Notices

Still sick

Old 01-01-2020, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still sick

Hi,
I used to stalk this site drunk and hopeless. I may have even posted but I wouldn’t remember. Well, things got worse. So so much worse. Rehabs, hospitals, jail... basically dead. Got in some more legal trouble and found myself in a long term sober living facility. Got kicked out. Went back again and again to different long term places. In and out. Haven’t had more than a few months sober in 5 years. Before that I had 4 years sober, worked a 12 step program, had sponsees but I was miserable. Relapsed and still struggling years later.

At this point I am drinking anywhere between a few times a month to a few times a week. No major consequences lately and I got to thinking maybe I’ve learned to control myself. But it’s getting worse again because I’m an alcoholic. I know I just need to get over myself and go to meetings but I honestly hate them. But I know that’s what I need to do. Some days when I haven’t had a drink in a week or so I feel great about myself. But as soon as I think about drinking it’s as good as done.

Im putting on a good show for everyone. Only my husband knows of my slips and he only knows of a few. He’s a freakin substance abuse counselor at a rehab. I’m a mess. I need help to stop binge drinking. I don’t know why I cannot stand AA. I don’t know what else to do. I’m being selfish and I hate it. I’ve had this act going for so long I don’t know how to move forward without hurting people. I don’t want to wait till I’m dead or back in jail to wish I had done something different. I don’t really know what I’m asking for or maybe I’m just venting. Didn’t know where else to put this. Thanks
Old 01-01-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I'm sorry for the situation you find yourself in. Mostly, I'm sorry that you went 4 years sober and didn't get to experience that freedom and relief. Any insight on why you remained miserable?
Old 01-01-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I’m being selfish and I hate it".

You aren't being selfish at all. You are just trying to take care of yourself. Many ideas will follow my post.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there, not really 100% sure. Never really felt like I fit in which felt worse when I would hear how other felt so at ease in the rooms. Perhaps underlying depression? I just never quite fit in, even years into recovery.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I'm sorry for the situation you find yourself in. Mostly, I'm sorry that you went 4 years sober and didn't get to experience that freedom and relief. Any insight on why you remained miserable?
sorry I don’t think I replied in the right place 🙃 Just never felt like I fit in, long story short.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sorry I don’t think I replied in the right place 🙃 Just never felt like I fit in, long story short.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 01-01-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by MsPink24 View Post
Hey there, not really 100% sure. Never really felt like I fit in which felt worse when I would hear how other felt so at ease in the rooms. Perhaps underlying depression? I just never quite fit in, even years into recovery.
That would do it. Part of the magic of this website for me is I felt like I finally belonged and people got me. I remember one post when I was brand new and ashamed of myself. This guy just through out there how he'd pee the bed. I was like "I was going to take that one to my grave." Suddenly though, I didn't feel ashamed.

I heard "the opposite of addiction is not sobriety but connection". It could be some underlying issues or just that nagging voice that keeps repeating how you don't belong (I had one of those I don't know if you do). If you couldn't connect its little wonder you were miserable.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

echo
Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don’t think I replied in the right place 🙃 I just always felt out of place. Like I didn’t fit it.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
"I’m being selfish and I hate it".

You aren't being selfish at all. You are just trying to take care of yourself. Many ideas will follow my post.
Thanks. Just lost right now.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

internet gremlins
Old 01-01-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

having a hard time replying for some reason so if this actually goes through I’m sorry lol
Old 01-01-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

it worked that time... I don’t really know maybe it was some underlying depression but I never really fit in. I felt really weird because it’s a place where most people who feel that way say they finally find a place where they do fit in. I don’t really know to be honest
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

internet gremlins
thanks. Sorry I just spammed my own post. And reply and it kept telling me there was an error and now they’re all there and I don’t know how to delete them. Oh my. It’s all good. I think I’m gonna stick around here. I just need some guidance. And to feel less like I’m hiding
Old 01-01-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MsPink

I found the support here really helped me. I also learned of other meeting based approaches like SMART and lifering and others.

If the problem is meeting themselves there's an approach called Rational Recovery/AVRT which has no meetings at all

In short there are many way up the mountain, so long as you're prepared to do the climbing

D
Old 01-01-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsPink24 View Post

thanks. Sorry I just spammed my own post. And reply and it kept telling me there was an error and now they’re all there and I don’t know how to delete them. Oh my. It’s all good. I think I’m gonna stick around here. I just need some guidance. And to feel less like I’m hiding

lol something seems to be going on with the site. You are not the only one to do duplicate posts in the last few minutes. And that includes myself.
Also, hello and welcome!!
Old 01-01-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome MsPink

I found the support here really helped me. I also learned of other meeting based approaches like SMART and lifering and others.

If the problem is meeting themselves there's an approach called Rational Recovery/AVRT which has no meetings at all

In short there are many way up the mountain, so long as you're prepared to do the climbing

D
very cool. I’ll be looking into rational recovery!
Old 01-01-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
lol something seems to be going on with the site. You are not the only one to do duplicate posts in the last few minutes. And that includes myself.
Also, hello and welcome!!
Ha! Thanks. Posting about feeling weird in meetings then have that happen. It’s kinda perfect.