Notices

I drank

Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank

I got to day 16 and drank yesterday. I saw a bottel of vodka on sell and decided to buy it. The amount I drank was equal to a half pint. I didn't get drunk but i did drink. I had about 3 drinks or so. I bought a liter and still have a ton left. I keep feeling is I toss it its wasting my money. I shouldve never bought it. Also Im torn about if I should reset my calendar. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-11-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You didn't drink for 16 days, that's really good toni. It sounds like you just need to tweak either your plan or maybe your mindset to make not drinking permanent. Either way if you analyse what your thought processes were in the run up to buying the stuff you can think of a way of not falling into the same trap next time. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Toni

My advice is to dump the vodka. Think about the money you spent as an investment in your sobriety.

SR is always here for you to use - why not use us the next time you get a craving to buy a bottle?

as for the date thing, I know what I'd do.

What reasons would you have for not resetting your date Toni?

D
Old 01-11-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I deliberately drank, I would start again at day one. Being honest with oneself is crucial to success.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn’t even get as far as you. I drank again tonight, after twelve or thirteen days. I plan to start afresh tomorrow. Back to day one. But that doesn’t take away from your sober time, or mine. It counts. We just have to commit that much more, and have a better plan for when life challenges us. In my case, I was driving by the grocery store, and I turned the wheel, parked, and went in fully intending to buy my alcohol. A lot of events led up to that decision, and I will go over them and try to have better tools to avert my selfish desires in the future. Good luck to you.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Dump the vodka. Like Dee says, consider it an investment in your sobriety. Why would you not reset the date?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Toni and foggyriver I really can't emphasise enough that we're here to help.

I know it sometimes feels like the hardest thing to do to ignore that craving and ask for help to stay sober, but it absolutely can be done

Use us

D
Old 01-11-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd reset and start afresh with greater resolve as others have said.

Come here, as Dee says.

It really does help and I'm only 27 days sober.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee and I'd dump it out. It is one of the best investments you will ever make.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Echo what a few have said about using this site and the people here as tools. I really do consider this site the #1 tool I have to stay sober. Everyone here has the same goal. Even if it’s just reading the posts, it will help you.

If you decide to get more involved in posting, be vulnerable. I’ve shared things with this site that no one else knows and it’s a huge weight off my shoulders. Just my two cents coming from a 20 year drinker that ended with a detox in the ER.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank, Toni, but I am glad to see you back.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You learned something, Toni (& Foggy) - now you'll be even more determined to stay on your journey to sobriety. You can definitely do this. There's nothing in it for us - it never takes us where we think it will.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It fascinates me how us alcoholics can’t bear to throw away the booze if we’ve already bought it. The oh what a waste thought.

My last years of drinking ended with me having seizures and nearly dying. When I came home from the hospital after 4 days, I knew the game was up, yet there were a few cans of beer in the fridge. I remember vividly thinking that since I bought them I may as well drink them and start tomorrow. In what world is that sane? Thankfully I poured them away.

we wouldn’t think twice about throwing away milk if it had gone off. We don’t think - oh since I’ve bought it then I must drink this sour milk even though it will make me ill

Old 01-11-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dump that stuff Toni. You'll just drink it if you don't. What is another day of your life worth???

The counting thing is all about definitions. If you had 500 days sober, then drank for 300, then another 10 sober, then drank for 400, then stopped last night, how do you tell your story accurately other than to say that today is your Day 1? I guess you could say this is Day 500-300+10-400+1, but that equation would be several pages long for many of us. It absolutely doesn't mean that those sober days weren't vitally important to your life and longevity, but it really doesn't help us at all to stay away from booze. Forever and ever and ever.

You both are awesome for coming back here right away and being honest about what happened. That takes chutzpah.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Agree with all those who advise to dump the remaining vodka and think of it as an investment in a better future for yourself and those you love ❤️

I also would hold onto alcohol because it felt like a waste of money to dump it down the drain, but eventually I would have a bad day, bad thought, pain in my rear...whatever excuse the AV threw at me, and would end up drinking and regretting it.

Don’t put a price on your future.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am glad you came back to us. You are already doing this by coming here and being honest.

I don't see pouring it down the drain as a waste, you are letting go of what no longer is serving you. It is actually killing you.

Try to understand why you are still "holding on" and what you can do differently.

The day that I said "Enough is ENOUGH," I was set free.

I wish the very same for you.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How is it going today, toni? Thinking of you.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I reset after drinking NYE, Toni. I have joined the January 2020 thread. It is really nice with a lovely bunch of SR folk. I hope I will see you there.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I reset each time I relapsed. And after I got involved in AA, I got a new white chip as well to mark that occasion. Honesty with oneself and those there to help you is paramount.