Notices

Mom TV Show - AA Meetings In The Show

Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mom TV Show - AA Meetings In The Show

A friend of mine in AA introduced me and my wife (who is also in recovery) to the sitcom show titled "Mom". It's about a mother and daughter who both attend AA meetings. The show is on CBS and has been around for several years so we may be late to the party on this one.

We really like the show. If you are a hard core AAer you may not like it because it certainly takes some liberties with the AA program but we think that overall it's worth a watch as long as one can "take what you need and leave the rest". We think that overall the positive pro-recovery messages are stronger than the laughing at dysfunctional behavior side of the show. YMMV.

Wikipedia link follows for reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mom_(TV_series)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

I've been a fan of this show for a few years now and I am not an AA'r.

I think the show gets it right way more often than not and feel like it strikes the right balance with humor and truth.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this show! Hahahahaha
Old 12-18-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

thanks ill check it out
Old 12-18-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is one of my favourite shows, I don't record much but this is on series record.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love Mom, a great show, great characters, especially Bonnie.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My not so smart TV will be searching for this show.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love Anna Faris but haven't watched the show. I'm always loathe to watch most celluloid stuff with AA - or, as it should be called "12 Step"- anything in it. This Is Us has some OK (meaning, accurate) portrayal but most stuff is anywhere from uninformed to much worse. Always amazes me that stereotypes that could be researched quite easily are more often than not part of the portrayal.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I love Anna Faris but haven't watched the show. I'm always loathe to watch most celluloid stuff with AA - or, as it should be called "12 Step"- anything in it. This Is Us has some OK (meaning, accurate) portrayal but most stuff is anywhere from uninformed to much worse. Always amazes me that stereotypes that could be researched quite easily are more often than not part of the portrayal.
August I hear you. But accuracy is not a priority in most comedy shows. It's not just about alcohol or AA. Comedy writers take license to exaggerate everything and anything. That's part of what makes it funny. Accuracy is expected for documentaries not comedies.

As I said in my original post I think that in balance AA and recovery are portrayed in a positive light overall. But if one focuses on accuracy there is plenty to criticize. I really need to keep Rule 62 in mind in order to enjoy the show.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, I know - it's just a thing with me. I do disagree with you that overall portrayal is positive and balanced, but then again, that's me. There are shows I keep enjoying regardless of this particular aspect - and you're right, creative license and all that- and of course have to remember that statistically most people aren't noticing this at all!

I do think that our collective conversation around alcoholism -and truly, drinking in the first place- is something that needs to be changed in our celluloid world.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't think I'd like it but I do.

I can't comment on the AA portrayal but its one of the few shows dealing with recovery on TV today and that it does so with humour and also gets you to care about the characters is, I think, pretty special

D
Old 12-21-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't have TV and I don't do streaming. Just a personal idiosyncrasy. But I do buy lots of movies and an occasional TV series. I do have a small collection of films about alcoholism because I'm interested in it. I just ordered the the first three seasons of Mom, and then I'll go from there. It sounds interesting, and I like Anna Faris. She plays a crazy goof a lot of the time, but I recently saw her in a straight role (can't remember what it was) and she impressed me.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have only watched it a few times, but really liked it. I may need to find s way to stream prior seasons.