random thought

Old 12-20-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

random thought

So, late husband had a retirement account. He was making withdrawals from it to fund his beer and cigarette habits. (he was getting unemployment, but that wasn't enough) It was his money, but the large chunks he was taking out pre-retirement had tax consequences that I was paying for. Our tax preparer clued me in because he thought I had a right to know. Late AH died almost ten years ago.

The way this was set up, I have to take a minimum withdrawal every year, even though I'm not retired. This stuff makes me anxious and I put it off all year. So Wednesday I called the investment company, finally got to Mackenzie, who asked me a bunch of security questions, the last of which was "approximately how much is in the fund?" I made a guess, and it was close enough for Mackenzie and I to complete the transaction. Even though I make these withdrawals, (and they're tiny, I'm not rich) the fund has continued to increase in value.

As we talked, it occured to me that had Late AH not died, he would have spent all of this money by now.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, he eventually would have gone through all the money. However small I hope the fund gives you a bit extra to care for yourself.

That seems like a funny security question. Although I guess it was yours from his estate?
Old 12-21-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it was mine from his estate. There were other security questions. I guess (it's only a guess) I'd have a current statement to look at?