Notices

Yeah...I know..

Old 12-27-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yeah...I know..

I've been drinking every day.....for a month or so. Now I have to stop. No option really. I'm having surgery on my spine in 2 weeks and I'd rather not have a seizure at a delicate moment.. yeah...pretty depressed right now
Old 12-27-2019, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing to it but to do it. I know I would if I had to go thru that. Hey getting sober is a good thing. ✌
Old 12-27-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Patterson, have you had seizures before?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand the surgery must be scary, but I'm glad you're stopping drinking. Give yourself every chance of a quick complete recovery, Patterson.

You can do this
D
Old 12-27-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto Rican.

Yes, that's the attitude I try to adopt. Just do it. And two weeks will give you good time to prepare.

So far it's worked out alright. Remaining sober will make it even better.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find the resolve to quit drinking for good.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you willing to ask your medical team for medical assistance? I would be 100% honest about your drinking BEFORE you get to that surgery.

An at-home medically assisted detox may be an option for you. I would make an appointment today and lay it all out. It's inexpensive, doesn't take long and that fear of a seizure would be alleviated.

I'd say quitting drinking is the 180 degree opposite of depressing! You'll will be so glad you did it.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Biminiblue. Tell the medical team now about your drinking and detox with their help. It is also only fair to them that they know what to watch out for. All the best.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Imagine for a moment that you did not have a surgery scheduled in two weeks. Would you quit today or keep drinking?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try looking at it from a different perspective. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise that you are having surgery and are forced to stop drinking.

It’s messed up but some days I wished I would have a non-life threatening health issue that forced me to quit drinking because my mind wouldn’t let me do it by myself.

Best of luck on your surgery.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Are you willing to ask your medical team for medical assistance? I would be 100% honest about your drinking BEFORE you get to that surgery.

An at-home medically assisted detox may be an option for you. I would make an appointment today and lay it all out. It's inexpensive, doesn't take long and that fear of a seizure would be alleviated.
This is really good advice. Good luck on your surgery!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, yes Zevin, I have had seizures before. They're very frightening. Either it's because I quit drinking...or I drank too much. I've been quite careful and haven't had any for 4 years now. My GP did note I have a seizure disorder in my pre-admittance paperwork.

I'm kinda hesitant to draw more attention to it though. I don't want it delayed any longer or catch hell from WCB, this surgery is for a work injury. That's part of the depressing part too...a big part of my life was my job. I've been off since July. It's not been a case of hitting the bottle hard, I generally don't get that drunk anymore, but I can't seem to stop completely.

And I absolutely know how much better I feel when I've been sober for a time. I have cut down over the last week and I will be out of the woods soon...

Thanx everyone 😟
Old 12-29-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you're quitting. You never have to return to that miserable place.
I thought drinking comforted me during bad times, but it just masked my emotions & made my anxiety worse.
But as you said, "Yeah, I know." We are with you, Patterson.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Omg....the anxiety, I just recently realized how bad it has gotten. The afraid to leave the house or answer the phone type of anxiety.

I've felt this way before, it only got better when I quit drinking...I had a good 8 months that time I actually felt really good, then I blew it...
Old 12-29-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
Omg....the anxiety, I just recently realized how bad it has gotten. The afraid to leave the house or answer the phone type of anxiety.

I've felt this way before, it only got better when I quit drinking...I had a good 8 months that time I actually felt really good, then I blew it...
We only have today. Going forward right now you can feel really good again. I have been sober for 64 days. It was tough the first week and I said why bother many times before hand. Why bother I've relapsed so many times. I need to bother because this is my life! I need to live without poisoning my mind and body.
It really is a terrible existence. It is much easier to deal with life alcohol free. The urges , cravings, and the thoughts of drinking are tough. I know if I am honest with myself I can get through them.
I am always sooooo grateful after the feeling passes that I did not drink.
I wish you the best. You deserve to get back on track and feel good.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
We only have today. Going forward right now you can feel really good again. I have been sober for 64 days. It was tough the first week and I said why bother many times before hand. Why bother I've relapsed so many times. I need to bother because this is my life! I need to live without poisoning my mind and body.
It really is a terrible existence. It is much easier to deal with life alcohol free. The urges , cravings, and the thoughts of drinking are tough. I know if I am honest with myself I can get through them.
I am always sooooo grateful after the feeling passes that I did not drink.
I wish you the best. You deserve to get back on track and feel good.
Thank you faith,

That's a big problem for me, the repeated relapses..why bother.
It is a really horrible existence though, there's so many things I would like to do. When I'm sober I get energy to do it. Then I'll drink, fall back into the routine, get depressed and give up.

Thank you for reminding me There is a good life on the other side..
Old 12-29-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

why bother?
cos you were not made to live a drunken life Patterson. Your destiny is greater than that

D
Old 12-29-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee....sometimes you forget.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I certainly hope you can get sobered up before the surgery. I must say though, one of my first thoughts is that if you come through this surgery successfully you will likely be on opiate painkillers for a short period, and alcohol and opioids kill people. Keep that in mind.