Notices

72 days and the unknowns

Old 12-27-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

72 days and the unknowns

At 72 days and still treading water in sobriety.

Monday is my follow up for medical stuff; my lingering abdominal pains and pressure tells me I'm likely not healing as most are on SR. Maybe my bloodwork on the 6th was not as great an indicator as I hoped. Weird symptoms abound everywhere.

The results of Mondays appt will also likely impact my career if a medical condition is diagnosed related to substance abuse.

Wish i had more moments where I felt like real healing is taking place. As most on SR feel pretty good at 30 days, I feel fairly rough at over 2 months sober and that's likely not a good sign.

I'm trying to address every area of my life positively, but I have no means of self comfort whatsoever. I'm just a wreck with fear that at 42 years old I've finally pushed it too far. The nightmares won't stop.

I'm not sure how I would have even made it here without SR...my heart is just broken, I'm so depressed, barely faking it at work, barely sleeping, forcing myself to eat.

So many here have offered such great encouragement...I'm just scared due to symptoms and lack of feeling like I'm improving and can't find a way to soothe myself.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not everyone gets sober and bounces back to feeling better as expected.

The key word is "feeling" because regardless of how you feel, you are unarguably physically better off without your booze or substance.

You are in touch with a GP, that's good.

What are you doing to fill the mental gap left by booze / substance ?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read, go to the gym, eat well, seeing doctor for anxiety as well on Monday, trying.. really am in every way I know how.

Not tempted to drink whatsoever, desire is gone.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wishing you comfort and peace. I look forward to having as many days have you have and having no temptation to drink.

You may find that your physical state is not all due to remaining effects of alcohol and that's why you don't feel as much better as you expected. For example, a friend had digestive issues (including abdominal cramps and bloating) for a long time and her new nurse practitioner was the one who finally tested her for food allergies. She eliminated dairy and feels great. So your doctor may have other solutions that will help you.

But as Derringer said, you are unarguably better off physically without drinking.

Hope you'll have positive news on Monday.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt better at the one month mark, that doesn't mean my journey was over as I too still have bad days just like everyone. If your bloodwork was good on the 6th, very high odds you're perfectly fine but you may not believe or feel you're fine.

I'm not trying to discredit your feelings on any potential personal health issues, but excitement and fear have the same physical response manifestations its only how the brain chooses to deal if you get pleasure/excitement or fear (anxiety)

Keep us updated sadforldr and I wish you well.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might have some physical thing going on that isn't related to drinking. Your symptoms sound food-related to me but your doc can tell you about all of that. Go see a nutritionist if you can. Also, your employer is likely not allowed to make career decisions based on a health condition related to substance abuse. Get some legal advice there too from a plaintiff's employment attorney if that becomes an issue. Hang in there sadforldr. 72 days is amazing and whatever you have yet to deal with can only be properly dealt with sober.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

also...should be mentioned anxiety can manifest itself in a number of physical ways.

Hope seeing the Dr will put your mind at rest a little bit sadforldr7

D