Notices

Have you gone on a cruise while sober?

Old 12-27-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you gone on a cruise while sober?

Oops, wrong forum. No idea how to move this.

We have a cruise reservation for late 2020. In the past, both of us have taken advantage of the "beverage package."

Right now it feels dangerous to me, but I may feel differently in 6 months. My husband said it's totally up to me (cancel now, cancel later, or go) and he'll support me in whatever I choose.

So, have you gone a cruise in the first year of sobriety? What was it like for you?
Old 12-27-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved the thread to Newcomers

I'm not a cruise guy but others here will have experience.

I don't know that anyone can give you a guarantee you'll be able to go on this cruise or not - but I do know that lots, if not most of, cruises have meetups for Friends of BillW - aka AA meetings.

D
Old 12-27-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a cruise ship person but, all inclusive beach trips was my 'thing'. I haven't been on one since commiting to sobriety 3yrs ago. Not saying I'll never go on a beach trip again for fear of drinking but, I'll have a more activities focused itinerary for sure. In the past it was a simple "get drunk by the beach for a few days and see what happens" type thing. LOL
Old 12-27-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, if it feels dangerous, you should probably not go, because there will be temptation. I cruised in my second year of recovery and it was no problem at all for me because I didn't feel like I was 'around alcohol' on the cruise. I am very active and there are SO many things to do on a cruise ship. I've done Zumba classes and line dancing. There are lot of fitness options, including an outdoor track for walking. And, as Dee said, 'Friends of BillW' meetings are always listed on the intinerary.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I cruised several times since quitting and I craved a bit each time.

But, I ate all the time, didn't miss any fancy dinners, worked out sometimes 2 times a day, went on excursions, and didn't relapse.

Each cruise was more fun as I learned to thrive from my new clean ways.

There are different schools of thought. Just depends on how committed a person is to stay a non drinker.

There were so many times that would sit near people drinking excessively. Being drunk is absolutely a bad look. It is a sad thing, but funny too. Seeing folks talking too loud and acting silly because they are drunk is sort of like a bad soap opera.

Cruises are where active addicts take it to new a deeper levels of drinking .

This time of the year is tough. Easy days at work for me, lots of free time. I am turning the free time into gains with my health and my family.

When I was a drunk I was sure to be going through detox right now. I would either be drunk already or craving hard like a crack head.

I never turned down a part since I quit. It was hard at first and now it is not that bad. I actually get naturally high from the energy.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also.. 6mo from now is a ways. Try not to 'future trip' and reevaluate a bit closer to the cruise date.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I went on a cruise after 9 months of sobriety and relapsed.
I am a closet drinker, so I had no problem (rather smugly) declining the never-ending wine pours during dinner, the after-dinner liquors with coffee, ETC. ETC.

BUT...that mini-bar in our room that was magically refilled every day? I had a very complex way of drinking the little bottles at night, when the Spouse was asleep, hiding said bottles, and .....well, you get the idea. It was EXHAUSTING and then humiliating when I got caught.
Vacations have always been a trigger for me and we travel quite a bit. So, you might want to start thinking of how to deal with that situation before your cruise.

One option is to ask that your mini-bar be emptied of alcohol beforehand. That's a fairly common request in hotels and cruise ships. They will just add extra soft-drinks, etc.

But, you seem to be NOT hiding your drinking from your husband so that's great! You can be open in asking him for support when you feel tempted.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The cruise is actually not until Thanksgiving week. I was thinking maybe 6 months from now might be a decision point, or we can even wait a bit longer if unsure.

We decided to put off the decision for a while. My focus is on today, tomorrow, and our January in Florida.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m fine around alcohol and others drinking. I even had brandy butter and some Baileys dessert cream on Xmas day so in theory I broke my sobriety period, but for me that’s very different from drinking.

Others here would rather avoid such close proximity to alcohol, and that’s fine.

But for me, to be stuck on a ship for days with the booze flowing, that’s one situation I’d avoid. Every ex-drinker will have their breaking point where temptation wins.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a different concern about going on a cruise.

My wife and I are considering taking our first cruise this year. I'm not at all worried about drinking alcohol on the cruise ship.

What I absolutely don't want to do, is somehow subsidize the drinking of others on the cruise ship, via the cruise ship package that we pay for.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, thought I'd share my experiences with cruising.

In her later years, my mother's health really limited her ability to get around and cruises were the perfect way for her to get away. She then decided to take the whole family. I went on three family cruises while still drinking.

On most cruise lines, including the one we used, you don't pay for anything; you simply put spending on your ship card. Boy, did I rack up some nasty bills, nearly all attributed to drinking.

After I got sober, I went on one final cruise with Mom. I'm so glad we had the time together; she died in late 2016.

The cruise worried me some as I was fairly to new to sobriety. What helped:

- There were daily AA meetings, and I attended twice, though I don't participate back home. Met some really nice folks.

- We cruised on Norwegian and the customer service was stellar. On our first day, asked that the booze be taken out of our mini-fridge and it was promptly removed.

- Different cruise lines offer different packages. On Norwegian, the only drinking I subsidized was my own!

- Exercise. There are usually one or two days where you do not dock anywhere and on those days, I went to the exercise room at least once and did a lot of walking. Also caught up on reading. Otherwise, get off the boat and go enjoy nature. Lots of people do just that, without going to the on-land drinking meccas.

- I didn't isolate but I didn't plunge myself into the middle of things on the ship, either. I saw there are actually a LOT of people who don't spend the entire vacation drinking. I also saw enough people ridiculously loaded to remind me why I love living in recovery.

Hope this gives you some ideas to process.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not a cruise but did go to an all inclusive resort twice. Being the only sober person had its ups and downs. Pros- 1. I got the BEST seats on the beach and at the pool every day. 2. I saw the gorgeous sunrises over the ocean every morning. 3. I remembered the entire trip. Cons- being the only sober person but I was ok with that
Old 12-28-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,
I went to Vegas at 8 months, we vacationed our usual 2 weeks, and I just didn’t have any problems.
Now, on my 1st sober cruise I boarded and a WAVE ( lol ) of “Boy, that Yummy umbrella drink looks fabulous!” hit me hard! I mean out of nowhere. I told my hubby how I felt, and went to our cabin immediately. Where I opened my AA Big Book and read .... anything! I was refreshed, calmed and then joined my hubby up on the Lido deck. Whew!
That was over 6 years ago. Now, I cruise at least once a year. I always go to the Friends of Bill Meeting location at the assigned time. Though 1/2 the time, nobody else shows up.
I acknowledge immediately any feelings of ... that drink looks tasty, though my brain goes to auto pilot and plays the scenario through pretty quickly. I know that ONE drink is the end of my life, as I know it. I also see the folks who are drunk, geez, no thank you. A great “bad example”. I have an excellent support system, a strong program, and those proverbial tools in my toolbox.

Bobbi
Old 12-29-2019, 12:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have never been on a cruise, but when I go I think a sober cruise would be my best for me to not drink. There are sober cruises and sober destination vacations. Google them.