Notices

The Drive Home

Old 02-03-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Drive Home

I am on day 9 of being sober.
Here is my issue today:
One of my MAJOR triggers to drink is the drive home from work.
My truck just almost drives itself to any one of about a half dozen convenience stores on the way home. My routine is to stop in and buy beer on the way home if I am out.
I am out because I threw out all my beer at home yesterday.
It is going to be a struggle to pass all those C stores today and not stop for a six pack of pints, but I plan to just keep in driving by.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Quitin in my very early days I had to make a point not to carry any form of money or payment whenever I went out. Not easy I know but does give you a chance against that impulsive compulsive stop at the shop for drink.

Keep driving and well done on day 9 soon to be 10 .
Old 02-03-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make a plan to go somewhere else on the way home. Break your routine. Drive to a walking path if you have some nature nearby and walk for an hour or two. Anything to shake it up. Write down what you are going to do from the time you leave work and the time you go to bed. Make an agenda and stick to it. Just one small tool I used in early sobriety. Stay sober today Quitin. We don't drink anymore. Day 9 is amazing by the way!!!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 9.

I am exactly the same. Have my favorite stores to hit that have beer caves or that I know will have what I want. It has helped me tremendously to come on here for a few minutes before heading home from work each day.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was going to say something like Surrendered said. Take a new route home. Break the routine.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

My truck just almost drives itself to any one of about a half dozen convenience stores on the way home.
The key word is "almost", shows that you are not denial at who is really doing the driving. Stick to your plan. It will probably be a struggle like you said, but you will be glad in the end.

I never regretted not drinking. I can't say the same thing about drinking. :~)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses.
There is another (slightly longer) route that greatly reduces the number of stores I pass. I will adjust my route home. That is a good idea.
I will also plan on checking in here before I drive home this afternoon.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, changing routines or in this case, your route home, can be really helpful in breaking the habit part of drinking.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep away from the stores Quitin - just for a few days more and that habit/trigger could be gone because you wont' have acted on it. I have a small supermarket just 5 mins walk from home and the same from work so I just didn't go there (saved a fortune). After about 2 weeks I purposely went in to buy something and I forgot all about the booze aisle. I've done that half a dozen times now and all those bottles on the shelves wave at me and say "Me, me me, choose me!" I'm not saying it's easy and simple but that automatic surrender to the habit has gone. In the past, sometimes, I would get to the entrance of the shop before I realised I was even there. I'd not even made a conscious decision to go there.

Stay conscious and be aware of your thoughts and actions. You can do it - day 10! You deserve to keep those days, they're yours.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, silver. That's an interesting term "automatic surrender"
I have not ever thought of it that way, but it is absolutely true.
Good to know that it will fade over time.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Hi Quitin in my very early days I had to make a point not to carry any form of money or payment whenever I went out. Not easy I know but does give you a chance against that impulsive compulsive stop at the shop for drink.

Keep driving and well done on day 9 soon to be 10 .
I did the same thing, kept all the money locked in the safe for a while. It is not easy, of course but you have to do whatever is necessary to beat this.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Made it home without any serious thoughts of stopping at the store. Was easier than I expected. Will use the same route and routine tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear quitin2020