Notices

BP levels after 3 wks sober: Newbie

Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GG7

BP levels after 3 wks sober: Newbie

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I posted this in a reply to a post on one of the other threads regarding blood pressure. But I was hoping to get more visibility and replies by posting it here. I hope that is ok, as I am very concerned about this and looking for feedback. Thank you in advance!

I am new to the forum and decided to cut down on my drinking as I was drinking 1-1.5 bottles of diluted champagne daily (spritzers). I felt a tingling in my right hand 3 wks ago which scared me and prompted me to take my BP and it was 150/100. I went to the doctor but unfortunately I get very nervous and have the "white coat" syndrome and frankly even get nervous and anxious before taking it at home. The whole thing just has me all disappointed and upset. I will say, I also gained 20 pounds over the past several years and BP started going up with the weight gain too, so not sure it's all based on the alcohol but I know it contributes. Well the Dr's seem to think the right hand tingling is nerve damage or carpal tunnel since I work on a computer for many hours daily, and I fell and hurt the same hand years ago in the similar area. Since not drinking I have also been eating fruits, vegetables, and fish to eat clean, working out an hour of cardio at least 4 days a week on average. As of today my BP is 135/95 and another reading was 135/100 but I was nervous when I took it, as I always am when I take it. I also, would like to add that 2 weeks ago my numbers were looking better and they were 125/88, and at a few other readings even lower. I am concerned that the BP numbers got higher this week all of a sudden when they were going down. I was wondering could it be because i stopped cold turkey and now 3 wks later my BP is up? Makes me feel like I am trying so hard to do the right things (not drinking, exercising, eating clean), and they're still now lower. My Dr. wants me to come back in two weeks before she puts me on meds because I am doing well she said with the regimen, and I have lost 7 pounds so far. Anyone experience this fluctuation week after week with the BP during the first few weeks or month of going sober? I am reading how others saw a change in a week or two and feeling discouraged that mine is not where it should be after 3 wks. Thanks for anyones feedback
Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR GG7. I also had pretty dangerously high BP when i was drinking, and it has gotten a LOT better since I quit. I also experience the white coat syndrome and health anxiety in general. You could certainly be experiencing that now if you are obsessing over the readings, I did that all the time. Having said that, your best bet is to keep in touch with your doctor....if there is a medical cause they will help you figure it out, we can't do that here via the internet.

I'd also discourage you from comparing your recovery to others - we all heal differently. For me it took several months for all the physical problems to get back to some semblance of normal.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay sober, keep eating cleanly, and keep losing weight. Also I take an herbal supplement (yeah yeah I know people don't believe in these things sometimes but the numbers don't lie) called Divya Mukta Vati. It really works. Look into it! Also how old are you? BP tends to go up with age. I wouldn't get discouraged 3 weeks in.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GG7

Thank you ScottfromWI for your reply. Yes I have been very upset about the whole thing. Just because I know better. I used to workout 6 days a week, personal trainer...whole thing and over the past several years stopped working out, eating fattening foods, and the drinking. So I am working on not dwelling on the past and moving forward to the future with positive results.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
GG7

Thank you Cantsleep123 for your reply. How many days or years sober are you? I believe in natural remedies, so you found the right person to share that info with...lol! I will definitely be looking into it. I have been taking magnesium, just started garlic tablets two days ago, and a supplement that promotes nitic oxide to help with blood flow that folks my relative works with were raving about. So I am giving it a try. I am 45 this week.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GG7 View Post
Thank you Cantsleep123 for your reply. How many days or years sober are you? I believe in natural remedies, so you found the right person to share that info with...lol! I will definitely be looking into it. I have been taking magnesium, just started garlic tablets two days ago, and a supplement that promotes nitic oxide to help with blood flow that folks my relative works with were raving about. So I am giving it a try. I am 45 this week.
I'm only a week and a day in brother. Your age shouldn't really contribute to BP levels in that range, I'm betting it's the booze and the extra pounds (and also anxiety!). I have white coat too but I went in last week after taking 2 tablets and I was 120/70. I about flipped! If you PM me I can give you the link to the ones I buy from Amazon. They are so cheap too.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find something that works to help you with your blood pressure.

Please remember we can't give any kind of medical advice here, and it's always best to check with your doctor before taking any kind of herbal supplement. You never know how it might affect 'you' and how it might interact with other medications you are taking.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GG7

Congratulations on your first week + 1 day!!! And thanks, I was just about to send you a message asking you that question about the vitamin/herb. But it looks like I cant message anyone yet until I have 10+ posts since I am new to the forum. Are you able to post it here?
Old 12-16-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GG7

Hi Anna,
Thank you. Yes I am very careful..trust me lol! Fortunately, I am not on any meds, and my doctor respects my desire to try natural remedies (herbs, vitamins, amino acids, etc) along with exercise and diet first. Then if necessary try a medication which I am hoping not have to go that route, by God's grace.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope you find something that works to help you with your blood pressure.

Please remember we can't give any kind of medical advice here, and it's always best to check with your doctor before taking any kind of herbal supplement. You never know how it might affect 'you' and how it might interact with other medications you are taking.
Tell a doc about this supplement and all you'll get is a puzzled look unfortunately. It is a good idea to at least ask though.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first week + 1 day!!! And thanks, I was just about to send you a message asking you that question about the vitamin/herb. But it looks like I cant message anyone yet until I have 10+ posts since I am new to the forum. Are you able to post it here?
I don't think we can post links to specific products here. Keep posting and you'll get to 10+ soon enough! I already sent you a message but maybe you can't get it until you're over the 10 post hump.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GG7

Cantsleep123 Thanks again. I'll keep you posted!
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cantsleep123 Thanks again. I'll keep you posted!
3 more posts....