Notices

Daddy I have never seen you drunk........

Old 12-29-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daddy I have never seen you drunk........

This sentence today whilst driving my 9 year old daughter to visit my 90 year old grandmother made me feel so thankful and grateful I can’t even describe it in words...

After 3 years of sobriety to hear my daughter say she doesn’t remember me drinking is just another miracle I have been given whilst sober. Iam so grateful my daughter has no memory of her drunk dad falling over and stumbling around in oblivion most nights. Iam so proud Iam setting the example of how a father should be, Sober, reliable & loving.

I have achieved more growth in every area of my life since getting sober than I managed in 10 years drinking. I have rediscovered myself and slowly but surely built a life Iam proud to call mine.

In the last 3 years I have lost 40 kgs, started a new business, written a book, patented an invention that I will manufacturer overseas, overcome severe anxiety, met a wonderful sober partner & most importantly become the dad I needed growing up.!

If your considering stopping drinking or wondering if it’s worth it I can tell you that it will be the best decision you ever make for yourself and your family. It’s not easy but it can be done!!

God bless
Old 12-29-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That is indeed a gift Herc

D
Old 12-29-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That is indeed a gift Herc

D
hi Dee long time my friend. I hope your well and had a great Christmas.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes! That must have been the best feeling in the world! My daughter is 4 and I stopped drinking about 16 months ago. I love that she never has to see or remember me in that state. Or her father, who has been sober going on 6 years. It is so great to be able to always be there for her-body, mind and soul...and for her to not know any different. Great post
Old 12-29-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats man. I can imagine how that must feel. I have an 8 year old daughter and to be realistic, she's the only reason I even attempted to sober up. Being an alcoholic with equal custody after the divorce, I had to tread very carefully, especially since that was the reason she left me. There were times I couldn't take her on my days because "I was sick", but she eventually came to learn what that meant. Something she shouldn't have had to at this age. But when I had to take her with me to an AA meeting last night and she played in the room next door with another kid, she understood why and it's so she never has to see me take another drink. Although I was at least just responsible enough to not be stupid when I had her with me. I can only hope in a few years, she doesn't remember that I was in detox/rehab when she was younger or failed at a certain point in her life, even if I kept it isolated to when it wasn't my week.

Congrats again.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful, Hercules. I worry about what impact my drinking had on my now grown son. I'd give anything to go back and be fully present, not numb & foggy.

Thanks for a positive & helpful post. Very happy for you.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Hercules, the fluid top-up my motivator needed this morning.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations dads. Simply awesome. You understand what is important in life.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Hercules, congratulations. I'm so happy for you! As we say in Scotland .. 'gaun yersel!'
Old 12-30-2019, 01:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yours was indeed a great post Hercules. Congratulations.

I wish I could have uttered those words to my father.

You have done the very best thing possible for your daughter Hercules. I am a daughter, and I know.

Abgator. You are present now, and that's what your daughter will remember. My Dad didn't stop.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post. My daughter was 2 months away from her 6th birthday when I finally put the drink down for good and began my recovery journey and I am so grateful that she doesn't remember me drunk. She had a 6th birthday party and loads of gifts. She had no idea I had given her the best gift of all.... a sober and present mummy.

Thank you for sharing such an inspiring post

❤❤❤
Old 12-31-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What an amazing post! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and happy new year!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WOW. What a miracle. And a gift you’ve truly earned. This makes me so happy for you both. 💛