Notices

"I don't want to do this anymore."

Old 12-25-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

"I don't want to do this anymore."

by lee price
https://www.mamamia.com.au/sober-at-christmas/

six women piled into the car to take the journey south for our girls’ weekend away. Two nights without kids, beach walks, uninterrupted conversations, and lots of alcohol – what could be better?

The friday night passed in a blur of talking, drinking and dancing. I woke with a pain in my head, my stomach and my heart. I couldn’t remember going to bed, or most of the evening.

The hot shame enveloped my body, as pieces of the night came back to me. Too ill to enjoy our cafe breakfast, i sat quietly, willing the ache to leave my body. It was a wretched pain that i had felt so many times, but somehow this was different.

The girls discussed the night’s events, of which i could recall almost none. It hit me then – was this still fun? Is this what a great night with friends should be?

Clear as day, the words came into my head: I don’t want to do this anymore.

But could i really just stop drinking? After all, it had been my go-to for a good twenty years. Would i be able to celebrate, commiserate, dance, connect, relax and parent without it? I truly believed it to be an essential part of life. So why did it hurt so much?

When i got home after that wasted weekend i first asked the internet if i should quit. I came across a website that re-framed sobriety as a positive choice, rather than a sad consequence.

It said that the amount that you drink, or the number of days of the week that you drink are irrelevant. If alcohol is getting in the way of what you want to be doing with your one amazing life, that is the only sign you need that it’s no longer serving you.

I thought about all of the things that alcohol had stopped me from doing, or at least got in the way of. How many breakfasts with friends i had missed due to hangovers; the times i had parented by switching the tv on for more hours than i care to admit; how many times i had fallen asleep on the sofa instead of having the productive evening that i had imagined.

It turns out alcohol was taking a lot more from me than it was giving.

my friday nights look very different now...

i wasn’t 18 anymore, needing the confidence to dance on podiums or meet new people.

I was a happily married, 37 year old mother of two and i realised then that i didn’t give a damn what anyone else thought of me anymore.

It was only my opinion of me that mattered, and frankly i didn’t like what i saw when i looked in the mirror after a night of drinking.

I decided to commit to three months without alcohol. By giving myself a good chunk of time, i imagined i could try sobriety on for size and see whether it suited me.

The benefits poured into my life. I had more energy in the evenings, i read anything i could get my hands on, i woke early for exercise, i had more patience with my children and bedtimes were no longer rushed.

I could drive to a party, have meaningful conversations that i would never forget, and take myself home whenever i pleased. I never got headaches, or felt ill – in fact my health has improved out of sight with barely a sniffle for the past few years.

The three months passed quickly and i extended my ‘break’ to six months, then 12. From there i realised that i no longer wanted or needed alcohol in my life at all. I was free.

A friend who is questioning her own relationship with alcohol asked me this week if this would be a tricky time of the year to quit. Did i find it hard to be teetotal at christmas?

Honestly once i had made the decision to stop, i had no triggers or moments when i wished to be able to drink.

I recommended she read books such as allen carr’s the easy way to control alcohol, or annie grace’s this naked mind that de-program your subconscious mind.

This is the part of your brain that is wired to believe that you need alcohol in certain situations. Reading these books taught me that everything i thought i knew about alcohol was untrue. Once my subconscious got the message, i felt the power of alcohol fall away.

These days i notice how prevalent alcohol is. It’s at the heart of many a birthday lunch, night out, party, meal with friends or summer bbq. The good news is, i’m more than happy to say no way rosè without feeling as though i’m missing out.

I like to play the tape forward and think how i would feel in a couple of hours, or later that night, or the next morning. How everything that i had planned to do would most likely be skipped because i’d had too much to drink.

So it turns out there is a good time to say ‘no more’ to alcohol. It’s the moment that you realise that you only get one life and you don’t want to waste a second of it feeling like crap.

Your moment may look different from mine. But if you’re imagining a life where happiness comes from within, and isn’t linked with booze anymore, why not try it out?

You can always go back to it. Or you might end up like me where it’s not a case of i can’t drink anymore, it’s that you just don’t want to.
d
Old 12-25-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent post Dee.

So makes sense to me now.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like the difference between "can't" and "don't want to".
Old 12-25-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful post. Such a powerful story.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish my sobriety was as rewarding as the author’s. Unfortunately, at over 16 months sober, I’m discovering more and deeper issues with insomnia, migraines, depression, and anxiety. There has been no “pink cloud.” No energy, no feeling good physically, so it’s hard to feel good mentally. I rarely feel good enough to exercise, which used to be something I depended on for clarity and was crucial for me during prior periods of long-term sobriety. I’m also dealing with a muscle injury.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but I honestly felt somewhat betrayed by my own sobriety and body when I read the author’s post. I should be feeling much than I am...but I’m not. And it’s getting old. I’m tired. And tired of being in pain.

Thanks for all you do.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PS. I have a good counselor, I attend meetings, I see my doctor regularly as we try to tackle this myriad of dis-eases of mine, and I do not work a program.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the author had a relatively bump free journey too.

I found the article to be inspirational which is why I posted it - but like you Luna Blue I had a few more things going on that I needed a doctor and a counsellor for.

It took me a year or two to identify and change some things - things beyond just not drinking - that were stopping me from being happy, or living a full life sober.

The important thing, I think, is to have faith that this road leads somewhere good and not give up.

I really believe better days are ahead so long as we stay in recovery.

I'm glad you have both a doctor and a counsellor - I hope you have a change for the better in the New Year

D
Old 12-25-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That was a super cool post.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear you LunaBlue. It is not all rainbows and unicorns, and I'm sure it wasn't for that author either. She gave us the 30,000-foot view of the whole thing after a really long chunk of sobriety. I am living in Day 35 and there are definitely a myriad of health issues that I will deal with for a while, perhaps for the rest of my life. Very few of us come out of what we did to ourselves unscathed, and many of your health issues sound as if you might be dealing with those whether you became an addict or not. I am just grateful that I get to deal with all of that clear and calm and able to think and make good decisions, as do you.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee, thank you for this post.

I see and relate a lot to the "I got tired of living a life that was no longer serving my higher purpose." I just didn't think ever that it could be my great love; alcohol.

Her story was of course a snapshot of her getting tired of living this way, and who know how much deeper things ran. For me, when I really decided enough was enough and it was time to start working a program and uncovering some hard truths about myself, it became clear as day that every thing I did that was hurtful to me or anyone else was due to my drinking.

Since I have stopped, I go up and down from pinkish cloud to depressed and you know, I have to be ok with that. Life ebbs and flows and nothing is linear. But I sure as hell appreciate that I am not pouring gasoline on a lit fire anymore. I can process and feel and deal with situations head on and with a clear mind and best of all, tools and a support system as I have never known.

No more hangovers, no more missed moments, that is all great and stuff but the real sauce for me is the deeper connection I am finding with my Higher Power and myself, which in turn is connecting me more deeply with people in my life and THAT is the gift. That I can help someone else, be there and assist someone who suffers from my malady...that is the hack to a better existence.

Thanks for sharing this.

Nic.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I loved the before/after snapshot. I could relate so much to this post. That one innocent seeming glass of rose doesn't end with me having sensible conversations and showing up for the people in my life and myself.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent article and post. I can't describe in words how much better life is on anyday with no alcohol but FRIDAY sober is the most sweet sound relaxing night I have in the week it's just a proper cool day and night to be sober.. you remember everything and never wake up wishing you went out and got wasted

Because that's all it is getting wasted trust me I would not be here for a near 7 years if I wasn't getting something out of this

And a lil Segway to the beautiful mags who has posted a new weekender thread so jump on board

Friday night sober .. if you know you know

Im giving normies FOMO because my recovery makes me better in every aspect of my being with unlimited life upgrades through patience and wisdom and where did I learn a lot of it
?

Excellent excellent article D
Old 12-26-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am with you on this LunaBlue. Nine months sober and still battling most of the time. Perhaps it just takes longer for some.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

My apologies guys.

Perhaps it was a mistake for me to post an article from someone who I'm guessing does not identify as an alcoholic.

I just thought it would be good for newcomers to see life doesn't come to an end when we get sober.

It certainly wasn't my intention to upset or offend anyone with this article, or even worse, make any of us feel bad.

I've always said recovery is a two phase focus - the first is not drinking and the second is building a sober life we love.

Phase two can take some time, and a little faith.

I genuinely hope everyone reading can find the kind of life peace and freedom I know recovery can offer

D
Old 12-26-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by LunaBlue View Post
I wish my sobriety was as rewarding as the author’s. Unfortunately, at over 16 months sober, I’m discovering more and deeper issues with insomnia, migraines, depression, and anxiety. There has been no “pink cloud.” No energy, no feeling good physically, so it’s hard to feel good mentally. I rarely feel good enough to exercise, which used to be something I depended on for clarity and was crucial for me during prior periods of long-term sobriety. I’m also dealing with a muscle injury.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but I honestly felt somewhat betrayed by my own sobriety and body when I read the author’s post. I should be feeling much than I am...but I’m not. And it’s getting old. I’m tired. And tired of being in pain.

Thanks for all you do.
nobody can tell what pain is going on in my mind and body but me and a doctor.

I am not going to try, but I will say that at 16 months was still pretty jacked up. Mentally and physically.

I was way better than when I was drinking, but I am way better now than i was at 16 months.

I remember I used to drink tons of herbal teas and other drinks to quell my crave every night.

These days I still crave at times and I expect in 4 more years i will crave even less.

I am looking forward to the future of being super clean.

Poisoning my mind and body with booze will never happen. Now this clean I am aware.

I don't believe the hype anymore. I know I had a problem with booze and it caused irreversible brain and body damage. No need to ever allow that to occur again.

I have to be a big boy and say no to getting high on booze.

I get high on other things because I am a heavily kindled addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post, Dee. Clearly, getting and staying sober is both a personal choice and story but most of this one resonated with me (except that I waited much longer than the writer to get sober. I regret that). It's relatively early days for me at just over 6 months and it's hasn't all been a bowl of cherries but I can honestly say that absolutely nothing - nothing at all - beats that extraordinary relief of waking up sober and all that brings with it.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is a fantastic read. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-26-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think the article was excellent Dee. It isn't like that for some of us yet, perhaps never will be that awesome, but it is a great example of how much easier and more simple life is without alcohol and the daily struggle it put us all through. As a group us addicts suffer from horribly short memories and I think often we might forget how much worse things were while drinking and having to deal with what life throws at us in a toxic state. The only message that I took away from that piece you posted is that we can leave that part of the struggle behind.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No apologies necessary Dee! The article is inspirational for many, and also is a good reminder that alcohol serves no purpose in our lives. Even with everything I have going on, it is clear that my life is better without alcohol. As someone mentioned above, I would likely struggle with these things whether I was an addict or not. And I did struggle whether I was using or not, but of course some of my issues are more noticeable when not using, as I am not numbing them out.

I’m glad I’m sober. It’s worth it.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Love this.

And I love that this article tells a story that quitting is a good thing for anyone who realizes and admits that they don't like what alcohol is doing for their lives. You don't have to be a true alcoholic like me to quit.

My path sure hasn't been smooth either- but, truthfully, I feel pretty darn lucky (and grateful) that the package deal I've had in sobriety is what it is.

Thanks, Dee.