Notices

Staying Sober Plan - what's yours?

Old 01-09-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying Sober Plan - what's yours?

Assuming you have made it through the first few weeks, how do you plan to stay sober or, for those who have been sober a while, how have you maintained your sobriety?

I think keeping busy is the key. So I am planning to do the following:

- Practice a martial art, as I've always wanted to do so but have never had the money or diligence due to drink. See the martial arts thread if you have any ideas or suggestions (link in my signature).

- Learn a foreign language. Another thing I have always wanted to do.

I have also considered learning to play a musical instrument, re-writing my CV and going for better jobs and/or a promotion, get a cinema ticket, joining a debating society.

What's worked for you?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best plans are not only about things to do, but ways to keep us sober.
We need to engage with the nuts and bolts of living sober.

I needed daily support. I needed to rat myself out if I craved or wanted to drink.

I needed to think about likely scenarios
- when I wanted to drink, and the rationalisations I used
- peer pressure.
-bad feelings.
-bad days.
-the negative power of eff it

everyone has their own trigger points, slippery slopes, call them what you will.

I think everyone should think about those, and workshop strategies about getting through those trigger points without drinking.

this is a good link
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 01-09-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

working on balance and on letting go
Old 01-09-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the best plans are not only about things to do, but ways to keep us sober.
We need to engage with the nuts and bolts of living sober.

I needed daily support. I needed to rat myself out if I craved or wanted to drink.

I needed to think about likely scenarios
- when I wanted to drink, and the rationalisations I used
- peer pressure.
-bad feelings.
-bad days.
-the negative power of eff it

everyone has their own trigger points, slippery slopes, call them what you will.

I think everyone should think about those, and workshop strategies about getting through those trigger points without drinking.

this is a good link
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Aye, a good answer. In the past my mind has certainly looked for excuses to drink, and a little voice will tell me "it's a one off", etc. How does one overcome that other than to acknowledge it as one's alcoholic voice (or Satan tempting us)? Right now I think I won't be tempted, but I know better.

Originally Posted by nez View Post
working on balance
You think I should become a trapeze artist? LOL

and on letting go
I think letting go off anger, resentment and other negative emotions are improtant, if that's what you mean?
Old 01-09-2020, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

I think letting go off anger, resentment and other negative emotions are improtant, if that's what you mean?
The list for me is huge. It includes things like other people's opinions, other people's behavior, outcomes, having to make sense of everything, my perceived job of ruler and master of the universe, etc.etc.etc. So many things, so little time, that is were balance comes into play :~)
Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My advice? Try out all local available recovery meetings, read everything you can to do with recovery, watch recovery movies, spend part of every day on SoberRecovery.

Recovery is your new baseline. For the first few months try to only do other leisure things when you're really sick of it. If you need a break from recovery stuff then you're probably doing enough
Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me the best plan was to avoid social situations where alcohol was being consumed as the primary activity.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lots of reading, here at SR and elsewhere. Plus, using a cognitive-behavioral cost-benefit approach. Plus, tracking the calories and money I'm saving.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

IMO it ALL boils down to acceptance.

Of the driver who cuts you off bc they prob aren't intending to inconvenience YOU.
Of the time of day you usually drink and need to do something else.
Of your financial situation.
Of being hungry and yet having just eaten
Of....being an alcoholic.

Just of life and its many forms, and of the fact you always have a choice in what to do even if not what happens to you.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My plan wasn't actually a plan. What I did however was put all my concentration into being sober, until I no longer had to. Then I started concentrating on being honest with myself. Anything I did to stay sober was given my full attention. It was the most important project of my life. I treated distractions with rudeness and disdain: "Stay out of my way. I'm doing this." Other times, I treated sobriety quietly and sincerely with my full attention. I was having a love affair with sobriety. I didn't care about much else.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Damn,

I wrote the longest reply, only then I read the PDF Dee posted. It's a fantastic summary! Now I'd like to add only a couple of things (lucky you!).

I.) My days are now completely structured, but everything I do is in order to prevent voids. Voids make funny thoughts. Whatever I do in my evenings (working out, cooking, learning Russian, practising the violin, cleaning, reading etc.) I try to do in the most attentive way, "like a Japanese would do" to quote my therapist. Little Japanese ceremonies. Focus on what I'm doing right now at this moment, nothing else. Makes me just happy! :o)

II.) Whenever I'm thinking about drinking, I act instantly. I go for a run or leave the venue. I act physically, I never ever want to be helpless again when I start entertaining booze plans. Works like a charm.

III.) Reasonable goals. I started focussing and I ended up caring: E. g., I visit a cooking course on a weekly basis now (where btw. everybody treats me like an imbecile!), I'm going to start Russian lessons on Skype to visit St. Petersburg this fall. All of a sudden there's so much to look forward to during the week!

Yes, learning a language and a musical instrument is a great idea, Auchie. I'm in my 5th month of sobriety, the progress I have experienced is unbelievable. Still a raw recruit, therefore I'll continue to follow my shrink's advice, focus on myself, visit meetings and improve. That's my plan, it works!

Good luck, Auchie!
Old 01-10-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me once the desision was made to quit the sauce I went into action. Unfortunately I was a total wreck the first week. Needed everything I had just to get thru the withdrawals. Once that settled and my mind was clearing upish . I went into stay sober mode. I did alot of reading. Drinking water. Resting stumbled on this site. From there I just took it one day at a time.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^^^that's great ravel. The only thing I'd challenge you with as you go along is to write in time for the "voids" - but transition to the practice of an empty space being meant for relaxing, or meditation, or something that gives you a break. I know I can't be In Recovery Mode all the time, or in Being An Adult Mode either so this is important for me.