Notices

Eastenders - Linda Carter

Old 01-27-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eastenders - Linda Carter

For those of you in the UK who watch Eastenders, I was wondering your thoughts on the Linda Carter alcoholism storyline.

Personally I feel they are handling this storyline extremely well. The show seems unafraid to portray the bleak reality of living as an addict, and is showing the horror of alcoholism as well as the real pain and suffering experienced by the addict and her family/friends. The NYE episode was particularly powerful, the way they showed her seemingly having a great time whilst actually she is descending into the dark madness I’m sure we all recognise so well. The way she completely forgets certain things have happened and at times actually imagines things that didn’t really happen left me with chills as that is all too familiar to me.

I’m also glad that it is an ongoing storyline, and it shows the mental struggle the character is going through, the all too familiar battle of the personality fighting the disease. The actress who plays Linda is doing a remarkable job, and I hope it reaches many more people because addiction seems rife in British society these day’s and little to nothing is seemingly being done about it.

Last edited by SuperMario; 01-27-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 01-27-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi yeah i agree the story has been portrayed realistically too in my opinion, its very powerful and yes at times harrowing to watch, with me sadly and scarcely seeing myself exactly in alot of those positions at times, certainly a eye opener as to how alcohol can take over you

Last edited by Tinkerbeau; 01-27-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-27-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an expat and get forced to watch this show whenever I return home for Christmas (I did used to watch it myself years ago, but it's definitely not something I miss from living in the UK)

The Linda story was honestly driving me insane. I must say that the portrayal over NYE was really good compared to Eastenders' usual standards. The acting was somewhat decent and they did portray the reality well to the point it made me feel awkward in a lot of places (that memory loss part with Sharon) but I simply cannot stand the way they show others handling her situation. The way they had Mick behaving was honestly a joke (I hear he's much the same since I left after Christmas) Endangering her child, complaints from school etc and all I remember him saying was 'We'll get you help' but continuing to carry on working with her in the pub and just giving her endless weak squint eyed stares while he polished pint glasses. I've no idea if that's still happening, but what I saw over Christmas was ridiculous and hopefully they aren't just doing weeks more of Mick staring at her as she smacks him. They do like to drag things out forever. I'd probably be ok with it if they had in fact gone to get her help at some point (even if the help didn't work, at least showing someone helping her would have been good). Maybe since I've left they have.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
I'm an expat and get forced to watch this show whenever I return home for Christmas (I did used to watch it myself years ago, but it's definitely not something I miss from living in the UK)

The Linda story was honestly driving me insane. I must say that the portrayal over NYE was really good compared to Eastenders' usual standards. The acting was somewhat decent and they did portray the reality well to the point it made me feel awkward in a lot of places (that memory loss part with Sharon) but I simply cannot stand the way they show others handling her situation. The way they had Mick behaving was honestly a joke (I hear he's much the same since I left after Christmas) Endangering her child, complaints from school etc and all I remember him saying was 'We'll get you help' but continuing to carry on working with her in the pub and just giving her endless weak squint eyed stares while he polished pint glasses. I've no idea if that's still happening, but what I saw over Christmas was ridiculous and hopefully they aren't just doing weeks more of Mick staring and her smacking him. They do like to drag things out forever.
Haha it’s funny you mention being forced to watch it over Christmas - that’s exactly how I’ve started watching it again (the last time I watched it properly was when Archie Mitchell married Peggy!). The reason I’ve continued watching it is simply due to this storyline. As Tink said, it hits home far too much that it made me uncomfortable (it was like seeing myself on screen). I was also drinking at the time, and it actually made me feel ashamed of myself, I could not deny that what I was seeing was so true to my own behaviour.

I understand your gripe with it, but actually I think a lot of people put up with the behaviour and in many ways enable it when they don’t know what they are being faced with or how to handle it. Someone who isn’t an alcoholic simply cannot understand, and so feel powerless and helpless, not to mention the stigma surrounding it doesn’t encourage open dialogue. I understand your feelings towards it but it’s really well done in that it’s showing how the thing spirals; even as Linda pleads with Mick and professes that she will change, you can see the cogs in her mind turn as she is torn between doing what is right and being her true self and her all-consuming battle with alcohol. As we know, alcoholism isn’t just the preserve of park-bench drunks but mums, dads, brothers, sisters, lawyers, doctors, store workers, the young, the old, the middle-aged etc. Put it this way - whatever its faults, it really holds up a mirror to people like me and almost forces the viewer to confront their own issues. I’m glad it’s being done at this time.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha, I used to watch Eastenders years ago, very addictive but not that good for you. Ill take your word for it but it must be hard to portray the bleakness when every scene is bleak 😃 I tune in every now and again and literally it's all agitation, angst and agro
Old 01-27-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

As Tink said, it hits home far too much that it made me uncomfortable (it was like seeing myself on screen). I was also drinking at the time, and it actually made me feel ashamed of myself, I could not deny that what I was seeing was so true to my own behaviour.
As we know, alcoholism isn’t just the preserve of park-bench drunks but mums, dads, brothers, sisters, lawyers, doctors, store workers, the young, the old, the middle-aged etc. Put it this way - whatever its faults, it really holds up a mirror to people like me and almost forces the viewer to confront their own issues. I’m glad it’s being done at this time.
I understand what you are saying. The NYE stuff was handled well and they actually seemed to be approaching it like they have knowledge and experience on the subject. Unfortunately (in my own opinion) everyone outside of Linda herself is being handled in standard Eastenders manner. I cannot stand that eyes half open stare Danny Dyer does (which he seems to do every time I see it at Christmas, not just for this storyline) and clutching his dodgy heart. I guess my hatred for the characters and show is clouding my ability to see anything good in the story other than Linda's half decent portrayal haha. I'm sure MANY people will see themselves in her behaviour (I did) and hopefully that encourages those who feel alone to approach their problem and ask for help, although I don't think the show (as it was before I left) made it seem like a good idea to confront the problem. Hopefully since I've been away, they are progressing and not just having her constantly walking around drunk while Mick exhales heavily and stares, but knowing Eastenders, they probably haven't.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't watch EastEnders often but I'm aware of the storyline. Hope it raises awareness about alcoholism.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

As Tink said, it hits home far too much that it made me uncomfortable (it was like seeing myself on screen). I was also drinking at the time, and it actually made me feel ashamed of myself, I could not deny that what I was seeing was so true to my own behaviour.
As we know, alcoholism isn’t just the preserve of park-bench drunks but mums, dads, brothers, sisters, lawyers, doctors, store workers, the young, the old, the middle-aged etc. Put it this way - whatever its faults, it really holds up a mirror to people like me and almost forces the viewer to confront their own issues. I’m glad it’s being done at this time.
I understand what you are saying. The NYE stuff was handled well and they actually seemed to be approaching it like they have knowledge and experience on the subject. Unfortunately (in my own opinion) everyone outside of Linda herself is being handled in standard Eastenders manner. I cannot stand that eyes half open stare Danny Dyer does (which he seems to do every time I see it at Christmas, not just for this storyline) and clutching his dodgy heart. I guess my hatred for the characters and show is clouding my ability to see anything good in the story other than Linda's half decent portrayal haha. I'm sure MANY people will see themselves in her behaviour (I did) and hopefully that encourages those who feel alone to approach their problem and ask for help, although I don't think the show (as it was before I left) made it seem like a good idea to confront the problem. Hopefully since I've been away, they are progressing and not just having her constantly walking around drunk while Mick exhales heavily and stares, but knowing Eastenders, they probably haven't.