Notices

Pain in joins (hands & feet)

Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain in joins (hands & feet)

Hello all,

I am a 52yo male and I have been abusing alcohol for a decade.

After having lost weight in 2010 down to 153lbs , my consumption started to increase progressively. I got a new but stressful job in 2013 and noticed that my left hand felt stiff. I remember that because I started to go to the gym and tried some exercises focused to improve my hand. So I thought.

It didn't change a thing, and by then my consumption was a regular 1 bottle 750ml of wine per week (or 1.18L of 8.5% beer). Of course in vacations or around Christmas time, it could be 2-3 times that.

In 2015, I was feeling guilty and changed my nutrition with a lot of plant based food to better cope with that. But I was still drinking the same pace.

I started to have pain to the elbows (they were like burning). In 2016 following an episode of stress (mother was dead), I had a crisis, it was less bearable and went to a clinic. I had a battery of tests, including a MRI and a check for MS, nothing was found but something minor in the spine. I must say that often, I can't even write my signature. When I can, barely a line.

Two years ago, I got promoted again (I am a VP in a large company) and the stress went up again, as my consumption. It is about 2-4 bottles a week. It is high but not super high. I am sure that many are grinning here ("only that?") . Aside from the pain and the weight back, I support alcohol well, nothing like black-outs. Oddly, the pain is my elbows stopped and it became only in hands & feet.

December it was another barrier at 5-6 bottles a week. I had some pain at the liver. I decided to take a cold turkey January, but not necessary to fully stop after. After 3-4 days, the liver pain went away. 23 days alcohol free is something that I have seen in almost 10 years.

My doctor doesn't think that the pain in my joins is related to my alcohol consumption. She gave me lyrica but I tried with and without, no difference.

I read about myopathy and I asked myself if the long term abuse of alcohol and subproducts didn't eat my most vulnerable muscles.

Unfortunately after 23 days, I don't see any decrease in the level of pain. Most of the references I saw was about gout or pseudo-gout. Btw, uric acid was normal in my blood tests.

Did anybody ever hear about situation like mine that this kind of constant pain in joins just went away after having stopped drinking regularly?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Id get tested for Lupus and Lyme disease as well.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a lot of joint and nerve pain but mine has been all my life.

There a clear link between alcohol and arthritis and gout. It might be 23 days is too soon to see change yet?

D
Old 01-23-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have peripheral neuropathy in my right hand from 12 years of heavy drinking. Alcohol is a potent neurotoxin and it can damage pretty much your entire nervous system.

It doesn't bother me all of the time, when I feel it is when I'm working a lot since my right hand is my mouse hand and I'm a software engineer. My hand will just go all tingly and then numb and I'll have to stop for several minutes.

Not sure if it will ever go away, I guess we'll see. Best thing is just to stop putting the poison in our bodies, right?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The alcohol messes everything up and renders us an inflamed mess. Inflammation can come and go for months after getting sober. Check with your doc before doing anything radical, but consider going raw vegan for as long as you can stand it. Only uncooked vegetables, fruit and nuts. As much green leafy veg as you can eat. No juicing. And only water, tea or coffee to drink. That would at least clear up any dietary questions. I have done it for the last 3 weeks and the results have been spectacular. Joint pain and inflammation gone completely. Hang in there Blake.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I twisted my right knee last July just from an awkward step on lumpy pavement and despite a bit of physical therapy in the fall, the recovery plateaued at an uncomfortable level with little improvement through the end of the year. I was starting to think I was just going to have to live with it, it wasn't severe enough to consider anything drastic like surgery. I started Dry and Pot-Free January on 2 Jan 2020 and noticed on about Day 14 or so that the pain has pretty much disappeared, even when sitting for extended periods of time. The comments about a correlation of alcohol with inflammation and arthritis seem right on to me, an unexpected bonus of sobriety. I could get used to this.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't been drinking in a little over six months and I've “noticed” I have a **** ton more pain in all my joints. I go to the gym about everyday but it's not a strenuous workout so I don't believe it's that and my diet really hasn't changed except for no beer.
I need to go to the doctor about it but just haven't yet.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just shows ta go ya*, control. (Does anybody say that anymore?) Each of us is different and we can all learn from each other. I'm not a health-care professional and we don't give medical advice here on SR, but I suggest you'd best not delay in getting thee to a doctor's visit. Maybe your symptoms are "nothing", in which case you will have gained peace of mind, or maybe they're a sign of something more serious, in which case the sooner you receive treatment, the better, which will also = ^^^ pom.**

* Translation, "goes to show you."
** Peace of mind.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastInLine View Post
I have peripheral neuropathy in my right hand from 12 years of heavy drinking.

Can you elaborate about how it was diagnosed? Again my doctor doesn't see any link with alcohol.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You were drinking harder than me and it has taken me the better part of 4 years to see major improvements.

At 23 days I was very very weak compared to now. Mentally, I was agoraphobic.
You didn't mention that, but if you are, that went away slowly slowly.

I hurt everywhere, but I took up grappling at age 50. It looked fun.

It was extremely good for dopamine production, but my 50 year old body could not take the constant stress on every soft tissue. I used to gimp around like the tin man.

Bottom line was I seemed prepared to continue to drink myself to death until my mental facilities began to go. Agoraphobia and spatial disorientation. For some reason, that worried me more than my tingly swollen feet.

I was definitely pre diabetic. I believe the grappling helped me to recover sooner and gave me the way forward.

This positive path includes a daily quest for dopamine, endorphins, adrenaline, and natural melatonin production for sleeping.

Physically, I am becoming more like an athlete than a fat, oldish man. I am not as invisible as before.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
You were drinking harder than me and it has taken me the better part of 4 years to see major improvements.

At 23 days I was very very weak compared to now. Mentally, I was agoraphobic.
You didn't mention that, but if you are, that went away slowly slowly.
Two things strike me in your testimony,

You say that I drank harder!? I thought that I was on the light side of alcohol abuse!

Also, I figured 3-6 months to rebuild the damaged tissue whether it is muscles or what is protecting the nerves.... 4 years...!

The good news is that I don't feel going back to home binge drinking. I wouldn't have said this last week-end, but a complete cold turkey January is within reach. I hope that I will find more strenght and keep the focus after.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is a big disappointment that my pains are not fading, to the contrary.

It seems to be related to stress. The more stressed I get, worse they are.

Maybe the doc was right and there is no direct link. Accordingly I started again to take my remaining pills of prescribed pregabalin a week ago. It improves the sleep, but I feel like cr*p when I wake up and for a few hours.

If there is a link with alcohol, I now think that it is indirect. Like marijuana, alcohol can calm down for a time. When the effect has passed, the pains come back with a vengeance. Possibly I was wrong and there is no causal effect with my alcohol intake and the increased level of pains that come after.

But hell no, I am not going back to that excessive level of consumption.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think alcohol is linked to every health concern we have try not to dismiss it.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Blake,

speaking about my experience with joint pain i have been tested for arthritis and lyme disease both negative. My opinion is it is all alcohol related as joint pain has improved in just 8 days sober.

also having head scan due to numbness in arm and fingers tingling in hands and feet although tingling has gone now since stopping drinking.

also had chest and stomach pains which with anxiety at record levels when drinking i was imagining heart failure at any moment or stomach cancer what a way to live, both pains funny enough also vanished.

I am blaming the lot of my health issues on the drink and this time a proper health scare is maybe what i needed to stop.

I hope you find out what is causing your pains keep going to you doctor as that is the only way.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had really bad joint pain, especially hands, and it didn't particularly improve when I stopped drinking. It improved when I stopped laptop work and gets worse when I do my pizza dough making job. I think it's my age! I avoid inflammatory foods like citrus and pork that helps a lot.