Notices

Relationship after sponsor “break up” questions

Old 12-19-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relationship after sponsor “break up” questions

I recently changed sponsors. My “break up” with my former sponsor was not a horrible one. I am 7 months sober and I want to thank her bc she is a huge reason I made it 7 months! I am nervous and scared to approach her. That’s my ******** insecurity 100% Any thoughts on this ?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would go ahead and thank her. I'm sure she would appreciate that.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! Text or actual phone call😬
Old 12-19-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,
I have experienced having different sponsors. Part of being a sponsor is wanting the best recovery path for the person they sponsor. If they themselves are grounded in their sobriety they will work through their resentment if any at all.
If you remain Sober the rest of your life you will come in contact with many different individuals that will be part of your sobriety path. Treat this as saving your life. You need to move on and grow in your sobriety at times. Your motive is to grow and stay sober. Sponsors have their own sponsor that will guide their path and to bring concerns to. Please do not feel worried , bad or embarrassed. These are thoughts our alcoholism wants us to dwell on. Keep going forward and continue your sobriety. The previous sponsor can still be a part of your sober peers. Sponsorship is suppose to enhance supportive experiences not deter them. Please do not personalize sponsorship (I know its hard) but your life depends on it
Congrats on your recovery! Definitely thank your previous sponsor, share how much you valued their sponsorship and got you to 7 months. Share your truth.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by mkzapata85 View Post
Thank you! Text or actual phone call😬
Or you could send a lovely handwritten card.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hi,
I have experienced having different sponsors. Part of being a sponsor is wanting the best recovery path for the person they sponsor. If they themselves are grounded in their sobriety they will work through their resentment if any at all.
If you remain Sober the rest of your life you will come in contact with many different individuals that will be part of your sobriety path. Treat this as saving your life. You need to move on and grow in your sobriety at times. Your motive is to grow and stay sober. Sponsors have their own sponsor that will guide their path and to bring concerns to. Please do not feel worried , bad or embarrassed. These are thoughts our alcoholism wants us to dwell on. Keep going forward and continue your sobriety. The previous sponsor can still be a part of your sober peers. Sponsorship is suppose to enhance supportive experiences not deter them. Please do not personalize sponsorship (I know its hard) but your life depends on it
Congrats on your recovery! Definitely thank your previous sponsor, share how much you valued their sponsorship and got you to 7 months. Share your truth.
Thank you very much 💛
Old 12-19-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I hit six months, I sent my first sponsor a text of thanks. No answer. It was a good lesson that we have to remember "it's not about us" - and that I was indeed grateful for the start on the steps she did with me, and for where I had continued to progress without her.

I've had several sponsors in my 3 yr 9 mo and change sober and it's been tough to break up/change, so I get it - just don't over think it. And, of course, have to ask if you have a sponsor now?
Old 12-19-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by mkzapata85 View Post
Text or actual phone call😬
My preference in similar situations is actually for face to face. You can't hug via text or phone. :~)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

for me, face-to-face would be the way. though sometimes i do tough things by text or email deep down i know that it was a half-measure. it gives me the relief of having done the thing that needed doing while leaving a little bad taste of not really showing up.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Meet with them in person and have a real discussion. No text, no letter, just honest communication with fully human interaction.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I thank my sponsor everyday. HP .