Notices

Day 3

Old 12-29-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

It takes longer to fall asleep at night the past couple of nights, and I have some anxiety in the early evening. No urge to drink though there is alcohol in the house (but not my types). No more than couple of mild passing thought about ordering one glass of wine when we go out to dinner with friends tomorrow night, to which I quickly say "not an option." My husband will support me in not ordering a drink--remind me if necessary; we've discussed it.

Today I was starting a classic CBT cost-benefit thing about drinking, listing the downsides (many) and benefits (illusory). One thing I need to do is lose a lot of weight, and the empty calories of drinking have been a contributing factor.

I looked up some info and added it to my cost-benefit analysis. Yikes! Seeing the calories in a bottle of chardonnay (avg. 635) or 5 shots of vanilla vodka (425) listed on paper (well, Excel) is eye opening!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 3. It may take some time for your sleep time to even out.

Yeah, the calories and dollars that drinking takes up is pretty amazing.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lily! I always think the first two weeks are the hardest, and then it gets easier. In my opinion, part of addiction is habit forming and you need to get into the habit of not drinking.

As I'm sure you're aware, anxiety is normal in the early stages of stopping drinking and is a symptom of addiction. Alcoholism is a progressive illness, a proverbial slippery slope. If you don't stop now it will get worse. If you haven't already, then add that to your list.

In a way I sometimes think mild addictions are worse, as there's always scope to believe that you're not that bad, or that you could cut down. I have attempted to stop when in that situation hundreds of times, with mixed success. This time I have suffered horrendous withdrawal, likely due to kindling and I don't think alcohol is an option for me again.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on three days. That is wonderful. What a great way to bring in the new year. Not only do you save on calories the bloat goes down considerably as well.
Your skin will be glowing , smooth and eyes bright. My face is no longer puffy its awesome
Old 12-29-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This evening I opened a gift from a friend. Thankfully she wasn't there to see my face. There were a couple of gardening books (yay) but also a silver novelty necklace consisting of a chain and 2 charms. The charms were a bottle of wine and a wine bottle opener. I felt the tension in my heart and stomach. Because she is out of the country for a while and we'll be traveling too, I won't see her until March. Then I can share with her that I'm no longer drinking.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Duplicate

Last edited by LilyLady1; 12-29-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12-29-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LilyLady1 View Post
This evening I opened a gift from a friend. Thankfully she wasn't there to see my face. There were a couple of gardening books (yay) but also a silver novelty necklace consisting of a chain and 2 charms. The charms were a bottle of wine and a wine bottle opener. I felt the tension in my heart and stomach. Because she is out of the country for a while and we'll be traveling too, I won't see her until March. Then I can share with her that I'm no longer drinking.
Awesome. She will be a lot more understanding than you think.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 3 Lily I am sp proud of you!

It gets a lot easier, but yes, the thoughts and discipline will have to be the forefront of your mind,always. This is our great fight and our greatest blessing, to be able to say no.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations for choosing Sobriety lily and day 3. Disturbed sleep is pretty common in early days but you will find a pattern that suits you. Keep going and posting your progress.
Have a great day
Old 12-30-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey congrats on day three. Walk in the park compared to my day three wow it was horrible but you know what I would do it all over again if I had to why? Cause the benifits are so much better I like so much I'm on day 240. You will too. ✌
Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go on Day3! You may be surprised at how the pounds fall off from not drinking all those empty calories. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-30-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today we got up at 4 am, left home at 5 am and drove 7 hours. Looking at a couple of houses this afternoon with a realtor then meeting friends for dinner. Holy carp I'm so tired already (not sleeping much) , and having some anxiety. Had diet coke with lunch. Already practicing "Just ice water, please" for dinner.

Hope to sleep in late tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr

How are you today Lisalily ?
Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A good start, LL. Keep posting your progress.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Water is soooo good for you.
I keep it with me at all times.

Tired is fine. Your body is tired from a long battle with a foreign (poison) substance.

You're gonna do great today and greet the New Year with new hope.

O