Notices

Precaution - quitting before - Hit 60 days or 2 months today.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Precaution - quitting before - Hit 60 days or 2 months today.

I wasn't forced to quit or anything like that unless you bring in predictive math which says I was forced to. Saying at some point it would get me or drinking would finally catch up to me. I felt like I could of gone on another year or two if not longer just fine.

My dad wanted me to take a year or two off of drinking as he thought I drank a bit too much or slightly too much at times (6 pack if not up to a 12 pack at times and hard liquor at other times). I've also talked to other people and/or seen stories if not documentaries around drinking and such. Many people have told me to just quit drinking after telling me their story and that they had to quit drinking after it took over their life. It's not worth it in the long run even if you don't have problems now is what I figure myself. It may not be now or the problems that is, but eventually it will get you if you aren't careful or the problems will get you eventually is what that meant to me from other people telling me their stories alone. Which means that the drinking might get me eventually or will get me eventually. Basically after they quit they just stopped recommending alcohol to anyone. Many are even completely against it and I decided to listen to those ones.

I entered my 30s roughly a year ago and I'm about to be 31. Wide open road and/or etc still like my 20s were when it came to drinking. What could ever go wrong?! I feel like this at times when it comes to drinking. I feel it's mostly reality, but I also do feel there are some signs if not warning signs / red flags that tell me to stop now because 5-10-15 years down the road it will get me somewhere.

Imagine - wide open road

I think though eventually it will turn to this.

Imagine - stuck vehicle between two buildings.

I think eventually I'll get stuck and I say I can drink for one more day. It's fine I'm just stuck between two buildings (whatever that equates to in the realm of drinking). My wheels are just turning because I'm stuck for now I'll be fine (making up some type of excuse basically). I'm taking the word of advice on this one from others that went down the wrong path from drinking that I've talked to personally. It's not worth it to even drink while thinks are going great if not incredible. Not saying my life is great or incredible, but hitting a peak like that even could screw me at some point.

I've quit permanently since I'm worried about losing my mental speed and I don't want problems somewhere down the road. I may have gotten a bit lucky since others failed before me and warned me I could end up the same way. Maybe they would of to if they had someone else warned them not to drink at all even while things were great or incredible even. Again not saying my life is great or incredible, but I feel a time in my life like that could snag me really well or really hard then drag me down.

Hit 60 days tonight then roll over into my 60th day. I quit at night the day before when I finally quit.

I feel this works the best for me alone personally. I think it would get me eventually.

1 Peter 5:8 8Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Forgot I'm not at 25 posts to be able to post links to images.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Probably a lot of the people in the world , if they could do it over again would choose to quit earlier than they finally did if given the choice. Beware of the thoughts that you could have kept drinking for a while. I did that countless times. The "right time" kept getting pushed farther and farther back and many, many years and many, many failed attempts later I found this place called SR. One day at a time I have been clean for the longest period in my life. Please don't put it off. Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 01-14-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Probably a lot of the people in the world , if they could do it over again would choose to quit earlier than they finally did if given the choice. Beware of the thoughts that you could have kept drinking for a while. I did that countless times. The "right time" kept getting pushed farther and farther back and many, many years and many, many failed attempts later I found this place called SR. One day at a time I have been clean for the longest period in my life. Please don't put it off. Best wishes for you on your journey!
Exactly what I had to do was break through that thought (things are fine now especially for the most part). I quit the hard liquor a few months back. I was trying to lower my intake and such due to what my dad said as well as what others had said to me about just quitting now before anything happens. You don't need major problems to quit drinking like they had (didn't tell me everything). You should just quit drinking now. It doesn't do anything for you in the long run.

What does it do for you in the long run even?

empty calories for the most part or just is empty calories
ruining the body, mind, and/or spirit in the long run is what I figure

What's the end or what do you accomplish at that point?

It didn't ruin my life completely, but I do have some regrets. I should of stayed a runner and such myself and worked out more. I did put on some weight during the years of my drinking and did have some other problems. 22/23 to 30 roughly or my years of drinking for the most part. I don't want it in the long run and it's just time to quit.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No one knows they will be an alcoholic. You may not be one, although 6 to 12 beers (if this is in one night,) raises my eyebrow... high. That's definitely a red flag. Think about it. Why would anyone want to drink 12 beers, unless they were a bit off or just weird?

When I was 31, I was well aware of my drinking problem, but I thought I could just quit, and I rejected the notion that I might be an alcoholic. I never bothered trying to quit, even though my drinking progressed. 20 years later when I tried to quit, and realized I couldn't, was when I knew I was an alcoholic.

Drinking is your decision. It's not my business to discourage people I don't know from drinking, but it's also not my business to encourage anyone to drink. Not anyone! To me the whole thing is playing with fire, and it's hard to predict when someone will get burned. It's a hard fire to put out. Sometimes very hard.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In a nut shell Alcohol is an addictive drug period. No matter how much or less you drink it. If you drink it often it will keep you addicted if that makes sense
Old 01-15-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
No one knows they will be an alcoholic. You may not be one, although 6 to 12 beers (if this is in one night,) raises my eyebrow... high. That's definitely a red flag. Think about it. Why would anyone want to drink 12 beers, unless they were a bit off or just weird?

When I was 31, I was well aware of my drinking problem, but I thought I could just quit, and I rejected the notion that I might be an alcoholic. I never bothered trying to quit, even though my drinking progressed. 20 years later when I tried to quit, and realized I couldn't, was when I knew I was an alcoholic.

Drinking is your decision. It's not my business to discourage people I don't know from drinking, but it's also not my business to encourage anyone to drink. Not anyone! To me the whole thing is playing with fire, and it's hard to predict when someone will get burned. It's a hard fire to put out. Sometimes very hard.
6-12 beers alone is definitely kind of high to me personally as well in one night. Anything over 2 beers (max) in one day is risk for concern from what I've learned in the past myself and/or have been taught myself as well. That depends though from what I understand.

This is what I'm worried about myself (bolded area). I don't want to get trapped in myself. It's also gambling that it will either A happen or B won't happen with maybe C somewhere in the middle is what I figure myself.

Your last part to as well. People told me I shouldn't drink even if I don't have problems yet. I should just quit and not drink anymore. I figured they are right about that. I don't mind that myself when people say that. Figure they mean well and it seemed to destroy their lives at least somewhat. Never knew if that was true though to as well since some were people that didn't drink alcohol at all really (special occasions and/or holidays 1-2x a year at most and nothing else) or just didn't drink at all.

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
In a nut shell Alcohol is an addictive drug period. No matter how much or less you drink it. If you drink it often it will keep you addicted if that makes sense
It's psychologically addictive from what I understand, but it appears it might be both sides here that it is physically addictive as well. I don't know myself and I know it's addictive in some form or manner at least. Just not sure how it is addictive since people seem to conflict on this.

It's not addictive to me or wasn't for the most part. Maybe addictive through boredom if not looking for something to make me happy for a while due to maybe boredom or to add extra happiness while doing something, but I think that was the alcohol starting to reel me in at times. That's what I figured at times myself.

I also have an addictive personality to as well myself when it comes to certain things. Gambling is a big one for me personally. I love the way video slots move and such myself that I had to play free video game slots for hours on end at one point to get it out of my system.

Best to just quit I figure myself.