Notices

Days we didn’t expect - WEEKENDERS 07 - 10th February 2020

Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Days we didn’t expect - WEEKENDERS 07 - 10th February 2020

Welcome to the Weekenders

I heard on the radio that Valentines Day is nearly upon us. There are so many adverts and reminders to not let us forget. ❤️

Being curious I wondered if any other days had any meanings this weekend and a couple or three I like (or not) that I’ve brought to the table.

Feel free to add any anecdotes or ones you know or like.

Wave All Your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day 7th February

Wave All Your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day is the perfect opportunity to greet your neighbor with a big wave. But, to show your respect and appreciation on this very important day, you must wave with all of your fingers!

Kite Flying Day 8th February

People have enjoyed flying kites for thousands of years. Its an ever popular activity for children, and enjoyed by many adults.
Ben Franklin was perhaps the most well known kite flyer. He flew a kite in a thunderstorm and discovered electricity. He got a charge out of flying kites! (I didn’t know that!)

Toothache Day 9th February

Toothache Day, one can only ask.... Why!?

National Pizza Day also 9th February
(Coincidence perhaps! )

Pizza is eaten for breakfast (often cold), lunch, dinner and as a late night snack. Who needs an excuse!

Enjoy your weekend whatever you decide.

There is so much more than in life than alcohol. Let’s go do it.

Let’s have an enjoyable Sober Weekend.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes.

(Psst. We’re not just here to talk about the good stuff, if you’re struggling.....shout out).
(We’re here all week too!)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, Shotgun!

Ooooh Pizza day sounds great, yum!
I’ll pick pizza over a toothache any day, thanks!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, me too I love pizza! Congratulations on Shotgun
Old 02-06-2020, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in and I need to be super vigilant this weekend as I screwed up last night and drank... This means living close to SR all weekend to make sure I've got support when I need it. I was sick in bed all day, what a joke, I do not wanna do that again..
Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you back Red. x
Old 02-06-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 02-06-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good that you’re straight back here Red I hope you’re feeling better soon.

I had another fight with the AV on the way home from work. It was cajoling and wheedling trying to get me to buy a bottle of wine on the way home and drown the crippling anxiety that’s been gripping me lately. Telling me “just tonight, for some relief”. Nooooo. I came straight home and unfortunately made a wee piggy of myself on sweet biscuits, chocolate and icecream, to the point of feeling a bit queasy but I don’t feel like drinking so I guess it worked. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.... But I will be glad tomorrow to wake up sober, even if I do regret cleaning the fridge and freezer out of sweet treats
Old 02-06-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pizza day sounds awesome Mags.

But the only wave i would give my neighbour is the 1 finger salute.

Its been a very, very sad day for me today. I had to have my beautiful dog Lewis put to sleep.
im devastated

xx
Old 02-06-2020, 02:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good weekend to all.

Jr is up early (since 4:30 a.m.) up here in New England, as we get our first wintry weather in a few weeks, but it looks like it will not amount to anything in terms of snow accumulation right outside my door so I will be relieved of snow-clearing duties. Yay, as we have lots of sidewalks here on this corner lot of this 3-family home.

Hubby will be off this morning and then away overnight due to a work conference and not back until tomorrow afternoon, so it'll be jr and the dogs (2) for the duration. Pre-2 January 2020 (my Day 1) that might have meant jr drinks the whole bottle of wine with dinner instead of splitting with hubs, and might have meant, once the pump was primed, seeing what the liquor cabinet might hold, as in scotch, gin, rye, or weak stuff like vermouth, and making a dent in one or more of those bottles without too obviously lowering the level of any one bottle in the one night of solo drinking. And while husband, when home, might have the occasional hit off the pot pipe, since he won't be around this evening maybe it might have meant that I may as well pull out my stash (it's legal now), and puff up a few tokes and surf for something on Netflix or somewhere that is more my style than hubby's, and have a little jr video binge to accompany the booze and pot-oriented one.

So that's the early weekend (Thursday evening) that won't happen here in jr-land tonight. Instead I'll no doubt be stopping by SobeRlandia for a while. I still may do a personal video binge, but with my new sobriety energy I have a couple of in-home projects under way that I might turn my attention to instead.

Still gotta attach the grow light system (purchased last weekend) under the shelf in the kitchen so I can start my indoor herb garden (a Christmas present), for one.

(As they say on those TV commercials hawking some latest gadget or gizmo, after telling you to order now by calling the number on your screen for free home delivery):

But wait! There's more!

However, the two dogs just wandered in from the bedroom (hubby got up ten minutes ago), so it's time to take them out and check out whether that rain/sleet/snow is yet upon us (I can't see from here because it is still dark out).

Catch y'all later.

Oh more more thing especially to you Ozzie folks who are most of the ones reading at this hour, I surmise: I stopped in again at the Oz-oriented local cafe yesterday and picked up a pound of their so-called Sidney blend coffee to brew at home (South American beans, but roasted Down Under, the cafe counter clerk said).

Another possible project for the weekend: Figure out how to post a photo here, and show you a shot or two of the tim tam display and other Australia paraphernalia adorning the shop.

G'day mates.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post

Its been a very, very sad day for me today. I had to have my beautiful dog Lewis put to sleep.
im devastated

xx
Oh love, I am so very sorry. s xxxxxxx ❤️❤️
Old 02-06-2020, 02:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was trying to work out which cafe it is jr, cos there seem to be about 10 Aussie Cafes in Boston....and I forget where you are now. (too early for me, still half asleep).

Well, the 10th is my birthday guys. And no, I have made no plans at all even though I said I would.

Thank you for the new thread darling Mags. s xx

Old 02-06-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

im devastated

xx

Oh that's bad to hear. It's got to be in the top 10 of awful things in life. Maybe a desert pizza, or maybe go to the ice cream shop to feel a little better.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

im devastated

xx
My heart goes out to you. I know the other day you mentioned that it was heading that way but I didn't think it was so imminent. So very sorry Snoozy and sleep well dear Lewis.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy birthday for the 10th venuscat.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jr, when my wife is gone for the weekend and I don't have too much work to do or anything, a typical course of events would be to ice down a bunch of beer and start in mid-afternoon. There would also be a bottle or two of red for making the switch later in the evening. But after checking upcoming movies for the evening, inevitably I would take out one of the Ken Burns 20 hour documentaries that I have already seen umpteen times.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sorry to hear about your lewis snooz...
Old 02-06-2020, 04:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good job fighting off the A/V Willow....
Old 02-06-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jump back on the wagon Red!
Willow, good show of strength! Dont worry about those snacks. Noone ever got locked up or ended up homeless from eating sweets.

Snoozyq I am so sorry. 😥😥 I have 2 dogs and even though I have a child they are my children also.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Morning jr, venus, kaily and dragon!
cityboy I am sad to report there will be no fishing reports as they are calling for 3+ inches of rain here and some strong winds.

I am taking advantage of it and making some upgrades to the boat.

Thanks for the thread mags!
Old 02-06-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have to make multiple post cause I'm on my phone and cant remember everyone at the same time so I have to post go back and make another list and post again.

It's fun getting old.