Notices

Day One

Old 02-08-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day One

This morning when it was still dark I poured a 63 dollar bottle of crown royal canadian whisky down the toilet. I am tired of being sick and tired. I want a real life. I had 7 years of sobriety and it all went down the drain 5 years ago. I have had periods where I did not drink for months then weeks then days and it just kept getting worse and worse. Someone told me I need to work with other alcoholics to maintain recovery. I will try to do that . It is tough when the world is not the same as it was at the beginning of those 7 years. My higher power is God and I will really need him this time to keep sober and sane.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coz

Welcome regnevacs!
Sounds like you are committed to giving this a good go. I'm new to recovery, but from my experience, this is a great forum to get support, download thoughts, get ideas and communicate with a great bunch of people that really understand.
Keep reading and posting how you are doing!
Old 02-08-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. You've shown that you can stay sober in the past, hopefully you can make it stick this time around, best of luck
Old 02-08-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you found us, regnevacs. Welcome.
Here you'll find understanding & encouragement from those who know exactly how you feel.
I felt like you did when I came here after drinking 30 yrs. I tried every trick to moderate the amounts I drank - was desperate to not give it up. But why? I was so afraid to face life without my buffer - but it was destroying me. There was no more fun - just misery and chaos.
You sound ready - you can do it! It'll be great to be free.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Support to you, reg.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to S.R Regnevacs, we're all here for you. xx
Old 02-08-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! We're so glad that you are here. I agree with who told you about working with other alcoholics to stay sober. I too, have been struggleing the lat couple years and the recent game changer has been keeping close to this forum, going to my meetings and staying connected to other sober people. Even if it's just a hello text- it really helps. Have a great sober weekend!
Old 02-08-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm also getting serious about sobriety again after many false starts. This is a great place to chat / post and read what others are saying. Hang in there!
Old 02-08-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's amazing how much we are willing to spend on alcohol when we are drinking. It's almost as if it's a mandatory expense. Welcome to Day 1 regnevacs. (I enjoy typing in these user names and seeing what autocorrect tries to change them to).
Old 02-08-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Reg and welcome. This is the place you want to be if you are looking for help.
Ugh, looking at those pictures reminds me of the lowest days of my drinking when I would wake up in the very early hours of the morning feeling like death. I would have a bottle of whiskey beside my bed and with shaking hands I would take a few big gulps then lie back and hope I didn't promptly bring it back up again. Although I wasn't drinking the expensive stuff and that point. Basically as cheap as I could get because I wasn't drinking for the taste.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate Welcome... and glad you’re here!
Old 02-08-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums, and back to sobriety.
You had seven years, you can do it again.
I found working with other alcoholics here and in AA to be a life saver.
God is my higher power, also. I prayed for his help over eleven years ago and haven't found the need to consume alcohol since.

You can quit. We can help. Stick around, and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very glad to have you join us regnevacs - there's a ton of support here

D
Old 02-09-2020, 10:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 2 don't have any jitters except a slight tremor in my left hand. Hope that goes away. Through my many attempts at not drinking over the last year I noticed that tremor. We'll see I see my doctor on thursday. I will probably mention it to him. Thanks for all the support. I was not getting anything like that in counselling or addictions counselling. All I got was a blank stare when I mentioned God. I must have fired 8 counsellors. Because of the Govt here in canada they are not allowed to have an opinion or talk about God. How are people going to recover then if they believe in God? I am very glad I found this forum. I don't mean to say anything bad about the Church I go to but they have had a program to help people with addictions. And twice when I started the program it abruptly ended because I ended up the only one left and it was supposed to be a group. I have been through their program before about 11 years ago and there were 14 people there. What has happened? Do people not want to get better any more? So again I am glad that this forum is here. I used to go to aa meetings but even those meetings no matter where I would go are not the same as they were 12 or 13 years ago. Very disappointing.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just a thought my doctor is a Christian so maybe he would have some inside info on how i could find out about Christian counsellors.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum regnevacs. I have been able to find comfort in reading literature either here or by finding books on the topic, if that is at all helpful. I haven't tried going to a meeting yet but I do know for sure that there is a 12 step book out there for just about every flavor of religion (or lack thereof). I know that's not the same as going to a meeting in person, but I hope that it's helpful. This community is a huge help to me too - check in and let us know how it's going often.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am definitely interested in mobbing up with other non drinkers.

Thankfully my wife barely drinks, although when she does she is up to almost a full glass of real wine these days.

Before it was half a wine cooler.

Based on my expert experience , at that rate she should be about 150 before her addiction escalates to my level at 12 years old.

Being a non drinker is what all the real cool folks are in to.

Yay!

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 3. Slept quite well last night. Just wondering I think this group is based out of the US? So is it an issue that I am in Canada? Just wondering. It seems much easier to find the right kind of support in the US than here in canada any feedback would be helpful.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, regnevacs, from a fellow Canadian

I see posters here from all over the world. I tend to think of it as global support, always available no matter where a person is!