My Partner is Dying from Liver Failure

Old 01-12-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Partner is Dying from Liver Failure

I've never posted on this forum because I always thought there would be hope for my alcoholic partner. He was diagnosed with end stage liver failure over a year ago and was given one to two years left. Despite almost dying two times in the last six years he continued to drink and hide how much he was drinking. Over the course of our 17 year relationship nothing stuck for him. He tried going to treatment. He tried going to AA. He struggles with anxiety and a skin condition which he uses alcohol to cope.

Over the last year I saw an intelligent man with a good heart, a good friend who loves me and I him despite the addiction, lose his independence, the ability to go back to work and his body get so weak he fell and broke ribs, he lost all his muscle mass in his arms and legs. Just before Christmas he self admitted himself to hospital because of fluid buildup and had it drained. When he came back home he has not been able to recover and was even more weak. He was able to be home for Christmas and New Years bedridden for the most part. Barely eating and so weak to function at home.

Last week 911 had to be called because he was intoxicated and we could not lift him. He was a fall risk. He had to be lifted out of the house in a stretcher and admitted to hospital. This will be the last time he will be home. He is in hospital now and we are waiting for him to be transferred to a hospice. He still knows who I am but his body is starting to shut down and he has only been given a couple of days.

I am numb and feel like I have been grieving for over a year when he lost his full independence. He is only 41 years old. Nobody including the alcoholic should have to go through this.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, neutronstar. I cannot imagine the grief you must be feeling. I agree that no one should have to go through this, both the alcoholics themselves and the people who love them. It’s a terribly sad disease (or however you wish to look at it - I know opinions differ) and your story really drives this home. I am grateful that you have shared something so personal with us - I hope that this forum can be a source of comfort and support to you in addition to family, friends, meetings (Al Anon or grief support groups?) and professional support. Thinking of you and your partner.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for what you are going through. It always amazes me how people can be at deaths door and it still isn’t enough to change. I’m not just talking about addiction, I’m also taking about people with heart attack’s or strokes and not quitting their bad habits. I see a lady who has had lung cancer and had half her lung removed a few years ago. She is still smoking and has no desire to quit. It is so hard to understand that near death experiences are still not enough to make better life choices and I think it is so hard for loved ones to see this and know that they have no control over their loved ones behavior.
And you are right, end stage liver disease gets pretty ugly and no one should have to endure that. It is so sad to see anyone die but even more so when they are so young and could have still had their whole life ahead of them. As hard as this is for you I hope you do understand that there is nothing you could’ve done differently to have a different outcome even though I know that doesn’t necessarily make it easier to deal with . I wish you lots of strength during this difficult time.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Neutronstar, this is indeed an awful disease. Its made harder because we can't do anything to fix it. Grief can be exhausting and it sounds like you have already been doing a lot of that already. Stick around here - it helps.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello NeutronStar.
This is really sad and prayers for your partner. I can only reiterate whats been said. It is an awful disease mercyless and soul destroying.
As I hope you know none of it is your fault, we cant cure an alcoholic. I hope you find the strength and courage to get over this and live a happy new life. I assume you are roughly your partners age so you got a lot of living to do.
Peace ✌️
Take care

Last edited by theVman31; 01-12-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: cant
Old 01-12-2020, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending you love and thinking of you and your loved one (((())))
Stay strong and look after yourself, NeurtonStar. XXX
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are an angel on Earth.

Bless you for looking after your man till now and God give you strength for what is to come.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

neutron...….I know, first hand, how hard it is to lose a loved one...no matter what the situation.
My heart is going out to you....
I am glad that you could come and share this with us.....
Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry sweetheart.

This is heartbreaking for both of you .

You because you couldnt save him & he because he couldnt save himself.

Dont blame yourself in any way because as an alcoholic myself, i couldnt save me until i decided to.

I dont know why some of us make it and some dont. Im pretty sure you would have been doing a lot of grieving in your relationship as he was slowly killing himself. It must have been so hard on you .

Try to keep the happy memories of him that you have as the person he was before this disease took him over.

You cpuldnt have done any more than you did.

Sending you so much love xxxxx
Old 01-13-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m so deeply sorry.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. There are specific forums for extreme care taking and anticipatory loss. PM me if you'd like them.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. I hate addiction.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here Neutronstar, but I'm glad you posted - this is a place of great understanding and support.

D
Old 01-13-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Neutronstar,

I’m so very sorry to hear this. Alcoholism is a terrible, terrible affliction. Prayers and hugs to you both.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am very sorry for your loss. It’s a terrible affliction.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
I'm so sorry. There are specific forums for extreme care taking and anticipatory loss. PM me if you'd like them.
Velma - Thank you for your reply. I don't have enough posts to PM you but if you see this would appreciate any info you could send me.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is so touching to hear the love you feel for your partner come through in such a harrowing situation. You describe what must be our worst nightmare, for many here on this forum. You show such strength in the face of tragedy.
Blessings to you and hope you will both eventually find peace.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the words. It is helping to know there are others that have gone through this and all we can do as friends and family is not blame ourselves.

He has been moved into hospice now for a more compassionate environment. He is still holding on. The reason why I held on was underneath everything he is a caring soul. If the roles were reversed I know he would have been there for me. Still so tough to see him this way. Each day he is less and less aware, less strong. A mix of wanting him to no longer suffer but taking comfort that he is still holding on that I can see him another day.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Blessings and support!

[QUOTE=neutronstar;7357445]I've never posted on this forum because I always thought there would be hope for my alcoholic partner.
my heart goes out to you...I can empathize from personal experience of tragic loss because of alcoholism. Remember always that it is worth loving to also support those you love even through incredibly tough times. That is Your integrity. Your strength shines through! And people will keep reminding you that it's not your fault...hear them! If you want to reach out, feel free to pm me.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sending you peace and understanding at this time. You sound like a very caring and loving spouse, bless you for your commitment to your husband. Your story is a reminder of the harsh reality of alcoholism. I am truly sorry. This terrible disease hits close to home for me. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story with us.

Take comfort in the fact that your husband is in wonderful hands with Hospice. He is pain free now and being cared for with respect and dignity. I am very familiar with Hospices practice and procedures. You made the best choice for him and his care ♥️

Keep reaching out for support, you are not alone (((hugs)))