Notices

6 months!!!

Old 02-01-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months!!!

I've been sober for 6 months today! I just can't believe it. It's amazing how you realize how bad it really was, the further you get into sobriety - and really realize how much time you've wasted.

My (hopefully) last night drinking.......I called in sick to work because i felt like crap from blacking out the day before. I went to a restaurant I liked (omelets are amazing) and had a super late breakfast around 2PM. I finished eating and finished my 3rd screwdriver - normally this would be when I'd leave.

For some reason I ordered a margarita, I never liked them. Next think i know it's 6PM and my boyfriend is calling me and wondering where i am. I texted him that i had to work late and wouldn't be home til midnight or so (happens all the time at my work so he didn't question it) - then i just kept drinking. I got cut off at 10pm and was totally blacked out - I got in my car and drove home. I slept in my car until 2am, snuck inside and went to bed.

At work the next day something felt different. I'd drank more than I planned, blacked out and drove numerous times - but I couldn't get past this one. 2 days later I was admitted to inpatient rehab.

It hasn't been easy, but all I feel is grateful. I'm grateful I never hit someone with my car, I'm grateful my boyfriend still wants to marry me, I'm grateful my job and co-workers have supported me, I'm grateful to wake up sober - I'm grateful for me weekends! My weekends feel so restful and so long now - can't believe how much time I wasted being drunk and/or hungover. Last Sunday I met some friends for breakfast at that same bar I drank at for (hopefully) the last time - it was like returning to the scene of a crime. I saw so many people I thought were friends - they didn't recognize me, and I surely didn't remember their names - while my breakfast was amazing I couldn't help but feel pain for what they are still going through, pain for what I've been through - just so much lost time.

I'm grateful for 6 months! I'm grateful for this forum. I never wanted to listen to the advice I was given here - I was in such deep, deep, deep denial, but it eventually worked it's way through and slapped me in the face! I'm grateful I never had to hit the bottom I always feared - killing someone while driving drunk.

Keep trucking - one day at a time.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your experience, strength
and hopes with us here in SR AND congratulations
on your sobriety as you continue to build a strong
recovery foundation to live upon for yrs to come.

Keep Coming Back is a phrase many of us have
often heard over the yrs because recovery works,
if we work it.

Good Job..!!!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six months, that's a great achievement. Many more sober days to you
Old 02-01-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Donny - Congrats on your 6 months of freedom. It's terrifying to think we drove in that state - practically unconscious. I did it too - never again. Well done!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months!
Old 02-01-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is so nice to read these sort of posts.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Congratulations on 6 months. A very inspiring testimony.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to read this - congrats Donny

D
Old 02-01-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats

Thanks for sharing your story💙