Notices

Questions

Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions

I am finishing up day 11 sober. A few questions.

Yesterday I had the worst cravings I have had to date.
Today was even worse.
Any thoughts as to when I might expect this to start subsiding instead of getting worse?

I am sleeping better and longer than I have in many years, but yet by the late afternoons, I feel so dang fatigued. Just worn out. Is this normal?

I am having to drink huge amounts of water to stay hydrated. Feel dried out all the time. I am wondering if this is related to my recovery, or could it be something else.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pound that water like it’s going out of style! You need it.

i was tired too. I’m on day 17. The way I thought about it was that the body does all its repairing during sleep. As much hell as we put our bodies through it’s wanting more sleep to reverse the damage.

drink water, sleep well, eat better, repeat.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All very normal.

Not exactly sure on the cravings.

That can vary greatly
Old 02-06-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if anyone said this, but drink lots of water!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drink lots of water! 😁
I am thirsty 24 7. Only a few days ahead of you so I guess it's normal.

I also find cravings are worse when hungry. Keep some snacks around. The 1st few days was chocolate for me.

This truly is mind over matter.
Reading up on AV has helped me realize what is going on inside my head.
I dont really want alcohol, it wants me. I am doing my best to not let it get me.

Good luck

Dont fall for the cravings . It's a ruse!
Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My cravings got better after the first month = for a lot of people it's a shorter time frame than that

Have you seen this link?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 02-07-2020, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I craved hard for well into 4 years. It slowly lessened, but when they hit it felt like the first time.

I know folks that regret relapse decades after quitting, but were not craving.

I call it the crave reinvented.

I will stay super clean by any means.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Physical cravings are very subjective. Emotional cravings - ie things like wanting an escape, being restless and antsy in your own skin, needing others yet being agitated at them...things that I had to figure out how to handle.

Thirsty, oh yes. I still have at least one bev on hand and if only one, it's water. I've varied on the caffeine intake over nearly 4 yr sober.

Exhaustion, completely and utterly for me. Naps were a big deal.

All of this gets better if you stay sober. 11 days is awesome and just the very very early start. Glad you are here.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drink Gatorade
Old 02-07-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What you are going through is completely normal. I'm on day 37.

"Yesterday I had the worst cravings I have had to date. Today was even worse."
-I'm keeping myself distracted when I'm not reading on SR. I'm either forcing myself to do chores (to create a new clean environment) or I'm binging on TV. I've also been consuming a lot of sugar which has really helped (dark chocolate is the bomb!).
-The cravings is your addictive (subconscious) voice kicking in. It takes time for that to quiet down but at 37 days it's finally starting to happen. The more distracted I am the less opportunity it gets to speak to me.

"I am sleeping better and longer than I have in many years, but yet by the late afternoons, I feel so dang fatigued. Just worn out. Is this normal?"
-Me too. Like others said you're in repair mode and most of that happens when we're sleeping so sleep as much as you can. I sleep so deeply now it takes a long time to wake up in the morning and i'm going for naps straight after work.

"I am having to drink huge amounts of water to stay hydrated. Feel dried out all the time. "
-This actually had my worried because I'm ALWAYS dried out as well. But as I've learned on here it can be a normal part of recovery. Drink lots and lots of water. Gatorade seems like a really good option...might try that.

I'm feeling a lot better than I did on Day 11 so it does get better!
Old 02-07-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I second what everyone says above!

Power naps are great if you can squeeze one in here or there during the day. Last week I had one, sorely needed. I thought, Good, you probably slept an hour or so, you feel better now. Glanced at clock: 5 minutes had passed!

So I have a new term for the mini-ones: Zap naps.

(P.S. to S45: Happy mutual day 37; update on the grow light coming for sure, well, almost kinda definitely surely, by tomorrow; ok Sunday at the latest).
Old 02-07-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank tons of water for a long time after a binge. But, you may want to see a doc because diabetes is another reason for insane thirst.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you using a method of recovery? It could make things much easier on you if you were.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitin2020 View Post
I am finishing up day 11 sober. A few questions.

Yesterday I had the worst cravings I have had to date.
Today was even worse.
Any thoughts as to when I might expect this to start subsiding instead of getting worse?

I am sleeping better and longer than I have in many years, but yet by the late afternoons, I feel so dang fatigued. Just worn out. Is this normal?

I am having to drink huge amounts of water to stay hydrated. Feel dried out all the time. I am wondering if this is related to my recovery, or could it be something else.
By day 11, my cravings were subsiding fast, and easily manageable, but I'm not sure what's normal. Early on, things are all over the map as you're scrambling to grasp the fundamentals. I had lots of questions about what was going on. I had a group to help with those, and even then, mostly I was finding my own way.

I sense you are worried, and there are lots of things to worry about, but I am certain than becoming sober is not one of them. Much of those other worries are red herrings that will never happen, but yes, life will still send you curves and surprises. It's been fun learning how to deal with them. You are headed for a better future.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know that when I was 11 days sober when I quit drinking the first time around, I was drinking plenty of fluids. I am now starting back on day 1 of sobriety after a recent relapse but water is essential and nothing is better than water.

Here are some statistics on water from a great book I read about eating healthy and reducing sugar intake and other things.

-Our body is made up of about 70% water

-Lack of water is the number one trigger for daytime fatigue

-Your body loses just as much water when you are asleep as when you are awake

-Your body needs just as much water in cold weather as it does in warm weather

-Research indicates that 8 to 10 glasses of water a day can significantly reduce back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers

-Just a mere 2% drop in body water can trigger brain fog and short term memory impedance

-Drinking five glasses of water a day decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%, and bladder cancer by 50%

Yet 98% of North Americans remain chronically dehydrated despite understanding the importance of drinking more water.

Your body needs a minimum of at least 50 ounces of water per day for every 100 pounds of body weight. So for example a person weighing 150 pounds would therefore need a minimum of at least 2 quarts of water per day, which comes out to a little more than 2 liters of water or 2.2 liters of water to be exact being that 500 ml or half a liter is 16.9 fluid ounces which is 1.05 pints.

Last edited by mikoss; 02-09-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I eat like it's going out of style.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Definitely drink lots of water and eat when you feel hungry. When blood sugar gets low for me, cravings can kick in. Also, I think it's ok to splurge a little on chocolate or a desert here and there...hey it's Girl Scout cookie season! Hang in there!