Emotions vs logic

Old 12-27-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FWN

Emotions vs logic

I am trying to understand why I second-guess myself in the situation whenever I speak with him on the phone, even if it is not about the situation at hand. When I speak to my good friends here about the situation, explaining things aloud, or even when I write on here it is like I am speaking or writing the facts and I know for certain I’m doing the right thing, why do the facts get so muddied when I talk to him? After I’m done speaking with him I have to remind myself of the facts and then it centers me. It’s just annoying that I keep going back to that place where I feel bad or I second guess things.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe because you are--and always will be--emotionally attached to him in a very different way than you are with good friends?
You two have children together and- since you will have to communicate with him concerning the kids for years- it might take a while before you get used to not letting emotions rule the conversations. Time will help!
Old 12-27-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He’s also probably actively trying to manipulate you when he talks to you right now. He is really good at it- he has convinced you to stay a hundred times already. And his whole lifestyle, family, and crutch while he isn’t a fully functional adult himself are all on the line.

When I first left my XAH, every conversation we had left my head spinning. It was a combination of being lied to and being manipulated like his life depended on it. When I first told him I was divorcing him I got some of the best performances of his life. I stuck to my guns but it was confusing and difficult.

It doesn’t impact me anymore or make me question myself. But it took many long months, probably close to a year, before I became mostly immune to it. Also, I completely refused to engage on any topic other than parenting and only as much as is needed. Whenever you can get to that point, it’s much harder to be sucked back into the black hole. I realize that’s not practical at this stage but long-term it will get much easier.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went back and read some of your posts and you have had a really hard year. Your husbands DUI with your child in the car, a newborn, losing your job and deciding if you need a permanent or temporary break. As others stated to just taking about the kids and not allowing him to suck you back in. Time will help but you have to stay strong and from everything you have been through you are strong.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Because it's what you want? Because he keeps promising it to you?

You want to believe him. If you didn't care so much about this you wouldn't have stayed as long as you have. He's not a bad person overall but he has a huge problem he needs to solve.

You don't hate him. You just don't like what he is doing.

All that said, until you get some real time and distance, you won't be able to really see it, however look at now even, you are starting to see it, eventually you will see why, could be a number of things, abandonment of someone, abandonment of you, wanting someone to look after you, years and years of being gas-lighted.

Eventually with enough space it will come to you. Therapy is also an option to try to help you. You don't have to feel guilty you know, you haven't actually done anything wrong.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"It’s just annoying that I keep going back to that place where I feel bad or I second guess things."

I believe that after years of living with an active alcoholic, "that place"
is a comfort zone. Dysfunctional and destructive, but comfortable
nonetheless. Alcoholism/addiction is a mental illness with
damaging effects on all family members.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholism/addiction is a mental illness with
damaging effects on all family members.
I'd get this tattooed on my forehead if it would fit!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Maybe it would be helpful to step back from the "why" and simply look for what helps with clarity and moving forward and embracing those aspects for a bit. Giving self space to heal is amazing!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Three A's I learned here and in Al-Anon:

Awareness

Acceptance

Action

--+++++++

Addiction/alcoholism is a beast! Spending a good amount of time in the presence of those who've been in good solid recovery can be super helpful.