Notices

Need some advice

Old 11-28-2004, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some advice

I have been married for 10 years to my husband. We have 3 children together. My husband drinks 8-10 beers every evening and is taking anti-depressants. I have a hard time understanding this. I feel like he wouldn't need the anti-depressants if he didn't drink so much. He is not abusive in any way. He tells me he is not an alcoholic. He stays gone 4 out of 5 evenings to his buddies house drinking. Now he has lost his job. I have never been around alcohol in my life. This started 3 years ago. I would like as much advice as possible. I don't know what to do. My children barely know him.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,bellgirl.Welcome to Sober Recovery.You can find a lot of support here and get some answers in the Friends and families of alcoholics forums.Good luck to you.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ugh!

Hey Bell, I'm new here too and dealing with the exact same thing. Just thought you'd like to know you are not alone, I know reading your post kinda helped me not to feel so lonely with this. Thanks,
~Faith
Old 11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its me again....I am contemplating divorce. However I was raised that divorce is not an option. I read where so many ppl are trying to quit. I wonder why my husband can't be one of them. Are there any steps I can take to help him? I feel this a choice he has to make. I just wish he would STOP drinking.....
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ama

If it were that easy - to stop alcoholics would. Lord knows that we want to - hate what it does but it is a disease of obsession.....Mental addiction and physical allergy. He needs help by the sounds of it. I know because I do too!!!!

Will power is not enough -

Welcome to SR as you are suffering the disease too - our families pay such a high price. Stay on board as it is good to hear you and know many wonderful people are alcoholic. We are nice people with a horrendous disease.....I pray for all of our recoveries. Luvs Ama
Old 11-29-2004, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((((BellGirl))))))))
Sure is a choice he will have to make. I lost the power of choice in drink even though I claimed "loudly" not to be a drunk. Have you pondered Al-Anon Family Group for yourself?
3Legs