Notices

Trying to quit

Old 01-05-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit

I am new to this site & would like to say I am not quite 1 day sober yet. I have been drinking for 4 years. I am 24yrs old. I never had issues stopping before. When I got pregnant with my daughter in 2017 I quit the entire pregnancy no problem. Occasionally after that toll present time I have taken time away from drinking but in November 2019 I lost my mom. It affected me more than I thought it would being she was never involved in my life. (she struggled with drug addiction bad, which ultimately took her life) My mind is completely set on quitting. I don't have cravings per se but I do enjoy getting a good buzz or flat out drunk, sometimes for the fun of it. But I am a stress drinker & that's my downfall because I tend to not control how much I'm drinking. I went from maybe a pint 4-5 days a week to recently I was drinking 12-15 miniatures a day. Started in the morning wouldnt stop till bedtime. I have been experiencing some withdrawal symptoms (shaking, nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness) but I am completely determined to quit. I wanted to just cut cold turkey but am afraid that may be dangerous. Any advice on how to quit or your experiences would be much appreciated Thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Chelley! Do not try and detox by yourself. It’s extremely dangerous. Talk to your doctor and share all your details. He/she will likely put you on a benzo to calm the withdrawal symptoms and ease your body into normalcy.

If the withdrawal symptoms are really bad (this was my case), check into an ER. Just my advice as I could not physically stop until doctors got involved.

Good for you learning you have a problem at such a young age. You will not regret getting sober. Looking forward to hearing any updates!
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Vinny. Go see a doctor.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Chelley! I'm so glad you found us. I hope the encouragement here will help you get and stay sober - there's always someone to listen & help.

I'm so sorry you lost your mom. Considering her history, you're wise to be determined not to go down that road. I used it to calm myself down, but in the end it was causing me more anxiety & depression. It does nothing good for us & keeps us from dealing with life in a healthy way. I gradually cut down on what I was drinking until I could stop - but that isn't really recommended as a reliable way of quitting. As Vinny & cantsleep suggested, can you speak to your dr. for some help?

Be proud of yourself for taking action.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Not all doctors will prescribe a benzo to help you thru withdrawal, but a lot of them will. It's generally just for a few days when the w/d is the worst.

Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous so be prepared to get help if you need it.

I got sober 10 yrs ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chelley

The best way is to see a Doctor - I've no idea what if any they may prescribe or suggest for you in your case, but it's best to be safe than sorry

welcome to SR

D
Old 01-05-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad that you have decided to stop drinking.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive and keeps getting worse. You have only been in this for four years, and you are already seeing it. It's getting harder to quit now, and your consumption is going up. I use to joke as a way of disregarding my own progression. As my consumption increased, I would say to myself that I was getting better at drinking. In truth, as your drinking progresses, you actually get worse at it. I saw this first hand, but didn't recognize it until I read about it. Right out of college I tended bar, and I had one regular who would come in sober as a judge, articulate, and socially skilled. I would serve him a shot, and talk with him until I'd be called to the other end of the bar to serve someone else. Five minutes and two shots later, he was a slobbering drunk. I'm not exaggerating, he was spitting drool and incoherent. It was so unusual that I mentioned it to someone who informed me that he was an alcoholic. I was only 22 at the time, and didn't know much, but I was told that this is what happens to alcoholics. At first they build up tolerance, but eventually lose all of their tolerance. Most aren't as bad as that guy was, and not all get to that state.

As a general rule, I would say no alcoholic gets better at drinking. They only get worse. My progression seemed slower than yours, but also insidious and not as noticeable. Years into it, I went from heavy drinking to a sudden hideous downward spiral. This is where I had to seek out help. I wish I had done it sooner.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Chelley,

I'm really glad you're here. It's good that you recognize that you have a problem and you're ready to tackle it. As you can see, there are a lot of caring people here who are ready to help you through.

I didn't have any trouble abstaining completely from alcohol throughout my three pregnancies - it wasn't even a consideration. I've seen a lot of women post the same thing here. Isn't that interesting? It's our maternal instinct, I guess. But yeah, once you start ramping up, it's alarming how out of control it can get, especially when alcohol seems to be the only way to fix the withdrawal symptoms. Awful.

Please do see a physician and see what they advise. I think since you've caught this early, you probably have a very good chance of succeeding with quitting on your first go. You just need to do it safely.

I'm sorry, too that you lost your mom. That's rough. I know you said you didn't have much of a relationship with her, but you know what? Maybe that makes her loss rougher still. As long as she was still walking the earth there was a chance that one day she might come around. I don't know. I don't know how it feels to be you - I can only imagine. But I wonder if you have sought any sort of counseling in the past or recently to sort through this stuff? Just an idea...

O
Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Chelley! I am also glad you have decided to stop drinking. It's one of those decisions you will never regret.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today ChelleyGC?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello everyone I'm still slowly trying to quit. Down to a half pint a day. (4 miniatures) which is significantly less than I was drinking. In not gonna lie its been really hard as I do tend to stress drink. But I am trying really hard to slowly decrease my intake. Also have been incorporatibg healthy food in my diet as well as tons of water, probiotics, apple cower vinegar & a good multi vitamin supplement. I'm trying really hard but still feel as if I'll never reach the point where I'm completely not drinking ... Feeling discouraged still..
Old 01-13-2020, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chelley

Tapering was pretty much torture for me too, but if you're committed to that you'll have to make sure each days intake is a little less than the day before.

If you can do that, it stands to reason you'll be down to zero soon enough,.

Of course, if you're worried about withdrawal, I really think seeing a Dr could be beneficial

D
Old 01-13-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The most correct and conservative answer is involve a medical pro.

In my experience as a binger, I stopped after a 750 ml in 2 days. I poured a gallon or so of various booze's out.

There are goals that help. First hours, then days, then months etc.

Staying clean for 5 years is a low percentage rate. Once we make that goal, the percentage goes up and up .

5 years is big deal.

Suffering and time were my way out.

Sr saved my life.

Thanks.