Notices

I'm ready but I'm also very weak

Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm ready but I'm also very weak

Hello, I've been drinking very heavily most nights for around 3 years. I want to make tomorrow day one. Im ready but not really got a plan as such, just need to put a stop to this.

I'm stuck in a loop, not a good one and I'm low on self esteem. Not that I'm gonna do something bad, just very low

I'm reaching out for support
Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on wanting to quit and considering making tomorrow your Day 1. Who says you don't have a plan???!!! You just described the beginning of every single person's plan who has ever successfully stopped drinking. Be careful with detox symptoms - they range from no symptoms at all to life-threatening and everywhere in between. Do you have any support for the next several days? Touching base with a doc would be best but make some contact with the health care profession in some way. Keep posting on this thread Alcoman447 and let us know how it is going.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I completely agree that you should consult a doctor. Also posting here asking for help is the beginning of a plan. Have you looked for any meetings near you (meetings of any kind will be helpful). Do you have any books on the subject? If not you can download the AA 12 Step Guide for free. It is a combination of all 3 AA books.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, the moderators on this site are awesome, and they have posted and reposted several times a very helpful link on what a "plan" is , what recovery plans look like, and how to think about all of that as you make your own plan to stop and to stay stopped. Today the only plan you need to worry about though is a plan for Day 1. Write down an agenda for the day and stick to it. Just getting through one day at a time is all you can do.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it, take care and keep reading this forum. It’s very encouraging.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have hit the nail on the head. By ourselves- we feel weak- but with the strength of others- we heal. SR is great for that. I also see my GP for physical monitoring and my depression, a psychologist to deal with all the other crap in my head (sobriety is one things- life's problems on getting sober is a different matter for me and needs separate attention) and meetings. Daily support, for me, is the key.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard- remember this can be the last time you have to go through this!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats you have already started your plan! When I quit 27 days ago, I had no plan except knowing I needed to stop. The first 3-4 days can be rough physically but I promise you it goes away. Drink water, try and eat and rest as much as possible. After that it’s a mental game. Stay busy. Try and connect with other people that are going through what you are.

This site is fantastic and is the only support group I do. A lot of people here also do in person meetings. Finding what works for you is the key. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alcoman447 View Post
In regards to low self esteem, I don't know why you or I or anyone else has this. But can tell in all honesty, one of the first positive experiences in sobriety for me was a sudden burst of self esteem that marked the beginning of the often described pink cloud. The burst was so intense that I questioned if it wasn't some fake manic experience, and I don't know if that burst was high self esteem or just that I was feeling so damn good about myself. Maybe they're the same thing.

Yeah, initially getting sober is going to take some work. How much varies from one to the next, but don't let low self esteem hold you back. Most of us here came to sobriety carrying tons of the stuff.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome alcoman
SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too.

I thought I was weak too - but when I took alcohol out of the equation for good, I was surprised at how strong and capable I really was.

I think you'll find the same.

Here's the plan link Surrendered mentioned
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here’s a quick plan to get you started.

1. See a Dr. for medical assistance with detox so that it goes safely.
2. Go to an AA meeting and just listen. (If you want to go for it, introduce yourself to the group as a newcomer and let them welcome you).
3. Log onto this website everyday.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, alcoman. Reading and posting here every day helped me find the courage to change my life. I never felt alone after joining SR, and that meant everything. You can do this.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First things first, you have to detox safely. With your level of consumption, you should see a doctor. Withdrawal symptoms are hard to predict, but can cause death in their most severe form.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Alcoman447 View Post
Hello, I've been drinking very heavily most nights for around 3 years. I want to make tomorrow day one. Im ready but not really got a plan as such, just need to put a stop to this.

I'm stuck in a loop, not a good one and I'm low on self esteem. Not that I'm gonna do something bad, just very low

Good place to have your first day.

We all struggle. There's no reason, and no benefit, in going through this alone.

Besides, chasing self-esteem is vastly overrated. It eludes us in the same way as happiness or love and takes hold of us long before we recognize that it's already moved in.

Time to relax and slow down your life.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

How did you go alcoman?

D