Notices

Liam Gallagher documentary

Old 01-01-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liam Gallagher documentary

I just watched his doc As It Was on iPlayer (UK) - with his history that's gotta be the finest of margins between alcoholism and heavy drinking, assuming there is such a differentiation. It's like he's in recovery now (appreciating running, family, daylight, etc.) but he's still prone to the odd binge, though apparently nowadays knows 'when to go to bed.' Yet when he's not working on a record he's 'waiting outside the pub at 10am' - probably something of an exaggeration but who knows?

I dunno, shouldn't compare I guess. But interesting.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friend of mines Dad has been able to drink quite heavily for decades and nothing bad has really happened and he owns 3 houses, a business, Mercedes in the drive etc.

The key difference I see is that he can drink till he's drunk but when he says he has had enough, he has and goes to bed.

With me, it was so drunk I can't walk properly, but still thirsty, still wanting more.

No off switch whatsoever.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Friend of mines Dad has been able to drink quite heavily for decades and nothing bad has really happened and he owns 3 houses, a business, Mercedes in the drive etc.

The key difference I see is that he can drink till he's drunk but when he says he has had enough, he has and goes to bed.

With me, it was so drunk I can't walk properly, but still thirsty, still wanting more.

No off switch whatsoever.
Same.

I love Oasis, so will definitely watch this at some point.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Friend of mines Dad has been able to drink quite heavily for decades and nothing bad has really happened and he owns 3 houses, a business, Mercedes in the drive etc.r.
Apologies for chopping the end off your post as it included the good point that some drinkers know their daily limit and stick to it.

But I will add that your friend’s dad is hopefully OK health wise, but who knows? I drank heavily for a decade and started to develop a fatty liver which was only detected by a routine ultrasound. There were no symptoms, but a fatty liver is the first stage of liver problems which lead to scarring, fibrosis and finally cirrhosis. There are no real symptoms to any of these conditions which is a very scary thought. I wouldn’t read too much into how well a heavy drinker may seem. There are enough nasty stories out there.

Sorry again for chopping your reply and for being gloomy with it.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Gallaghers also have a vested interest in still appearing like bad rock boys.

He could be just saying certain things so people dont think hes now a "boring" family man. Who knows whats true . He could be a teetotaler now.

I met Jani Lane from Warrant in LA once. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

Thats not a pretty story.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No worries Hodd 😃
Old 01-01-2020, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really Be Here Now. People thought it was a big step down from Morning Glory, but I think BHN is a great record.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I really Be Here Now. People thought it was a big step down from Morning Glory, but I think BHN is a great record.
One notable person who thought Be Here Now was a terrible album was Noel 😃
Old 01-01-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I like it. It's fun and optimistic. They were on top of the world so why not?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've waited outside the "early opener". No exaggeration.

In fact there was a bit of a queue.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Noel Gallagher claimed that he went drinking with Bono and Bono drank far more but was up the next morning giving a press conference with the President of France. I guess take these stories with a pinch of salt, but who knows.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I’ve not seen the documentary, but any public figure promoting excessive drinking is downright irresponsible. Such a person will influence many many people, and drinkers will think it’s fine to behave in the same way. If Liam Gallagher is drinking excessively, he may well be developing irreversible liver disease. Let’s see him do a documentary then.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I’ve not seen the documentary, but any public figure promoting excessive drinking is downright irresponsible. Such a person will influence many many people, and drinkers will think it’s fine to behave in the same way. If Liam Gallagher is drinking excessively, he may well be developing irreversible liver disease. Let’s see him do a documentary then.
I’ve seen it and it wasn’t like that at, the opposite if anything. Such as going for a walk with his family up the Hollywood hillss he says why would you want to be drinking and eating hot dogs instead of doing this. And going for a jog over the Golden Gate Bridge in the morning and laughing that it was unthinkable when he was younger.

the documentary wasn’t about drinking, but being a rock star documentary some of the wild times get a mention of course.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's Getting Better Man!! was my theme song during early recovery. I'd be jogging or at the gym and it would come on my mp3 player and I'd think, You know, it really is getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaseIZHD1jA
Even now I get a little choked up thinking how important that song is to me and my recovery.
Since then my new theme song is Big Surprise by Carbon/Silicon. I'm at a point now where I can appreciate that I have survived a pretty bad experience with addiction. I'm alive. I survived.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmth7DcRNU
Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Noel gave up the drugs and booze quite a while ago. I am a massive Oasis fan. Seen them live 4 times. Was at the concert when Noel got attacked by a fan who ran up on stage. Liam is still Lian. Saw him at the Horseshoe Tavern here in Toronto while Neil Young was playing
Old 01-03-2020, 01:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's Getting Better Man!! was my theme song during early recovery. I'd be jogging or at the gym and it would come on my mp3 player and I'd think, You know, it really is getting better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaseIZHD1jA
Even now I get a little choked up thinking how important that song is to me and my recovery.
Since then my new theme song is Big Surprise by Carbon/Silicon. I'm at a point now where I can appreciate that I have survived a pretty bad experience with addiction. I'm alive. I survived.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmth7DcRNU
I think my Oasis-inspired recovery song list would be:

Stop Crying Your Heart Out
Whatever
The Masterplan
Little by Little
Old 01-03-2020, 04:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I think my Oasis-inspired recovery song list would be:

Stop Crying Your Heart Out
Whatever
The Masterplan
Little by Little
I'd just have to add '(It's Good) to Be Free'. Maybe 'Don't Look Back in Anger'. Even 'Roll With It'?

Ah the list could be endless! I forget how optimistic a lot of the lyrics are. Might listen to some Oasis today!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I'd just have to add '(It's Good) to Be Free'. Maybe 'Don't Look Back in Anger'. Even 'Roll With It'?

Ah the list could be endless! I forget how optimistic a lot of the lyrics are. Might listen to some Oasis today!
Just skip Cigarettes and Alcohol! ;-)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyAgain View Post

I’ve seen it and it wasn’t like that at, the opposite if anything.

I should’ve watched it before commenting. That’s good to know then. Whether they like it or not, famous people influence others, and if he’s seen to be living healthy, others will follow.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I should’ve watched it before commenting. That’s good to know then. Whether they like it or not, famous people influence others, and if he’s seen to be living healthy, others will follow.
Yeah definitely the emphasis was on healthier living, especially as you get older. That's why I was like it's almost like he's in recovery, 'cause what he mostly promotes is similar to recovery stuff: like when he's got purpose (working on a record) he's nowhere near a pub, likewise when he's feeling connected (to his family). The binges if anything seemed to be on the way out. I just felt that you could still see that alcoholic-like flicker of desire whenever booze came up.