Notices

I am impressed

Old 12-18-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

I am impressed

Not that this is that important but scrolling through the threads watching all the new shoots of sobriety coming through I don't think I've ever seen so much as I have today on page 1 and I just think that is awesome

Shout out and massive solidarity to all the newcomers and not so new newcomers

This is what it's all about

Old 12-18-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it that suddenly (or over the past few months) there are so many Day Count threads. I think SoberRican has done an outstanding job of posting a positive update every single day and so has kk1k5x with his, "Rome wasn't built in a day," thread and many other newly sober people have picked up the count. Every single sober day is precious.

Indeed, more Success Stories! That's the way to roll. Well done.

Thank you!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Living in Day 28 here. SoberRican is definitely an inspiration for me and I think many others. I am working on my sobriety really hard and have some good support in place, but not disappointing SoberRican is a really motivating tool for me to keep in the toolbox. All of you long term sober people too amaze me with your generosity. Here are a bunch of us emerging from the wreckage and so many of you are here to help us. That kind of generosity is something I didn't give or receive when I was trying to kill myself with alcohol.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love the Newcomers board on SR; it’s the board that I read and have done since day 1. A wonderful resource and thanks to everybody who posts 🙏
Old 12-18-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats what its all about. In order to keep it you got to give it away. Do all things work for everybody? No but thats not the point. Its all for the cause. And that's sobriety. Freedom. Your body and your soul will love you for treating it well. ✌
Old 12-18-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love seeing the newbies.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sober Rican always makes me smile. Makes me happy.

You are a good soul Sober Rican.

Day 3 for me.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wanted to say hi Soberwolf.

Long time no see.

I see you are still travelling strong and well. It's good to be back.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seeing people break free is enormously satisfying to me. I've thought about this before and wondered why it pleases me so. I don't actually need to know why. I can just enjoy it, and go on with my life.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

It's that time of year where newcomers are rushing in to sobriety. Happens around this time every year, too! How many can stay stopped? We are yet to find out!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sugarbear1 do you usually see a surge of the newly sober during the holiday's like this? That is interesting to me. I would think Jan would be the big wave but it starts before that? It is sad to me that we all cannot stay stopped but having spent the last 29 days here, I see graphically that this thing pulls so many of us back down into chaos even after chunks of time sober. Very scary and depressing.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Raise that glass of water up high,

Cheers to all of us!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The support here has been amazing. I am really putting these boards to use instead of lurking. It's helped me be accountable to myself.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
sugarbear1 do you usually see a surge of the newly sober during the holiday's like this? That is interesting to me. I would think Jan would be the big wave but it starts before that?
I would think after New Years would be common. Like alcoholics getting a bunch of good Holiday benders out of the way, and then starting sobriety as a sort of New Year's resolution. A sort of "I'll start tomorrow" kind of thing.

On the other hand, I can also imagine a lot of "been ready to quit for a while now" types, who don't want to wreck another season of the Holidays for their families and themselves.

I quit on January 3rd, and I laughingly told AA friends I had to get the Holidays over with before I could put the bottle away, but actually, I don't think that had anything to do with my sobriety date. However, I remember that season, especially how I struggled a losing battle with cravings all the way through it. That may have played a small role in the timing. I'm not sure.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm the same way. I love seeing all the new people coming in and starting (or re-starting in some cases) their path to long term sobriety.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a nice post. I am so lucky to be here with you all and you have played an integral part in not only planting the seed of what sobriety might look like for me, but being with me every step of the way throughout this ride.

You all keep me sober and I always try to remember that in order to continue on this path, I must stay teachable, humble and willing. Someone with 20 years can teach me just as much as someone with 2 days. I will not stay sober on yesterdays meeting, yesterdays log in, yesterdays prayers and meditation. Each morning I wake up, I am again an alcoholic who needs the program of recovery in my life. It must surpass all else in level of importance because without it, all else fails.

I thank you all for being the last communication I have every night before bed. I have come to depend on it, look forward to it and cherish it.

We are so lucky to be getting sober in this time, when we can easily access other alcoholics and support each other virtually. Amazing how close you can get to people who span the earth. Another gift to be grateful for.

Goodnight family, love you all!

Nic.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Unfortunately, I have many years in the field of alcoholism. Mostly drunk days. With recovery thrown in every so often. Yes, there is a surge at this time of year. Also incidents of self-abuse and suicides increase between Thanksgiving and the New Year. There is a second wave of people attempting sobriety after the New Year and again by Valentine's Day (maybe a bit after this day, if one's love does not return the favor!). Things slow down as spring approaches and people relapse in the nice weather ("I'll get sober later" happens now....... Needless to say, rehabs slow a bit as people don't need the shelter with the warmer weather. Summers are weird and there are mini-waves of people coming in the rooms. A slow rise as the weather cools and then another Thanksgiving....the cycle continues. Let's try to end this vicious cycle!

Many factors come into play. One thing I know, my alcoholism wants me dead, so I do what I can to keep it at bay.

Wishing you a beautiful sober journey!
Love and hugs,
~SB
Old 12-21-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

NicLin, you made a great post there in #17.

May everyone who wants it get sober today. Stick with us, there are many success stories on this site and it does get so much better with some continuous sober time.