Notices

Day 1

Old 01-02-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

12 years of drinking which has progressively gotten worse. Two years ago I could not imagine a day without alcohol but since then I've made several attempts to STOP THIS MADNESS. My longest stint was 53 days. I'm so scared because each time I relapse I go further into the abyss.

The thing that got me every time was a combination of boredom and rationalizing that I can moderate alcohol.

Today is Day 1 of my one-year challenge.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck! First day is the worst but also the best. You are now heading down a clear path. Keep us updated. Lots of support here.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to day 1! Best wishes to you.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We all started just where you are.

Very good decision.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, nice to see a 2020 member. This place can change your life. It did for me.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This could be your last day one . one day at a time
Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Those descents into the abyss keep getting longer and deeper too Sober45. Don't spend another day wondering how deep you can go. Because we already know the answer to that question - much much deeper. Only misery and suffering lay down that road. You can lay there and suffer for years. You are out now and on your Day 1 so do whatever you need to do to stay sober. You've done 57 days so you know how it works in the early days. Keep posting and let us know how things are going.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good this time.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ha! Ha! The end of my work day is approaching and the anxiety is increasing. I have to deal with some life issues "without a drink" and that prospect is difficult. If I could crawl into a hole and not be bothered it would be so much easier but that isn't reality I know.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
12 years of drinking which has progressively gotten worse. Two years ago I could not imagine a day without alcohol but since then I've made several attempts to STOP THIS MADNESS. My longest stint was 53 days. I'm so scared because each time I relapse I go further into the abyss.

The thing that got me every time was a combination of boredom and rationalizing that I can moderate alcohol.

Today is Day 1 of my one-year challenge.
I'm just about to start day 53, so your post has resonated with me. It's funny because over the last few days I have had those insidious thoughts pop into my head for the first time, e.g. 'you can have a drink for the bells!' Alcoholism really is an illness and we cannot afford to let our guard down. Hopefully you'll never be conned into thinking you can moderate your drinking again.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a learning process, Sober45, and you can do it. It takes some time and patience to find our way without benefit of alcohol, but it can be done.

You've made a good decision.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your Day 1.

Look forward to seeing you around!! :-)
Old 01-02-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Ha! Ha! The end of my work day is approaching and the anxiety is increasing. I have to deal with some life issues "without a drink" and that prospect is difficult. If I could crawl into a hole and not be bothered it would be so much easier but that isn't reality I know.
This sounds really weird but I wish I could go back to my first sober task I did that I usually needed alcohol for. It’s a feeling like nothing else. Cherish that moment. It just keeps getting better.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sober45

You've had 50 days or so, so you already know its hard the first few days after a quit, but if you stick with it, it'll get easier.

Tons of support here too

D
Old 01-02-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sober - it's wonderful to have you with us. This is a great place for encouragement & friendship. Believe me, we all understand what you're going through, the way others can't.

I drank my whole life & have almost 12 yrs. sober. When I found SR I knew I'd never have to feel alone with my struggle, and that meant everything. We know you can do it - congratulations on deciding not to settle for that miserable old way of life.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey Sober45, do let us know how you fared after leaving work.
We're here for you!

O
Old 01-02-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sober45! I'm glad you found us here. Let this be the year that you put drinking behind you for good.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

it sounds like a joke but it is the nature of addiction.

as soon as I think i am getting better it is time to get drunk again.

the real answer was my addiction was telling me i was getting better but i was really getting worse. the mental anguish seemed to escalate for a few months, the whole time crave suggested peace.

basically the healing process is a transition from insanity back to normal. i googled insanity and found i suffered from many of the symptoms initially. now this clean, they are all gone.

i have normalized. this healing is a reason to never ever ever drink again. i have not been very sick since i quit. my bp has normalized. i treat people right these days. i am a normal non drinker.

the only exception is...i still crave. but, my analysis defeats the emotional calling of the drink because i know where it will take me.

thanks.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
it sounds like a joke but it is the nature of addiction.

as soon as I think i am getting better it is time to get drunk again.

the real answer was my addiction was telling me i was getting better but i was really getting worse. the mental anguish seemed to escalate for a few months, the whole time crave suggested peace.

basically the healing process is a transition from insanity back to normal. i googled insanity and found i suffered from many of the symptoms initially. now this clean, they are all gone.

i have normalized. this healing is a reason to never ever ever drink again. i have not been very sick since i quit. my bp has normalized. i treat people right these days. i am a normal non drinker.

the only exception is...i still crave. but, my analysis defeats the emotional calling of the drink because i know where it will take me.

thanks.
I completely agree. I have symptoms of mental illness, which gradually seem to be diminishing with sober time. Like yourself, I think if I was to drink again I would severely damage my mental health.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I'm just about to start day 53, so your post has resonated with me. It's funny because over the last few days I have had those insidious thoughts pop into my head for the first time, e.g. 'you can have a drink for the bells!' Alcoholism really is an illness and we cannot afford to let our guard down. Hopefully you'll never be conned into thinking you can moderate your drinking again.

100%....it's the rationalizing. One thing I've learned is the difference between the subconscious and conscious mind. Once a habit like drinking makes to the subconscious level it's HARD to break and requires a huge amount of conscious purposeful thinking. And the way I look at now is even if I was able to moderate...what would I be doing really...I'd be living my life waiting for my next drink. Day 2.