Notices

Getting Back to Work During Early Sobriety

Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Back to Work During Early Sobriety

My first week as a full time employee is going well. Did well on my presentation but these long hours are getting to me as I still feel tired. I made my first mistake at work today, it was a typo and a careless error. I feel like I'm not able to get as much done as I used to when high, but I'm sure that will change in time. Had anyone else felt the same? And if so, tips would be appreciated. I know I need to get used to working now that I’m sober and the more I do it the better. I’m not sure if I should say anything to my boss. Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope everyone is having a great night
Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is definitely not the best things are going to get sendsleep you'll be ok

D
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My Tips are eat well and sleep well. you will get up to speed sooner than you think.😊🇺🇸😀😍😃
Old 01-30-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on getting back to work! That was a big deal for me. I didn't work for about 5-6 wks then I went to a fast food job. It was structured hours, important to get things rung in correctly, etc. I definitely needed more fog clearing and alertness.

I took naps around work, as sleep was (and still is) a struggle for me. But it gets better and my kind of tired became due to a full day at work! not hungover or drunk tired. Way better.

Glad you are here! Keep going.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and dont worry about that. Long as you are off the sauce you will be ok. Keep it simple . get your rest. Eat well. You will see the improvement. ✌
Old 01-30-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Hello and dont worry about that. Long as you are off the sauce you will be ok. Keep it simple . get your rest. Eat well. You will see the improvement. ✌
Thank you! I’ve been trying to eat well and get back on a normal sleep schedule. My hours are pretty long and the tiredness from being off adderall is still there, so I feel pretty tired lol.How long did it take before you saw improvement? Glad I’ll see an improvement and am going to be patient.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job on getting back to work! That was a big deal for me. I didn't work for about 5-6 wks then I went to a fast food job. It was structured hours, important to get things rung in correctly, etc. I definitely needed more fog clearing and alertness.

I took naps around work, as sleep was (and still is) a struggle for me. But it gets better and my kind of tired became due to a full day at work! not hungover or drunk tired. Way better.

Glad you are here! Keep going.
Thank you! I’m glad to hear it gets better! I recently accepted a full time position at my job, I was part tune before. So the new hours, fog and post adderall tiredness can be hard, but I’m going to be patient and try to get on a normal sleep schedule, eat well and be patient. You are so right in the new kind of tired, way better. Hope your morning is going well!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
My Tips are eat well and sleep well. you will get up to speed sooner than you think.😊🇺🇸😀😍😃
Thank you! I will try to eat well and get my sleep schedule fixed lol.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is definitely not the best things are going to get sendsleep you'll be ok

D
Thanks! I’m sure you’re right and I’ll be patient with myself
Old 01-30-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SendSleep View Post
My first week as a full time employee is going well. Did well on my presentation but these long hours are getting to me as I still feel tired. I made my first mistake at work today, it was a typo and a careless error. I feel like I'm not able to get as much done as I used to when high, but I'm sure that will change in time. Had anyone else felt the same? And if so, tips would be appreciated. I know I need to get used to working now that I’m sober and the more I do it the better. I’m not sure if I should say anything to my boss. Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope everyone is having a great night
Hi SendSleep.

Typos happen. As they say in Brooklyn:

"The only person who never makes a toypo is the one who is afraid to toype."

Typos happen. You realize that, right? To everybody who types. Without going too deeply into it at the moment due to toime constraints, I am wondering whether you are magnifying the, um, magnitude of what you say is your first mistake on the job.

You say yours was "a careless error."

You also say this was your first week as a full-time employee, and that you did well on your presentation.

How long had you been working part time with this company before you went full time? However long it was, you did well enough that they asked you to come on board full time, right?

You say, "I am not sure if I should say anything to my boss." I am not not sure either (how could anyone be except the person who knows the full story, which is you), but a couple of considerations come to mind as to how you might decide whether to say anything, and if so, what to say:

Is this the same boss who contacted you during your vacation last week while the company was shut down, and asked you to spend a good part of your Sunday on a rush job? If so, this boss knows that you gave up your free time and complied with his request. Does this boss also know that not only did you do the part of the job that the boss asked you to do, but you also took on the second portion of that job, the part that your coworker was too hung over to take over on Sunday afternoon?

About what, exactly, is it that you are not sure whether to say something?

Self-quiz for SendSleep:

Do you mean you're not sure whether to say anything to your boss about:

A. the typo/careless error?

or, as might be suggested from context, are you wondering whether you should say anything about:

B. the fact that this is your first week performing your job sober, so you hope the boss will cut you some slack until you get used to this strange state called sobriety?

Jr's perspective, based on limited facts:

Option B? Nah, I can't see any way in which that improves you overall situation in the long run. Honesty is the best policy, yada yada, and (imho) you want to steer clear of outright lies and misrepresentations, but in some situations discretion is the greater part of valor. So be valorous, SendSleep!

Option A? Maybe. Like all answers, the correct one here is "It depends." I am assuming your boss knows about your so-called error, and s/he knows you know that s/he knows, right? So if the error was big, and grey, and had a trunk and big ears, it would be the elephant in the room, right?

If all those assumptions are right, then maybe you don't want to ignore the elephant in the room.

If I were a boss, I think I'd appreciate the fortitude of an employee who approached me and forthrightly took responsibility for an error we both know the employee made, especially if the employee showed some insight into how the error crept in, and perhaps asked me for guidance in taking steps to lessen the chances of a repeat error.

But, SS, you don't want to blow the error out of proportion, either in your own mind or in any discussion you might have with your boss.

Jr's short answer: You're doing a fine job, SS. Don't worry (as in obsess) over your typo. Put it in perspective, learn from your mistakes (and maybe let your boss know you are aiming to do just that), and carry on.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are doing fine SendSleep. I would be careful what you talk with your boss about if your suggestion was to perhaps talk about being in recovery. There needs to be some deep trust there before you do that. Discrimination against recovering folks is alive and well. But back to your post, the feeling I had for at least the first month I was sober was one of shocked emptiness. I felt like I couldn't get anything done. Looking back I honestly think it was my mind and body getting accustomed to quiet and calm - two states that were not a part of my life ever for several decades. Hang in there and my humble opinion is that from your report, you are right on track.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Hi SendSleep.

Typos happen. As they say in Brooklyn:

"The only person who never makes a toypo is the one who is afraid to toype."

Typos happen. You realize that, right? To everybody who types. Without going too deeply into it at the moment due to toime constraints, I am wondering whether you are magnifying the, um, magnitude of what you say is your first mistake on the job.

You say yours was "a careless error."

You also say this was your first week as a full-time employee, and that you did well on your presentation.

How long had you been working part time with this company before you went full time? However long it was, you did well enough that they asked you to come on board full time, right?

You say, "I am not sure if I should say anything to my boss." I am not not sure either (how could anyone be except the person who knows the full story, which is you), but a couple of considerations come to mind as to how you might decide whether to say anything, and if so, what to say:

Is this the same boss who contacted you during your vacation last week while the company was shut down, and asked you to spend a good part of your Sunday on a rush job? If so, this boss knows that you gave up your free time and complied with his request. Does this boss also know that not only did you do the part of the job that the boss asked you to do, but you also took on the second portion of that job, the part that your coworker was too hung over to take over on Sunday afternoon?

About what, exactly, is it that you are not sure whether to say something?

Self-quiz for SendSleep:

Do you mean you're not sure whether to say anything to your boss about:

A. the typo/careless error?

or, as might be suggested from context, are you wondering whether you should say anything about:

B. the fact that this is your first week performing your job sober, so you hope the boss will cut you some slack until you get used to this strange state called sobriety?

Jr's perspective, based on limited facts:

Option B? Nah, I can't see any way in which that improves you overall situation in the long run. Honesty is the best policy, yada yada, and (imho) you want to steer clear of outright lies and misrepresentations, but in some situations discretion is the greater part of valor. So be valorous, SendSleep!

Option A? Maybe. Like all answers, the correct one here is "It depends." I am assuming your boss knows about your so-called error, and s/he knows you know that s/he knows, right? So if the error was big, and grey, and had a trunk and big ears, it would be the elephant in the room, right?

If all those assumptions are right, then maybe you don't want to ignore the elephant in the room.

If I were a boss, I think I'd appreciate the fortitude of an employee who approached me and forthrightly took responsibility for an error we both know the employee made, especially if the employee showed some insight into how the error crept in, and perhaps asked me for guidance in taking steps to lessen the chances of a repeat error.

But, SS, you don't want to blow the error out of proportion, either in your own mind or in any discussion you might have with your boss.

Jr's short answer: You're doing a fine job, SS. Don't worry (as in obsess) over your typo. Put it in perspective, learn from your mistakes (and maybe let your boss know you are aiming to do just that), and carry on.
thanks! I am one of those people that want to be perfect, I know there’s no such thing as perfect. So that’s why I’m being hard on myself about my first mistake. You’re right though, everyone makes typos. I was working about six months before I was asked to go on full-time. Yes I was wondering about if I should say something about the typo (option A), you’re right on not saying anything about being sober, def don’t want to tell him anything about being in recovery, don’t want him knowing my personal business.

yes this is the same boss and asked me to work on the weekend and he doesn’t know that I took over my coworkers part of that job because she was too hangover. you are right, I should address the error and move on. I’m sure my boss will appreciate me owning up to the area, as they know what happened as well. I’m going to try not to blow it out of proportion because as you said everyone makes errors and I need to get used to the fact I’m not perfect, and that’s okay.

thank you again for your insights, and suggestions on talking to my boss about there. I’ll let you know how it goes! hope your morning is going well
Old 01-30-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
It sounds like you are doing fine SendSleep. I would be careful what you talk with your boss about if your suggestion was to perhaps talk about being in recovery. There needs to be some deep trust there before you do that. Discrimination against recovering folks is alive and well. But back to your post, the feeling I had for at least the first month I was sober was one of shocked emptiness. I felt like I couldn't get anything done. Looking back I honestly think it was my mind and body getting accustomed to quiet and calm - two states that were not a part of my life ever for several decades. Hang in there and my humble opinion is that from your report, you are right on track.
Thank you! My suggestion was to talk to him about the mistake, since he knew it happened, I felt like I should own up to it. I agree, I don’t want my boss knowing my personal details as we don’t have that deep level of trust.

I feel that way right now! Like I can’t get anything done and my work isn’t as good as when I was high, but you are right - I am adjusting and I need to be patient with myself. Thank you, I really hope so.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My boss wasn’t in today, so I couldn’t talk to him about my mistake. Plan to talk to him tomorrow A person above me asked if I was okay because I seemed distracted, I wasn’t, it was more that there’s a lot going on with many clients and I feel like I’m having a hard time keeping up or like staying focused. We’re also moving offices tomorrow so have to pack up all my stuff, I guess a lot going on. I’m going to be patient with myself and know that I’ll catch up and my work will be better than before when I was high. Thank you all for the advice, it really helps. Hope everyone is having a good night
Old 01-31-2020, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My boss wasn’t in today, so I couldn’t talk to him about my mistake. Plan to talk to him tomorrow A person above me asked if I was okay because I seemed distracted, I wasn’t, it was more that there’s a lot going on with many clients and I feel like I’m having a hard time keeping up or like staying focused. We’re also moving offices tomorrow so have to pack up all my stuff, I guess a lot going on. I’m going to be patient with myself and know that I’ll catch up and my work will be better than before when I was high. Thank you all for the advice, it really helps. Hope everyone is having a good night
Happy Friday, SendSleep.

"I guess a lot going on." Yes, I guess you do have a lot going on. Went sober from the Adderall last week after a tweaking session had you up, and up, and up for days; still not sleeping well when boss contacts you with a work assignment for the weekend during vacation; Monday you start your first week on full-time hours; big presentation to a client on Tuesday goes great; whatever this typo thing was happens Wednesday; moving your offices on Friday.

Good for you for juggling all this during your first week of sobriety.

In another post you say:

"I'm sure my boss will appreciate me owning up to the area, as they know what happened as well."

What is an "area"? Is that a group of your coworkers? So are you planning to state your mea culpa to the whole group?

I'm just trying to get the picture of how you would go about "owning up to the area." Would you stand and get everyone's attention? Or would you send a group email? Or what?

SS, please do not feel obligated to answer each my sort of quiz questions above (although you may do so if you wish, of course). I guess I just want to reinforce the message that depending on how large or small your typo was in the scheme of things at your workplace, you don't want to blow the error, and your acceptance of responsibility for it, out of proportion.

In your time with the company have you observed when others have made errors of lesser, equal, or greater magnitude? If so, you may wish to think about whether, and how, they owned up to their errors, if at all, and perhaps think about scaling your own response accordingly.

As usual from jr (and from SR in general, come to think of it), these are just some thoughts. They come, they go. Take from them what you will, and leave the rest.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy Friday, SendSleep.

"I guess a lot going on." Yes, I guess you do have a lot going on. Went sober from the Adderall last week after a tweaking session had you up, and up, and up for days; still not sleeping well when boss contacts you with a work assignment for the weekend during vacation; Monday you start your first week on full-time hours; big presentation to a client on Tuesday goes great; whatever this typo thing was happens Wednesday; moving your offices on Friday.

Good for you for juggling all this during your first week of sobriety.

In another post you say:

"I'm sure my boss will appreciate me owning up to the area, as they know what happened as well."

What is an "area"? Is that a group of your coworkers? So are you planning to state your mea culpa to the whole group?

I'm just trying to get the picture of how you would go about "owning up to the area." Would you stand and get everyone's attention? Or would you send a group email? Or what?

SS, please do not feel obligated to answer each my sort of quiz questions above (although you may do so if you wish, of course). I guess I just want to reinforce the message that depending on how large or small your typo was in the scheme of things at your workplace, you don't want to blow the error, and your acceptance of responsibility for it, out of proportion.

In your time with the company have you observed when others have made errors of lesser, equal, or greater magnitude? If so, you may wish to think about whether, and how, they owned up to their errors, if at all, and perhaps think about scaling your own response accordingly.

As usual from jr (and from SR in general, come to think of it), these are just some thoughts. They come, they go. Take from them what you will, and leave the rest.
happy Friday to you too, jr!

yes, you are right I do have a lot going on this week. I’m glad the week is almost over. Thanks, it was a bit much to manage my first week sober but I did it! And I’m sure I handled it better sober than I would have if I was high.

in that other post I meant to say on up to my error, this is why I shouldn’t use voice to type :P i’d only tell my boss, not my coworkers. In the past, when people have made countless errors, more serious than mine and for a pattern of like six months and don’t own up, they have been fired.

For people that I made errors this is serious as mine, nothing has happened to them and they let the boss know they are sorry and have a plan so it won’t happen again. In the scheme of things, the typo wasn’t terrible, and I was able to fix it on social media, although the client did say and sent an email. I just beat myself up a lot because I want to be perfect, but as I know there’s no such thing. Since a day has passed, I wonder if I should own up to my boss since he knows it happened, although it was fixed. Will be moving offices today so things will be hectic in general, maybe I’ll just mention it to him in passing.

thank you, for the advice and insights. I hope your morning is going well
Old 01-31-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

happy Friday to you too, jr!

yes, you are right I do have a lot going on this week. I’m glad the week is almost over. Thanks, it was a bit much to manage my first week sober but I did it! And I’m sure I handled it better sober than I would have if I was high.

in that other post I meant to say on up to my error, this is why I shouldn’t use voice to type :P i’d only tell my boss, not my coworkers. In the past, when people have made countless errors, more serious than mine and for a pattern of like six months and don’t own up, they have been fired.

For people that I made errors this is serious as mine, nothing has happened to them and they let the boss know they are sorry and have a plan so it won’t happen again. In the scheme of things, the typo wasn’t terrible, and I was able to fix it on social media, although the client did say and sent an email. I just beat myself up a lot because I want to be perfect, but as I know there’s no such thing. Since a day has passed, I wonder if I should own up to my boss since he knows it happened, although it was fixed. Will be moving offices today so things will be hectic in general, maybe I’ll just mention it to him in passing.

thank you, for the advice and insights. I hope your morning is going well
And your plans for the weekend, SS? (Or maybe you want to post those over in the weekender thread.) You haven't mentioned, that I recall seeing, any concerns that you might contact your party-connection friends to score some addies and do whatever it is you used to do that constituted the "party." Did you go to dance clubs? Have house parties?

Maybe you can get together with the friend who assisted you in dumping the pills? You had mentioned wanting to explore more of NYC; how long have you lived in the city?
Old 01-31-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

And your plans for the weekend, SS? (Or maybe you want to post those over in the weekender thread.) You haven't mentioned, that I recall seeing, any concerns that you might contact your party-connection friends to score some addies and do whatever it is you used to do that constituted the "party." Did you go to dance clubs? Have house parties?

Maybe you can get together with the friend who assisted you in dumping the pills? You had mentioned wanting to explore more of NYC; how long have you lived in the city?

I plan to get sleep haha (because work is exhausting this week lol) and get together with my friend who helped me dump the pills. We’re probably going to explore some of the city. I’ve lived in NYC for a little over two years, but I feel like I haven’t really explored.

I’m not too concerned about contacting them because I’ll be with my mom using friend, so I’ll be having fun and be distracted from any thoughts. I also did tell them I’m done with using and they just replied “OK”. My party-connection friends live in my neighborhood, so I do sometimes worry about running into them, but Brooklyn is a big place lol. we had house parties mainly and occasionally went out to clubs, basically stayed out till the morning haha! I remember watching the sunrise many times and knowing it was going to be a long day lol.

what are your plans for the weekend?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I forget whether I posted any weekend plans on the Weekender thread, but if I come up with anything interesting I'll post it there.

Hey SS, I'm going to be in NYC in a few weeks, Presidents Weekend, so depending on how everything is going maybe we can get together. I'll be staying at a friend's place on the LES (lower east side), with a great view of Brooklyn across the East River between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge. There's that newish ferry now that you or I can take to or from Brooklyn or Manhattan to meet up if schedules allow.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves but as the time gets closer we can see if it's going to work out and make specific plans via our text/phone connection.

You still at work? I am, but I'm at a cafe and I cannot wait to tell Greater SobeRlandia about the Aussie connections of this place that I've been to before just for a quick cuppa and did not realize the whole place is Aussie-oriented. If only I knew how to post a photo to SR. I know the instructions are out there but I haven't tackled them yet, and when one is from a certain hoary era these things do not come intuitively.

Meanwhile, for example, I can say there is a diamond-shaped highway sign with a graphic of a 'roo on the wall.

Do they really call them 'roos?

The menu on the wall says "Aussie Pies" and "Aussie Treats" with listings below, and now I know what a tim tam is, and tasted of three of them, and they were good.

And of course the flag is hung above the window, and a boomerang right here next to where I am sitting, and rugby shirts, I think they are. One says Richmond Tigers, the other has a big VB inside a ball on the front of the shirt.

The clerk (who is not an Aussie but makes a mean chai latte with espresso) says the owner hails from Sydney.

OK, as I said, I am working. Gotta send a few workywork emails.

Ta,
jr
Old 01-31-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah we call them roos
VB is a beer, so least said about that the better

D