Notices

400 days and grateful - some thoughts

Old 02-03-2020, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

400 days and grateful - some thoughts

Well, I have made it to 400 days today with the help of SR. I thought maybe I'd share some thoughts on what has worked for me so far. It took a long time with many false starts to get here and it is still a work in progress.

I guess the first lesson learnt is 'Don't drink, no matter what...'. When I was actively drinking my AV had twisted my thinking so much that every problem to be solved, every challenge to be faced, every emotion to be handled, basically living itself seemingly required a drink. The thought of living life without alcohol was scary and involved a leap in to the unknown. I knew though that the only way to learn how to do this was to do it.

I tried and failed many times to stop drinking but would always cave. I sought support, and lots of it. AA meetings, an alcohol counsellor, input from a psychiatrist and psychotherapist, support from selected members of my family and of course this website every day. All of this is available free if you need it enough (at least here in the UK). You'll need every resource you can muster to succeed.

I made a plan in writing of what I would do every day and agreed it with my team. This covered all the essentials such as healthy eating, exercise, relaxation and limited paid work alongside meetings and counselling. It covered contingencies such as what to do if I had a bad day and who I could call for help.

First I had a couple of weeks of supervised detox to get through. Then I stuck to the plan and 'did not drink, no matter what'. Some days were difficult and then it was a question of getting by hour by hour but I persisted. I consciously rewarded myself for simple recovery actions - going for a coffee instead of a beer, making a healthy meal, going for a swim etc. At first I did not enjoy the strict routine - it was, and felt like, hard work. As I healed I went through months of brain fog, anxiety and anhedonia.

This brings me to the second lesson. 'Have faith... It gets better.'. This is a simple belief but you have to hold on to it as hard as you can to get through.

And so on to the present day. I still have issues to deal with and life isn't perfect but it is hugely better than it was. The AV still crops up from time to time but I know it by now and can ignore it. 'Not drinking' is getting easier and easier as time goes by, though I am guarding against complacency. My recent physical health check came back with good results, I am sleeping well, starting to work at my highest level and enjoying old interests and hobbies that I had long forgotten.

I am very much looking forward to broadening my horizons this second year as I continue to heal and develop in recovery. I'm hugely grateful for the SR community here and all that it stands for. Thank you friends - long may SR continue.

Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats from a newbie!
Thanks for the post. It really helps to hear from the long timers.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm thrilled beyond words man - really - you've done a great thing - congrats
D
Old 02-03-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing. I’m on day 33 after many failed attempts. While I’m feeling strong at the moment you remind me of the importance of having that contingency plan in place.

Congratulations!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

400 days sober is great!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic! What an amazing accomplishment. Well done!
Old 02-03-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing! I considered stopping for a bottle this evening for no other reason than I just felt like it. It's so interesting to me how we mysteriously forget all that can and will happen with one sip, with four days or four hundred. Thanks again and congratulations!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congratulations Forwards, feels great eh? Hope your really proud of yourself!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you 🙏
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind comments.

All the above is simply what has worked for me so far and I intend to keep going one day at a time. I'll be adding a bit more personal development to the mix over the coming months. I hope as I learn going forwards I can share some of my experiences with newcomers and be of some help but ultimately everyone has to find their own way.

Keep close everyone... Best wishes, Forwards.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done Forwards, you are doing amazingly.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your post really helped me this morning Forwards. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

400 days is something to be proud of! Well done.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

CONGRATS and a great post, Forwards.