Notices

Unpleasant Question....

Old 12-19-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Unpleasant Question....

There really isn't a dignified way to ask this question so i'll just ask it.

As a heavy daily drinker for years, now with a couple of days sober under my belt, when can I expect my stools to firm up and bowl movements return to normal?

I honestly can't remember the last time that I went without it coming out like water. As I say, sorry for the details but I just wanted to ask. I'm eating better now and obviously not drinking, but they still haven't changed. I assume they've been like that for years due to me consuming thousands of liquid calories per day. My digestive system must be wrecked which is why I think my body is struggling to regain normal function.

Many thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure about the timeframe but you can ask your doctor for something specific to help with bowel issues. A probiotic might help too. I know in detox they gave me something specifically for this issue.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NewJourneyStart. I recall sometimes it was 3 or 4 days and sometimes a few weeks for me.

Its important to keep hydrated even if that seems to make the problem a little worse for a while.

Like Mera said if you're concerned seeing a Dr is always an option.

The good news is my years of digestive issues have by and large gone since I quit alcohol.

D
Old 12-19-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think a week or so? Ask the doc. Your body is learning to extract nutrition from food again as before it was getting all of its energy from alcohol, so would just shed other food. Your system will slow way down because it is learning again. Do me a favor and concentrate on lots of veg and fruit and high fiber foods. Your digestive system really responds to those. Please please ask a doc or a health care provider all of these questions.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quote un quote the hersheys are normal you are purging right now.give it a minute you will be normal again. Long as you stay off the sauce
Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, there goes breakfast. Just joking. I would call your doctor and get his or her advice. Maybe he or she can call something in for you. Have the number of the pharmacy you use handy.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My digestive tract was very inflamed (even bleeding) when I quit. It took about a week to get mostly right.

Alcohol is kinda like drinking turpentine in a way--it is very toxic and actually metabolizes (I believe) as sugar / formaldehyde so your poor body has really suffered.

I am great now with no problems (unless too much strong coffee) and that seems to be fairly common on this list for those who quit and stay quit--when I've relapsed, the problem comes right back--

Congrats on your sober time and look forward to many improvements physically and mentally--better sleep, clearer skin, brighter eyes, and feeling good in the morning instead of like death-warmed-over

I
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had some pretty severe gastro issues in the months/years before I quit and it took a while for them to improve - weeks if not months to get back to some semblance of "normal". Having said that, if acute issues persists please see a doctor.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
herby

Try and stop drinking coffee drink plenty of water and just be patient. Your body is trying to get rid of all the toxins Go to the chemist explain you are in alcohol recovery and get something for your loose stools. I'm sure you'll be fine. Stay strong.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can answer this based on my experience. I am currently detoxing and going on day 3. Every time I go through withdrawal, I barely eat and drink gallons of water. By day 3 my appetite returns and I gorge myself on food (ate a whole chicken, whole grain bread). Late day 3, my bowel movements usually return to solid form. Always an indicator that my detoxing is near the end is when I no longer feel as though I am urinating out of my rectum (sorry to be graphic, best way I could describe it). I expect my bowel movements to return to normal by tomorrow.

TMI- but my truth
Old 12-22-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1) Porridge
2) Bread.
3) water.

You need lots of ruffage to bind your stool. I say 4 days then you will be passing solid turtle pops!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Funny but legit question. For me, while detoxing, it takes about 5 days for my bathroom habits to get more solid and 10 days to become normal. Good for you and keep it up. Each day gets better and better!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

THANK YOU for asking this question! I thought I was the only one going through this. Day 4 for me and today got a little better. Try giving up caffeine for a bit. I’ve read that really brings on the symptoms and is seeming to get a little better for me today.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's so nuts what our bodies internally go through when we drink, as if the emotional and mental torture weren't enough!

I had constant diarrhea while drinking, and I would act like it was no big deal. When I stopped, it continued for awhile and I knew that it was part of my body re-generating itself, healing itself. I had stomach pains and was in the bathroom a lot.
My doctor knew that I was quitting drinking and seeking help, so we were monitoring my blood pressure (I am 35 years old and it was 163/112 while detoxing) and I would check in. I am glad she knew about my journey.

I cannot remember exactly when I went back to normal, but when I did, I began to notice the physical changes; I was losing weight, energy was returning, clarity of mind and thoughts and anxiety decreased. I was also no longer sweating at night. I went back to do blood work and my liver enzymes had regulated. I checked my blood pressure and the best reading I had was a few points off of perfect 120/80. I was shocked. I knew that I would heal but seeing the changes happen was very emotional for me.

Now, I am working on sleep hygiene and diet (healthier foods). This coupled with my spiritual program of recovery (AA) and getting back into a workout regimen, and I feel much better.

I hope that you get yourself healthy and it is wonderful that you are on your way!
Old 12-22-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm saying around one week for me, but it varies for everyone.

The amount of healing and reconstruction the body goes through once alcohol is stopped is amazing. From stomach acid levels, intestines, blood pressure, sleeping, brain chemistry, skin hydration, hair growth, testosterone levels, and yes liver function.

It's definitely poison even in moderation or recommend daily intake.