My mom and her drink

Old 01-23-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mom and her drink

I've come a long way since I posted about my mom situation. We have terminated her employment with our company so was very difficult to do, but had to be done. She has gone into morning drinking and drunk by noon most days. Then in bed no later than 2pm. I have approached her several times in a loving and concerned way. So she is not going to admit it is a problem and she is not going to change her ways. With that said, I'm paying out of my pocket nearly $400 per month for her health care plan. So by me paying that she has more beer money. I would hate to stop paying it, but I'm tired of this and I could use that money for my own retirement account. That way it would be even more difficult for her to have beer money. Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you think it would get paid if you didn't pay it?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, that. ^^^

It’s a tough call, because it shouldn’t be on you to pay her premiums, but on the other hand, if she’s progressed to that point she’s going to start have health problems and there’s a good chance she’d just let the insurance lapse and then have huge medical bills and you’d be stuck with that mess to deal with.

One thought...she’s lost her job, which means she could go on her state’s healthcare exchange and reapply for insurance based on reduced income. That may help get the premiums down quite a bit, depending on where she lives.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Do you think it would get paid if you didn't pay it?
It would be her choice to pay for health care or pay for beer. I think she would choose beer.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Joy...good for you! I remember how hard this has been for you.

Maybe instead of going cold turkey you could say that you are on a two year plan. Year one you pay half, year two she is on her own. Somewhat of a compromise??

Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Joy...good for you! I remember how hard this has been for you.

Maybe instead of going cold turkey you could say that you are on a two year plan. Year one you pay half, year two she is on her own. Somewhat of a compromise??

Just a thought.
Love this approach.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Joy, do you reside in the US? As someone who’s faced many tough medical challenges, Medicaid helped me a great deal when I hit rock bottom (I’m not an addict, just needed a lot of surgeries). It’s free and honestly is surprisingly good (probably depending on the state). If it were me, I’d 100% stop paying her premiums... save that $400 and tell her that she can access medicaid insurance. Unless there’s financial or other reasons she can’t. Wish you the best