Notices

24 days sober update! ... And I got a sponsor!

Old 02-01-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 days sober update! ... And I got a sponsor!

So today makes 24 days sober from alcohol and drugs for me!! I went to a woman's meeting this morning which was really good and afterwards I asked the speaker if she would be my sponsor and she said yes! I related to her story a lot so I'm hoping that this is going to be a good fit. I meet her on Monday for a meeting for coffee and then we're going to do a meeting together.

5/10 more days until i move into the brand new apartment with my son!! We are still living with my friend who is an addict and sociopath so I am holding on by a thread but I have vowed not to drink over it...

I have now started tackling my longest and worst Addiction ever which is food addiction and binge eating. Not quite as deadly as alcohol but def more of a strong hold with me... It is my first day trying to do "abstinence" aka no insane food binges and its rough.... I also have an OA sponsor now as well.

Needless to say, tackling all this is a lot. I am trying out more meditation and prayer as many people lately have been telling me how important the higher power thing is and although I am a believer my beliefs don't fit right in the box with what many people talk about so it's hard for me to relate to the program spiritually and I'm trying to connect in my own kind of way I just don't want to slack on anything that will risk my sobriety.

I know it was long but thanks for listening!! 💙
Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rsanchez920 View Post
I'm trying to connect in my own kind of way💙
I don't see how anyone can do anything more than try to connect in one's own kind of way.

Congratulations on all counts, Rsanchez920. You are well on your way.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like things are going great, and you are well on your way.
Wow, you've accomplished a lot! Be proud of yourself.
I wouldn't worry about the Higher Power stuff until you work with your sponsor. Things will fall into place.
A very inspiring post. And congratulations for all you've done.
Imagine, It only gets better!
Old 02-01-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you found us here. For my part, binge eating has definitely been part of the cycle of drinking. Along with the withdrawal symptoms was a desire to eat anything in line of sight. After 22 days I'm feeling better about making healthier choices and hope to be moving towards better longterm health.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're doing well and moving forward. Good job on getting a sponsor and on deciding to work on your food addiction, as well.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rsanchez920 View Post
I have now started tackling my longest and worst Addiction ever which is food addiction and binge eating. Not quite as deadly as alcohol but def more of a strong hold with me... It is my first day trying to do "abstinence" aka no insane food binges and its rough.... I also have an OA sponsor now as well.
Food addiction issues are really tough. Here's a thread that might help. I wish you success in your recovery.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-4-a-18.html (Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 4)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Sounds like things are going great, and you are well on your way.
Wow, you've accomplished a lot! Be proud of yourself.
I wouldn't worry about the Higher Power stuff until you work with your sponsor. Things will fall into place.
A very inspiring post. And congratulations for all you've done.
Imagine, It only gets better!
Thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are doing amazing RSanchez. Once you get into a more peaceful housing situation, you can devote more of your psychic energy to your health and not have to worry so much about psycho roommate. Really really rooting for you. If one thing has to give between now and then, don't get too hardcore on the food thing. Staying drug and alcohol free is paramount in the next few weeks.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You are doing amazing RSanchez. Once you get into a more peaceful housing situation, you can devote more of your psychic energy to your health and not have to worry so much about psycho roommate. Really really rooting for you. If one thing has to give between now and then, don't get too hardcore on the food thing. Staying drug and alcohol free is paramount in the next few weeks.
I agree alcohol and hard drugs are definetely priority...
Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A good post, Rs. Keep posting.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Working the 12 steps helps us to achieve a relationship with a power greater than us!

Best wishes on your sober journey!
Old 02-04-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

24 days clean and sober is a great start to a better way of life. Keep going, it gets better.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hot diggity! You're doing it! For me it's a constant humility of calling a sponsor, showing up to meetings..maybe get a commitment!