Notices

28 hours in

Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

28 hours in

Hey everyone

Had my last drink at around 5/6am yesterday so about 28 hours ago-ish.

I’m sorry for my hysteria the past week, it’s been a ride! And not one I really want to get on ever, ever again.

My fear at the moment is these horrible withdrawal symptoms. I’ve got this incessant ringing in my ears which I’ve had for about 10 days now so that’s not due to stopping, but I think it’s caused by how much I drank. Hand tremors are not too bad, my concern is my body will occasionally jerk in the most disconcerting ways from time to time. And my whole body is generally restless. And I’m wide awake but I’ve been awake since 4pm yesterday. Have been eating and drinking lots of water, hoping that helps. Do these strange jerks in my body sound really dangerous? I can deal with the anxiety as I know that will pass but this jerking is horrible. Will try and reply to the lovely and supportive posts people have left me the last few days.

Thanks all!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's brilliant well done, we have been thinking about you! I had body jerks too, one was called my Hitler salute because my arm would fly up all the time!
Does anyone know you are doing this and can anyone check in on you? Hopefully you will be fine, but the trouble can be that you can get worse to the point of not being able to call for help. I don't want to worry you, this is what happened to me and I was a very extreme case. You can turn up to an emergency department in the UK and tell them your fears, and they can check you over and perhaps give you something to help you. Stay safe and well done x
Old 01-08-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
That's brilliant well done, we have been thinking about you! I had body jerks too, one was called my Hitler salute because my arm would fly up all the time!
Does anyone know you are doing this and can anyone check in on you? Hopefully you will be fine, but the trouble can be that you can get worse to the point of not being able to call for help. I don't want to worry you, this is what happened to me and I was a very extreme case. You can turn up to an emergency department in the UK and tell them your fears, and they can check you over and perhaps give you something to help you. Stay safe and well done x
Thank you Daisy1 for your kind words of encouragement 😊 yes I live with my mother. She was concerned today and asked me if I wanted her to stay home with me, I said no as she doesn’t get out much and I don’t want to spoil her one day out a week. Strangely enough my anxiety isn’t going off the charts which is odd yet welcome. I’ve been through withdrawal before and usually the sweating and the anxiety are the worst things to go through. This time it’s the jerking body, quite unnerving! Almost panicked to the point of getting beer earlier but I wondered if it was my addiction talking rather than any real concern of potential threat so I decided to get on the sofa and watch movies and drink water instead. What I do have on my side is throughout my drinking I’ve always maintained a healthy eating habit, so even though I’m an alcoholic I won’t be malnourished I shouldn’t think. Thanks again! X
Old 01-08-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was in the ER just before Christmas for withdrawal symptoms. I experienced everything you described except the ear ringing. The jerking would happen when I would doze off. I didn't sleep at all for a few days. Still have insomnia but I know things will improve with sober time.

Take it day by day. Hour by hour even. I know exactly what you are going through.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I was in the ER just before Christmas for withdrawal symptoms. I experienced everything you described except the ear ringing. The jerking would happen when I would doze off. I didn't sleep at all for a few days. Still have insomnia but I know things will improve with sober time.

Take it day by day. Hour by hour even. I know exactly what you are going through.
Omg yes the jerking happening when falling asleep is terrifying! Almost frightened to sleep in case you don’t wake up! The temptation to drink just to stop it is incredible. It’s true what they say - this “thing”, this demon, really tries everything in its power to kill you and kill you thoroughly and absolutely.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boy I tell ya the self inflicted crap we put ourselves thru. I had all but the ear ringing thing. Awful awful stuff. Hopefully you'll never have to go thru that again. I hope I don't . I take it one day at a time. Ps. If all is well use that experience to play that "tape" when you get a crave to booze. ✌
Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think as long as you are able to post on here you are doing well. I was shaking so much I couldn't open my phone - I'm glad your mum is there though. I also couldn't keep food or drink down and as you say I'm sure eating and drinking water helps no end x
Old 01-08-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you posted again. Those first few days are very tough but it will be worth it.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on posting, I cannot give online advice except that if you are worried about your health- see a GP.
Support to you, SuperMario.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you’re posting Super Mario, it will get better with each day, if you’re feeling really bad withdrawal symptoms definitely go to the ER!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back SM

D
Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there my dear! Glad you are back.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you again Super Mario.

Glad you are okay, if not great at this point in time.

Possibly you underestimated the power of this thing ... you wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last.

I ended up in a similar predicament to you by doing that.

Lots and lots of action when you are over the worst of the withdrawal.

All the best mate 💪
Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you! People get all sorts of strange symptoms when they first withdraw from alcohol. Insomnia is really common. As said above, if you have concerns go see your doctor. Don't worry about the hysteria. We've all got our own stories to tell. Congratulations on your first day.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How is it going SuperMario? I hope you are hanging tough and on your sober road.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So glad to see you back! Congrats on your day 1! Stay close to the forum and keep posting through everything. You got this!