Notices

Thoughts on day 9...yes im still going! And some good news!

Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on day 9...yes im still going! And some good news!

I believe today is day 9! i forgot to check in yesterday...

Just wanted to do my accountability post and get some thoughts out.

I have been working out hard for the past 2 days which has been good... And ive been taking all my vitamins and supplements and health wise i am starting to feel a little like my old self. Focus, energy, etc....

My goal was to make a meeting daily and so far i have made 7 meetings in 9 days. I wanted to go yesterday but I was tired and I wasn't having any urges to drink or use so I decided I would be safe just staying in and watching a movie. But now that I'm starting to feel more normal I do feel that my guard is down a bit and I'm not as vigilant... But I also just genuinely don't have an urge to drink and I have made up my mind that I'm not going to drink today so should I still make myself go to the meeting tonight even though I know I'm not drinking today ?? Any opinions on that? I know i may hear something relatable that may keep me strong and remember why i am doing this but i tend to think of meetings as something you go to when your on the verge...I don't know🤷🏽*♀️🤷🏽*♀️

Also the good news is me and my son have been homeless bouncing around since we came back to the US because of my credit and now i have someone wanting to rent me a huge beutiful apartment right by his school! No credit check or background... Its a sublease through a friend...
​​​​​​..... Somehow i am contributing this to being sober lol i dont know could be coincidence but in this short 9 days good things have been happening to me. Being in the right place at right time, meeting good people etc. If this is any indication of how being sober could change my life i am here for it!!!💃
Old 01-03-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

But I also just genuinely don't have an urge to drink and I have made up my mind that I'm not going to drink today so should I still make myself go to the meeting tonight even though I know I'm not drinking today ?? Any opinions on that?
Yes, I think you should still go to the meeting, but maybe stop thinking of it as making yourself go.

What you said brings an analogy to mind. To me, it's like people who are sick and are prescribed medication. The religiously take the meds for a few days, but when they start feeling better, they stop. They don't take the full prescription, then wonder why the sickness returns.

Maybe look at AA as a prescription for your sickness? Something that will continue to help you feel better. Maybe in addition to meetings, you might find a sponsor and work the steps. Meetings are great for talking to others who share your sickness, but they aren't the true AA program. Working the steps with a sponsor is.

Congratulations on 9 days, and congratulations on finding a place to live. That truly is great news!
Old 01-03-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 9 days and on finding such a great place to live! That’s wonderful news!!! :-)

I can’t speak from experience, but I do think it would be good to attend the daily meetings for now as you may make some friends, make some connections that can help you in other aspects of your life (if you are getting back on your feet) and the more you go, the more it becomes familiar and part of the stability in your life. I hope that makes sense

Best of luck to you!!
Old 01-03-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ve never been to a meeting so I can’t relate but it sounds like you got to 9 days with the help of meetings. Don’t stop doing what got you this far.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its different for everybody. I went to 6 meetings a week in my first 90 days. I got a sponsor a couple of weeks in and called him everyday in the first 90. I might've missed a meeting here and there if I had to work late or something but I developed the habbit of going to meetings and staying in contact with a sponsor. The constant bombardment of the program made it a lot easier than I thought possible in the early days. I guess the wake up call of legal troubles helped too.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this and 9 days is terrific!

I'm with Suki here - one thing I heard early on was "go to a meeting when you want to go, go when you don't - just GO"! That stuck - I believe I did about 82 in 90 and that 90/90 meetings/days suggestion is a really good one. The new habit of meetings and the time to starting "getting" both the program and sobriety is just so valuable. And some days? It's just one hr (plus travel time!) that you know you will be sober and can actually just be in a room and NOT worry about stuff like apts, kids, etc. I really need that "break" some days, even now a little further in (headed to 4 yr).

Even more importantly for me, as I got some sober time under me and especially the first benchmarks of 90 days, 6 mo, etc, learning emotional sobriety was essential. My peace of mind and ability to deal with EVERYTHING is what comes with physical sobriety and meetings are part of it.

I also strongly suggest a sponsor. Working the steps is what the program is, not just going to meetings. Do you have a Big Book? The first 164p lay out what it's all about.

And I DO think that the good stuff that happens is all connected to our sobriety! It certainly doesn't hurt to think of it that way, anyway - our friend least in this community always talks about gratitude. Turning things into what we have to be grateful for (v what we don't have or still need or worry about) is such a great tool.

Glad you are here!
Old 01-03-2020, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 9 rsanchez

I'm not in AA but I believe you should do everything you can to safeguard your recovery .

Maybe eventually you'll decide AA is not the way you want to go, but in the early days why not do something for your recovery when you can .

Not wanting to do things often turns into a 'doing nothing at all' by default and that where good intentions and resolutions can break down.

D
Old 01-03-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^^Fighting that inertia is so important. A lot of the stuff of AA like going to meetings is meant for just that - a literal get up and get somewhere thing, a sit in a chair and pass the basket thing, an appointment in your day. Some of that basic life effort stuff was SO easy for me to start flaking on....then get to the place Dee describes where entropy took over and bad things began to happen and disorganization started to reign again.

That inclination to hide or to ignore or to just keep going bc we feel ok (enough) at the time....that's something I have to fight against and have learned ways to do that.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rsanchez920 View Post
I believe today is day 9! i forgot to check in yesterday...

Just wanted to do my accountability post and get some thoughts out.

I have been working out hard for the past 2 days which has been good... And ive been taking all my vitamins and supplements and health wise i am starting to feel a little like my old self. Focus, energy, etc....

My goal was to make a meeting daily and so far i have made 7 meetings in 9 days. I wanted to go yesterday but I was tired and I wasn't having any urges to drink or use so I decided I would be safe just staying in and watching a movie. But now that I'm starting to feel more normal I do feel that my guard is down a bit and I'm not as vigilant... But I also just genuinely don't have an urge to drink and I have made up my mind that I'm not going to drink today so should I still make myself go to the meeting tonight even though I know I'm not drinking today ?? Any opinions on that? I know i may hear something relatable that may keep me strong and remember why i am doing this but i tend to think of meetings as something you go to when your on the verge...I don't know🤷🏽*♀️🤷🏽*♀️

Also the good news is me and my son have been homeless bouncing around since we came back to the US because of my credit and now i have someone wanting to rent me a huge beutiful apartment right by his school! No credit check or background... Its a sublease through a friend...
​​​​​​..... Somehow i am contributing this to being sober lol i dont know could be coincidence but in this short 9 days good things have been happening to me. Being in the right place at right time, meeting good people etc. If this is any indication of how being sober could change my life i am here for it!!!💃
Sounds like a wonderful blessing for you and your son to have a home to start the New Year. Congratulations on your sober time, tomorrow will be double digits, keep it up!
Old 01-04-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Ahhh, here you are!
See my response to this very question on your other thread.

Bottom line
1. Resist with all your might the urge to slack up on anything that has been helpful to you. For me, this is a clear and reliable predictor that I will relapse. It's been proven time and time again.
2. The apartment thing is not a coincidence. Nope, nosirreebob. Good things happen when we're doing the right things. I already knew this, have seen it working during my daughter's sober times over the past year (and pointing it out) and have experienced it so strongly with my most recent sober stint that there is absolutely no room for doubt in my mind that the two things are absolutely 100% related for you too.

Believe the miracle, girl. Go with it!
What's the worst that could happen?

xo
O
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Meetings are NOT just a place to lament about not being able to drink, but also to share joy, experience, strength, and hope, as they say. If that were not the case, then meetings would be the stereotype of a bunch of sad and lonely people complaining about not being able to have a drink. Who wants to go to one of those?
Old 01-04-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What O said!

And as Dri Guy brought up: the stereotype of a bunch of old white men grumping around in a church basement is totally unappealing and def not what we can find.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey RS I would just like to say I loved reading that I know it's early days and that but your tackling it head on and that's all that matters don't overthink any situation too much just do what your doing didn't realize you had a son too so kudos there brother keep on keeping on
Old 01-04-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good point

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I love this and 9 days is terrific!

I'm with Suki here - one thing I heard early on was "go to a meeting when you want to go, go when you don't - just GO"! That stuck - I believe I did about 82 in 90 and that 90/90 meetings/days suggestion is a really good one. The new habit of meetings and the time to starting "getting" both the program and sobriety is just so valuable. And some days? It's just one hr (plus travel time!) that you know you will be sober and can actually just be in a room and NOT worry about stuff like apts, kids, etc. I really need that "break" some days, even now a little further in (headed to 4 yr).

Even more importantly for me, as I got some sober time under me and especially the first benchmarks of 90 days, 6 mo, etc, learning emotional sobriety was essential. My peace of mind and ability to deal with EVERYTHING is what comes with physical sobriety and meetings are part of it.

I also strongly suggest a sponsor. Working the steps is what the program is, not just going to meetings. Do you have a Big Book? The first 164p lay out what it's all about.

And I DO think that the good stuff that happens is all connected to our sobriety! It certainly doesn't hurt to think of it that way, anyway - our friend least in this community always talks about gratitude. Turning things into what we have to be grateful for (v what we don't have or still need or worry about) is such a great tool.

Glad you are here!
Good point about the meeting.... I ended up going last night anyway and im going again this morning... Yes i have a big book... Trying to get a temporary sponsor today
Old 01-04-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Ahhh, here you are!
See my response to this very question on your other thread.

Bottom line
1. Resist with all your might the urge to slack up on anything that has been helpful to you. For me, this is a clear and reliable predictor that I will relapse. It's been proven time and time again.
2. The apartment thing is not a coincidence. Nope, nosirreebob. Good things happen when we're doing the right things. I already knew this, have seen it working during my daughter's sober times over the past year (and pointing it out) and have experienced it so strongly with my most recent sober stint that there is absolutely no room for doubt in my mind that the two things are absolutely 100% related for you too.

Believe the miracle, girl. Go with it!
What's the worst that could happen?

xo
O

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes when you put it like that it def has to be related😉 going to the meeting shortly trying to find a sponsor and start working the steps... I have the literature and have been browsing certain parts to learn more but need some guidence
Old 01-04-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are doing great!

Keep doing the next ‘right’ thing and positive momentum will build.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Soberwolf posted this on his "What Motivates You?" thread - give the first 45 seconds a listen. I thinks it's gold.

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Old 01-05-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

R, how are you doing?
Old 01-06-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey R,

Just wanted to pop in to let you know I'm thinking about you.
Please let us know how things are going?

We're here to help through thick n thin.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me- meetings are important. My sponsor once told me he had called his sponsor- because he was tired and it was winter and had decided he did not want to go to a meeting. His sponsor told him 'once your would have crawled over broken glass in a blizzard to get booze'.
Well done on your recovery thus far.