Notices

Going to see my doctor can’t cope

Old 02-04-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Going to see my doctor can’t cope

I’m going to see my doc I feel so so low and have struggled to get long term sobriety. I still have a slip every few weeks etc. But mentally I feel very low and think I need some help with this. Don’t really want to go bk on anti depressants either as I’m scared they will make drinking or craving worse. But feeling so low at moment need some help. Also I’m concerned about going on anti depressants as I am looking at selling up and getting another morgage so don’t want life insurance to be denied. I know my health comes first but practically living here is not an option and I do need to move. Just feeling down and think it’s more than just alcohol
Old 02-04-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a good idea to me Eve. Don't rule out seeing a therapist or counselor either - not all MD's are well versed in mental illness. My experience is very similar to yours - I had underlying mental health issues that likely fueled my addiction. And quitting drinking in itself did not solve them.

My experience with meds was that they mostly just treated the symptoms, not the root cause. And regarding insurance, you are right that your health should always come first. Certainly do your research, but I can personally attest that i've seen several mental health professionals over the years and been prescribed multiple different meds and none of that had any effect on my ability to get life or health insurance.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

eve123,

You don't have to go this alone. Support from AA and NA groups are available anytime.

NA has a saying of "one drug, one solution" as alcohol is a drug and there is a solution.

Hang in there! Whatever road you take to sobriety and recovery is absolutely okay!!

Keep us updated. Keep posting.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's good that you are going to talk to your doctor about your struggles with depression. I know I needed to get my depression properly diagnosed and treated before I was able to stop drinking. And, Scott's suggestion to possibly see a therapist or counsellor could also be helpful. I'm glad that you're working on your recovery, Eve.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would agree with the above. I wouldn't fear antidepressants. Often in these situations you might have to be on them for only a short time. Therapy is always a great option. It would seem to me that antidepressants (should you go on them) would make you less likely to drink because with depression many of us use alcohol to self medicate. Your mental health should always come first, but in doing a quick internet search I've found that being on antidepressants can affect the rates you pay for insurance. I can't find that the insurance will be denied, but that has to be a possibility. Again, your mental health comes first. Talk to your doctor and best wishes.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think going to see your doctor is a good idea eve

D
Old 02-05-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good post, Eve. Reaching out for support by seeing your doc is very wise. I see mine Saturday for the 'stuff' in my head.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you, Eve?