Notices

A gift, of you will...

Old 12-31-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A gift, of you will...

My son is newly diagnosed Autism, with OCD and severe anxiety. We recently started him in counseling with a psychologist specializing in anxiety. Together, they are working on overcoming his main phobias.

Today we had an appointment and I joined for the first half. The doctor kept telling my son that his fears were his anxiety talking, not him, and he was going to learn how to make that voice stop.

Holy cow was that an eye opening moment for me! I have anxiety as well. And the added bonus of alcoholism. I’ve always referred to my AV as “the beast”.

After the appointment, I shared with my son that I too get that voice- for me both anxiety and alcoholism. I even told him that I call it the beast. I was able to share with him a trick that I use to shut it down. He seemed receptive.

As much as I wish I could go back in time and erase my alcoholism, I can’t. And this crappy road may lead to a stronger, healthier road for my child. Im hopeful that he will get in front of any potential self medicating strategies and develop some appropriate coping mechanisms for life.

Today, I choose to see this moment as a gift.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life is a gift ATLAS. A blessing to see such events as a gift. You are a good dad.