Notices

I'm back to day one

Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back to day one

Hi all. I'm back to day one again. I really need the support here. I am really tired.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 1 it is! Keep posting. We will all support you. Don't hesitate to ask for help and advice.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, keep using this place for support- it works!
Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find so much support on this site. Two great threads if you’re starting out are the monthly classes, you can search for January 2020 Class, and also the 24 hour thread. You will find great support systems in both.

What have you tried to get sober in the past?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Delilah, I've tried AA and this forum. My problem is I suffer from anxiety and my life is in bad shape right now. Im trying to not be depressed , but its becoming very difficult.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Give up the fight NWOL. Booze won that fight, it is time to call it a day, surrender and walk away. Just leave it in your past. No need to fight that fight any more. There is peace and quiet and calm down this sober road. The silence is deafening. It is beautiful and amazing.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Support given.

Keep posting and let us know how your doing.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety is a huge trigger for me too. I don't have an anxiety disorder, but I have real-life problems that weigh heavily on me. The anxiety is warranted. However, the drinking just makes it worse after the temporary relief wears off. I'm not sober long and just taking things one day at a time.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is hard to deal with, but, with sobriety, it can be manageable. Keep trying to find a plan that works for you to help you stop drinking and stay sober.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwayofliving View Post
Thanks everyone. Delilah, I've tried AA and this forum. My problem is I suffer from anxiety and my life is in bad shape right now. Im trying to not be depressed , but its becoming very difficult.
The two biggest pieces of my recovery have been this forum and working on my mindfulness.

I also deal with anxiety and have found getting outdoors for a walk every day really helpful. I also work hard to remain focused in the present moment. There are some great links on YouTube and also apps to help with mindfulness. Sometimes it’s just taking a moment to breathe. I know I can’t change the past, all I can do is learn from it, so stressing about it does nothing but cause anxiety. Also, I can sometimes spin worrying about the future, and I have started to go back to what can I do right now. What is the I stand positive choice I can make for myself today.

Maybe some of these things will work for you too.

I’m looking forward to seeing you on here!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The good news is you’re here and you’re reaching out. I, too, suffer with anxiety. While I’m not depressed at the moment, I have suffered with severe depression too. I think many of us battle both. We’re all here for you. Please share as much as you’re comfortable.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi well done on day 1, Im only on day 5 but ive had countless day 1's this time im determined. I also suffer from bad anxiety and just diagnosed with bipolar and my life has been a mess lately so know exactly how you feel, im really having to look at my life and make alot of changes, but the support given on here is so good
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think many of us here have felt as you do newwayofliving. I know I have.

I have never had any success with any of the standard regimes designed to have me quit. Outside of detox that is, where I needed medical assistance.

I didn't diss them all, (except the really weird ones ), but cobbled together bits and pieces from them all, until finally I found my own way. And which essentially meant an acceptance that I should never drink again. It would destroy me both mentally and physically. Family and friends too.

Acceptance is not as difficult as you may think. It is incredibly liberating. Life expands rather than contracts.

Coming here has helped me enormously newwayofliving. It keeps me on track because I forget so easily, with a return to drinking inevitable.

There are some really good people here on SR newwayofliving. We know what it is like and empathy comes easy.

Please take advantage of this resource newwayofliving you will not regret it. Tell your story, and share your struggle. People here need you too.

I think your Username says it all.

Bran nue dae. Yes!
Old 01-27-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello newway. I'm so glad you posted. You're never alone - we all understand what you're going through.

Like you, I was exhausted too. I'd been using alcohol for years to cope with things. I was worn out, trying to keep my head above water. I never realized it was actually making me even more anxious & less able to handle problems. Masking our emotions just prolongs dealing with things. Congratulations on your Day 1. We're with you as you get your life back on track.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thank you all for your support , I think one of my biggest challenges is accepting life the way it is all the time because its not near where I want it to be. I need to get back to gratitude for what I do have and not keep focusing on what I don't.
I also worry a lot about losing my mom, shes turning 84 this year and we dont have a good relationship. Sometimes I feel like Im just surviving to get through this life, and have given up on a lot on ever having the kind of life life I want. The alcohol made me temporarily not care. I have to learn to accept things the way they are.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Why not join the January sobriety class that posts here in the Newcomers Section?

You can get a lot of daily support there.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by newwayofliving View Post
Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Why not join the January sobriety class that posts here in the Newcomers Section?

You can get a lot of daily support there.
zebra makes a great suggestion:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-3-a-5.html

post every day. Pot multiple times a day. Post before you drink again.

Its something you can do right now that shouldn't be any extra anxiety.

D
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Support given