Notices

It’s worth it

Old 01-28-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s worth it

I see people struggling, I remember it well
Getting sober is NOT EASY, The physical withdrawals, sweats, insomnia (still don’t sleep but that’s ok) mental anguish, socially ineptness didn’t go away for a few months. It was a long slog, nobody had faith in me which I understood. I was lonely started going to AA couple of meetings a day just listened took suggestions.
Made a plan I wasn’t going to pick up no matter what. Some days it was don’t let me drink an hr at a time, a day at a time a moment. I drank for 40 yrs teens thru53yrs old. I’m 56 now.
I just want to say it gets better, your body and mind get better. Your relationships get better. You are no longer ashamed and feel like your inferior to every person that you meet. You feel like you have a purpose again.
Life is not always great, there are always new situations that come up good and bad. You can face them though. I ran from everything I’m not running anymore.
I had to figure out what I liked to do . I still ski, play golf see bands and not drink. I don’t go jet games anymore, tailgating bores me. I take walks , fix things in my house. Try to guide my kids 1 is in college other 2 high school. Be a good husband, that’s tough always thought I’m ok you should be too. That doesn’t work.
It’s a great feeling when you wake up one day and think wow I don’t want to drink today. I’m rambling hope this helps someone, it helps me
Kevin.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coz

Great post - very encouraging for me who is just starting the journey and feeling the pain. Thanks heaps Kevin
Old 01-28-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Kevin. That is a useful and encouraging post. Figuring out what I like to do is going to be on my agenda this year. I didn't give up all my old life but enough stuff has been let go of to make room for me to try out some new things. Thanks for the reminder to take that bull by the horns.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting!
Never gets old hearing from those that have what I want.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very nicely said, thank you.

Actually I've always thought tailgating was boring, even when I was drinking.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Rambling can be a good thing. It helps to clear the mind. I frequently talk to myself. I talk to myself so much so that the saftey manager at my work needed to have a talk with me just "see if I was all right".

Me: Ya know, it's not healthy to talk to yourself.
Me: Shut up, it's fine.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for an uplifting & helpful post Kevin. I'm so happy you're doing great & have a whole new life. I wish I hadn't clung to it for so long - thinking it was helping me. The freedom is beautiful.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Preach!

Spot on stuff.

-B