Notices

Drinking dream again

Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dream again

Im in a bar again. In the dream. Both dreams I was having trouble getting served. The most recent one I couldn't figure out which beer to order. Then I couldn't get a bartender to help me. I notice lately I pause in the to grocery store to look at the beer in the cold case. The other day I found myself dumbstruck on a street corner analyzing a poster and trying to figure out why they didn't notice the beer in the pint glasses was flat. I also find myself questioning if my problem was serious enough to warrant all this sober attention. I do know that I am grateful in this moment not to be drunk.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have drinking dreams at some point Press.

I chose not to put much meaning to them. I have a lot of drinking memories my subconscious can play with.

If you have doubts when you're awake, re read some of your old threads from the drop down menu under your name.

As long as you're committed to recovery and not drinking when you're awake - you're doing all anyone can ask of you

D
Old 01-20-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams happen: don’t worry about them they’re just dreams. People with decades of sobriety may still get them.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Ugh I hate the drinking dreams. They are so terrifying, and somehow when I wake up they still seem real but when I think about them I more I just say that’s not me!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got a few in the last couple of months- they can be unnerving for sure but at least you have that relief when you wake and realize it was only a dream!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Im in a bar again. In the dream. Both dreams I was having trouble getting served. The most recent one I couldn't figure out which beer to order. Then I couldn't get a bartender to help me. I notice lately I pause in the to grocery store to look at the beer in the cold case. The other day I found myself dumbstruck on a street corner analyzing a poster and trying to figure out why they didn't notice the beer in the pint glasses was flat. I also find myself questioning if my problem was serious enough to warrant all this sober attention. I do know that I am grateful in this moment not to be drunk.

The bolded part is what ALWAYS gets me in trouble.
"It will be different this time" "I will only drink on weekends"
The underline part is all you need to focus on.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

35 days in. I am getting drinking dreams every night. Every one of them I am somewhere about to drink and talking myself out of sobriety. The weird part is I have never drank an actual drink in my dreams. I have no AV in real life but he really comes awake during my dreams. But that’s just what they are. Dreams. I wake up and realize that it wasn’t real and I go about my sober day.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

" I do know that I am grateful in this moment not to be drunk."

Amen.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think most of us have drinking dreams at some point Press.

I chose not to put much meaning to them. I have a lot of drinking memories my subconscious can play with.

If you have doubts when you're awake, re read some of your old threads from the drop down menu under your name.

As long as you're committed to recovery and not drinking when you're awake - you're doing all anyone can ask of you

D
So true. It's all right there in my posts. So grateful to be sober tonight.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post

The bolded part is what ALWAYS gets me in trouble.
"It will be different this time" "I will only drink on weekends"
The underline part is all you need to focus on.
I forgot I wrote the questioning part. I debated keeping it just in my head. Glad I didn't. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
35 days in. I am getting drinking dreams every night. Every one of them I am somewhere about to drink and talking myself out of sobriety. The weird part is I have never drank an actual drink in my dreams. I have no AV in real life but he really comes awake during my dreams. But that’s just what they are. Dreams. I wake up and realize that it wasn’t real and I go about my sober day.
Hey. Congrats on the 35...36 days. That's alot of little pieces of work adding up. Or big pieces.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you got through it Press

D
Old 01-22-2020, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
G-Woman

During the first few months I was having lots of drinking dreams. They tapered off, and last night I had the first drinking dream in a long time. There's always such relief when I wake up and realize that it never happened, and that I'm still rock solid in my commitment to sobriety.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had another drinking dream last night. Two in three nights. Don't remember ever having this type of dream before. This time was working with some business buddies and we had a cooler of beer.

- "relief when I wake up" Exactly.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had one last night. Dreamed that my wife and I went on vacation and bought enough booze to kill a rhino. Also in the same dream I had a weed guy meet me at the liquor store. It was weird but didn't really affect me when I woke up. In the dream I never made it out of the store before waking.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to have drinking dreams all of the time, back when I still slept and could remember dreams after waking. The last couple of years, before I quit, I don't recall any dreams at all, I think because I was never actually that deeply asleep.

Anyway, I used to have those all of the time. They'd mostly consist of getting together with friends and family and worrying about how we could possibly get enough to drink, like how many cases of beer have we got and how much is everyone drinking and who's going for more and when. I remember a couple where I was driving around and all the liquor stores were closed and we were out of beer. It was like a nightmare.

So I keep wondering when I'm going to start having those since I quit drinking. But so far, I haven't had any.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream last night. Dreamt I had 2 pints. I woke up and was relieved that it hadn't happened after more than 2 years sober.