Notices

Leaving a Stressful Job and Sobriety

Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving a Stressful Job and Sobriety

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I posted as I've been unfortunately drinking periodically despite my long-term goal of being sober. Certainly it hasn't been as bad as the "dark days" back in 2014, but that's no excuse.

One big thing that has, in my opinion, perpetuating a desire to drink was a crazy stressful job that wore me out mentally on a daily basis. I left that job recently and it has been night and day how my mental outlook has been and a lack of desire to drink.

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. Anyone quit a stressful job and see good results in the sobriety department?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are posting. Yes, I both worked in and subsequently left stressful jobs. I am in the restaurant world, and have been sober 4 yrs this month.

I learned skills about navigating a toxic workplace where I was the first yr sober, as it was an accessible job to get me back on my financial feet. My goal was to be there a yr and that was how it unfolded. It did take an emotional toll but I have found that as with EVERY area of my life, as I built sober muscles, tools and time, it was worth the experience.

I have also gained good decision making skills and much better intuition as I have met more people and worked in far better and indeed excellent work cultures. I feel strongly that we can make the best decisions we can at any given time, using the info we have, and being sober is the only way for me to continue building my work and personal life the best it can be.

Becoming a valued member of society, a workplace, a family, everything gave me confidence to seek what this me deserves.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made the decision to change jobs and that is has really helped you. I was fortunate to be able to switch from full-time to part-time work. I had been in a crazy full-time job, had two young teens at home and a husband who travelled for work all the time. Working part-time was so beneficial for me.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Work related stress has been a major contributing factor in my drinking. I have a small business and am trying to avoid toxic customers and business associates, and learn to process stressful situations differently.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My first 6 months sober were the last 6 that I spent at an extremely stressful, high stakes job. Quitting drinking made the stress easier to deal with and then quitting the job made my sobriety that much more enjoyable. One does not preclude the other however.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good afternoon and glad you are doing better.

I have a job I really like but it requires dealing with a lot of conflict on behalf of our clients so it can be stressful especially since I had no boundaries between work and my life outside work. I started drinking more as stress piled up and eventually went into a recovery program and took 2 1/2 months paid leave from work fully intending to leave the job.

But during recovery, I realized that it had come to use alcohol to deal with life stress in general and had lost my ability to cope with even small setback without rushing to the bottle. So my job was to relearn how to rebuild resiliency and coping skills.

I returned to my job and am much more effective and able to navigate things that would have had me looking for reasons to blot out reality when I was drinking. My job is something that I enjoy again because I work on rebuilding the strengths I need to take on life with all its ups and downs, while maintaining sobriety.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi yes i quit my job but am waiting to go back part time. Im only 16 days in but feel the space away from work is helping me greatly to recover
Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m glad you were able to leave that job, and I’m glad you’re back posting! I have been sober for four years now, and in my new role for 2.5 years.

I was a school principal when I first got sober, which was extremely stressful and emotionally draining. While I loved what I was doing, I felt it impacting my family time and my mental health. I am now in a Director role, and I’m in charge of curriculum. My job involves lots of presenting and working with groups of teachers, and I absolutely love it.

I hope we will see you on here more often, and that you’re able to get sober for good.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I hope we will see you on here more often, and that you’re able to get sober for good.
Thank you!