Notices

Hi All, New Here, almost made Day 3

Old 01-29-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All, New Here, almost made Day 3

Brand new here today. I was almost going to post a while ago that I made Day 3, I was 1 minute away. But darn it, I just got out of bed for water and I swear I could have dribbled a basketball with the shakes. So i of course being a first time withdrawer, I had to jump off the wagon and get a shot of vodka. Funny, no other symptoms, and laying down I am fine.

I am a typical pint a day guy for about a year fulltime, previous to that, just social or weekends for 10. could take as long a break as I wanted without trouble. Never go to bed drunk or have hangovers either. This past week I upped to 10 shots a day, only time I have done that much and not sure why. Monday I said I am done. Tuesday fine. Almost today, wap.

What kind of advice is out there when stopping. Dr off course, but what about outpatient phenobarbital or just taper off since these numbers are small from what I keep reading.

TIA
Old 01-29-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Futureme

we can't give you medical or medication advice here.

I have no experience at all with phenobarbital . Good question for the doc.

Tapering never worked for me - for me, it's like asking the guy who can't control how much he drinks to control how much drinks.

The common sense things are basically stay hydrated, eat as well as you can, and sleep wherever you can find it.

Things get better
D
Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been where you are. It's very tough at first but if you want it bad enough , you can do it. Lots of water. This has to be the most important thing in your life because it is. Best wishes. Hang around this place, it helps.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I'd recommend dumping whatever you have so those trips for water don't turn into random shots of vodka. It's crazy how quick an urge or that AV can change things.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome FutureMe. Tapering just doesn't work with this thing. The notion that you can drink unreasonably, and then for a period of days drink reasonably, then quit doesn't add up. And don't go exploring on your own other controlled substances to help you quit. Only a doc should do that with you, and generally they won't. Nobody on the interwebs, no Dr. Google and no WebMD. You have to go see a real doc for questions about detox symptoms or drugs. Keep posting on here and let us know how things are going.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,

i just stopped cold turkey been boozing for nearly 30 years with the odd few week breaks here and there.

This time was way more difficult!

First few days last week and weekend thought i was heading for the furnace! Anxiety and panic through the roof doc gave me diazepam only small dosage that got me through first 3 days.

Could hardly hold a cup muscles were weak and even saw the dreaded spiders a couple of times and dull headache that painkillers didn't do anything with, today day 8 at least feeling much better maybe tomorrow will be rough but just got to keep pushing through it,

Just be honest with your doctor and ask for help.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See a doctor for medical assistance with withdrawal, it makes it so much easier.

Then try an AA meeting as a newcomer to get some face to face support from people who have gotten sober.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like other people have said, the doctor is your best option. I tried to taper and failed miserably. Next, clear your schedule and sleep as much as you can. You probably won’t have much energy to do anything else. I use my withdrawal experience as a tool to not drink anymore. No way I can go through that again. Not trying to scare you but that is the harsh reality of alcohol abuse. Just know that the withdrawal symptoms do pass fairly quickly. It won’t feel quick but in 3-4 days you’ll feel a lot better.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, FutureMe.

You can do this. Sticking close to this board, checking in daily and reading lots of posts on here has really helped me.

Stay with us.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If you can see your doctor and get their help getting thru withdrawal, that would be the best option. If you can't do that, you'll just have to get thru it the best you can. Physical withdrawal lasts a few days to a week. But if you stay sober you should be feeling better in several days. But only if you stay completely sober, no 'withdrawal shots'. That will just set you back to day one, and the w/d gets worse each time you drink again.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Phenobarbitol is an epileptic seizure med and a barbituate, not a Benzodiazepine that is typically used to treat alcohol detox in my experience.

I would really check with your doctor before self medicating.

Alcohol detox is no joke and adding pills without doctor approval is never a good idea.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believe librium is the most commonly prescribed medication for withdrawals. I personally don't have the willpower for tapering. A small % on this forum I believe have tapered successfully.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I was waiting until I met my primary before I replied again. All is well. However......

An hour after my very first post, the start of this thread, I was in the ER. Uncontrollable jitters. It took 5 shots of phenobarbital to calm me down. Not a fan of that stuff at all. At first the nurse thought I was a drug seeker. But when the shots didnt work and make me sleepy as they had planned (wanted to juice me up to stop shakes, detox and go home) they knew something was wrong. Reverse effect, I was alert as I have ever been. Admittance labs showed zero alcohol in my blood (I must metabolize quick, they didnt believe I had been downing a few shots just 30 minutes before taken in). Forced them to give me a second look and EKG. My heart rate was almost off the machine. One look at the nurse staring down at me, and I knew SHTF. Rushed me to a bed, IVs, whole nine yards.

After 2 days of doctors all over me, it turns out all I had was a nutrition imbalance and they told me I did not have any form of alcohol withdrawal or dependence, my jitters did not closely resemble withdrawal. Jitters were due to the fact I only ate 1 meal a day, no vitamins, no water, etc to keep my weight in check and my body had had enough of that routine. Labs and organ ultrasounds indicate I am healthy as a horse.

Little wake up call I guess to just flat out stop either way. And since then I could care less about booze these past 2 weeks and even go to the liquor store for lotto and have zero interest in buying a bottle.

Very odd this all happened just an hour or so after my very first post.

That nurse that almost turned me away doesnt know she saved my life by giving me the 2nd evaluation. Doc said if she discharged me, I would have died in a day or two from shock or siezures from too danger low nutrition. The nurse will not remember me, but I will always remember her eyes and that look on her face. Healthy diet and lifestyle from here on out.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Looks like you had an angel/higher power/outside force watching over you my friend. Better do something good with this gift you've been given!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to sobriety. Your path was a lot harder than most of ours.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you had to go through that but I'm glad you're seeing it as a wake up call FutureMe

D
Old 02-16-2020, 09:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Close call FutureMe. Sheeee!

So happy you heve decided to turn it all around.

Healthy diet and lifestyle the way to go.

Praise to the nurse.

Agree with ShiftHappens. Phenobarbital is a barbiturate, not a benzo as typically prescribed for alcohol withdrawal.

Keep posting.