Notices

Still struggling

Old 02-05-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still struggling

Still struggling a lot but there is some improvement. I have been drinking around 3 days a week now generally with one big binge.

Binged last night but made it to work but felt awful. Will just have to try again.

I hope everyone is doing well and pray one day we will all find freedom from alcohol.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable,

I hope you decide to stop drinking and struggling.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I decided that a long time ago but find it very difficult to achieve.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Stable. I'm sorry you are still struggling. That part-time schedule you got going on is, in most cases, a temporary thing. It might last a week, or a month or even a few years, but history tells us that it very rarely if ever stays that way. We either quit or we continue to slide downward. I started lurking on this site last summer and I am living in Day 77 here. Best 77 days of my life since I was a kid. I hope you can walk away from the fight for good. I just had to admit that the booze won, I took the gloves off, turned in my drinking card, and walked away. I feel free from it.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope things go in a positive direction for you stable.

I could not do the moderation thing. Not at my level of progression. Finally realized that I was going to have to put it down.

I had to look hard at the causal factors and only then could I begin to approach the actual urges to drink. For me that included coming on here and laying out everything.

I've gotten a tremendous amount of help here.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually quitting is not the hard part - THINKING about quitting and refusing to fully commit to the idea is where the agony lies.

staying quit is a full time job. we change what we have to change, we seek the support that will put us in the best position to be successful, we rid ourselves of the crap and luggage we keep dragging around, and we get busy living.

remember - drinking less is STILL drinking. still feeding the beast. still letting it get bigger. it fools no one.

and if we discover that we need HELP, then we seek it out. as we would anything new, orany highly technical or tricky task to which we are under-skilled and under-prepared. nobody feels bad about having someone else file their taxes, or write up a legal document, put together a mortgage loan. the shame actually comes from NOT asking for help - in letting a solution pass us by when there are trained experts who can get us from where we are to where we want to be.

keep doing what you are doing, and you'll keep getting what you are getting.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you doing to stop drinking and stay stopped Stable?

D
Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've found the real struggle lies in remaining sober Stable. At least in these early days.

I'm 51 days sober today.

Thing is, the struggle to remain sober holds much greater reward. The struggle within the struggle is simply struggle. Got nothing going for it.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
That was my story too.

I tried for 3 years to stop and stay stopped.

Fresh hopes dashed time after time after time after time ... it gets really demoralising over 1095 days.

I had initially dismissed the 1st step of a certain program, but looked at it again through new eyes after my experience and was forced to admit ... "I know what that means now"
Old 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What have you done on the days you remain sober to help you? What supports have you tried in the past that worked? Can you think of something f you can add in that would help?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Yeah, it's hard to change but not impossible. Its certainly easier than using even in the short term and in the long run there's no comparison.

I hand it to you. You keep getting back up and trying. That's a very good sign.