Notices

Regardless of being sober life still sucks

Old 12-14-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regardless of being sober life still sucks

Tried to have a decent weekend with the family and went to an amusement park. Everything was great until I get the phone call from my lawyers office basically saying so your case is closed, but not dismissed like it was supposed to originally. WTH I say. Why not. Well since you didn't stay out of trouble they're going to keep the charge as is. Just great...so now I have this charge on my record which I'm sure employers will love. You know right after that point I completely shut down. I didn't want to even be there at the amusement part anymore. Originally my mother in law is who told my daughter to call the cops on me for this particular charge to get arrested in the first place. My daughter was 8 at the time. I'll be honest I hate my mother in law with every bone in my body for sticking her nose in my family business. I don't need to hear about she was looking out for this or that. She lives in another state. Mind your freaking business. So I bust my ass to complete everything in a timely manner, pay what needed to be paid and still get the middle finger.

Top it off I got into it with my wife cause yea I'm blaming her mom. Yes I know my actions as I'm not saying I don't. I'm seething with anger as I type this and just one more hurdle for me to have to jump now in what has already been a difficult job search.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Man, that sucks, getright15! Not the exact same circumstances but I've had times that even sober life still sucked. Sometimes all you can do is keep your head down and keep on keeping on. Bad times will come but they're easier to deal with sober.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That’s unfortunate and discouraging. Drinking causes nothing but problems.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry the hits just keep coming.
I had to keep reminding myself that sobriety didn't bring this, drinking did.

It was all me and my bad choices back then.

Its hard but try focus on the things you're thankful for, not the stuff that grinds your gears.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That would make anybody really angry and frustrated GetRight. I am sorry about that. Alcohol messed so many things up in my life too. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about the result of the criminal process or background checks with employers if I were you. As a proactive measure sit down and write out what happened and how you have changed and learned from your hard knocks. Good luck my friend and yes, even sober, life can still kick us in the head. But dealing with that sober is so much better than getting drunk and waking up with the same or worse problems than you passed out to.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What sucks about recovery is that its very slow to gain and very quick to destroy. You can only add one more day at a time. You can destroy it all in the minutes it takes to get and pick up that first drink.

You can stay sober today and it seems like nothing has changed by the end of the day. The thing is every day that you stay sober the MIL is just a little bit more wrong about you.

I had a felony charge hanging over my head. Due to my drinking of course. It was out of my hands so everyday I just focused on what I could control.

There are no instant results. Even after a lot of work sometimes you still don't see the results you want.

It's like an old school Vince Lombardi offense. We have to line up every play and punch them in the mouth and just get a few yards. It's not glamorous or exciting but we keep the chains moving. If we screw up, if we turn the ball over, if we allow the drive to stall they (alcohol) have an explosive offense. They have Jerry Rice, they have Barry Sanders. We've seen too many times how quickly alcohol moves down the field on us. The thing is if we are patient every day, if we believe in what we are doing, if we continue to follow the right path, if we play our game, alcohol can't stop us. They ain't getting the ball back!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Deep Breath. Case closed. Go with those words. I myself have a blemish on my record. I have passed numerous background checks with it. I am now going through another one and I am worried to death.
I can empathize with you. I think everything will work out for you. x
I just skimmed your threads and you have six months sober. That is excellent. You are really doing the work. That is priceless time you have earned. Money would never gift you the sobriety you have earned.
I say that because that is what I tell myself and its true. Six months is a miracle and not many people have been able to achieve that.
I can get the best job in the world but without a solid foundation
it would be fruitless in the end.
Please be nice to yourself. Focus on how far you have come.
I am not sure where you live or where you are trying to find a job.
Is there a recruiting office in your city? I have gone through recruiters and they have a wealth of contacts. They get paid to find you a job so they are really on your side. They have opportunities that have not been posted as well.
Keep moving forward. If being in trouble with the law but still being able to have your brain, your family and your life that is a good deal.
If this event was the catalyst of getting Sober it may be worth all the pain , tears and pause you have to go through.

Keep filling out the applications do not let this deter you. I think after the New Year the market will be flooded with more job postings. I know in my heart if you keep doing the next right thing everything will unfold for you for the best.

Congrats on your six months
Old 12-15-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You're still dealing with the fallout if drunk people problems. Sober people problems can be brutal as well but, in my experience, nothing compared to my drunk person problems.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you got that bad news when you've been doing your best to move on. Try to stay focused on moving forward. Yes, the job search may be more difficult, but it won't be impossible.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate the words of motivation from everyone. I really do. I've been trying to pick myself up each chance I can. I finally saw my psychiatrist to get me back on my medications as I wasn't taking them for months since I couldn't afford to see her. Yea Friday was a pretty rough blow and it leaked over into Saturday. Today I'm just going to try and enjoy football and clear my mind. I do have an interview Monday so lets see how that goes.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
I appreciate the words of motivation from everyone. I really do. I've been trying to pick myself up each chance I can. I finally saw my psychiatrist to get me back on my medications as I wasn't taking them for months since I couldn't afford to see her. Yea Friday was a pretty rough blow and it leaked over into Saturday. Today I'm just going to try and enjoy football and clear my mind. I do have an interview Monday so lets see how that goes.

Thanks everyone.
Great attitude. This too sha'll pass.
Enjoy relaxing and football.

Congrats on the interview .. let us know how it goes!!
you will be great.. remember you are interviewing them as well.

Someone said that to me on this board and it helped my confidence
tremendously plus its true.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
This may sound insane at this moment in time, for you.

Someday, like many here, perhaps, you will look back and agree, that "discomfort is the price of admission to a genuinely meaningful life."

When we learn to accept that life is not fair, easy, painless and we are not always going to get what we want, we can learn to discover who we really are, what we really value and where we really want to go in life.
Like Tupac who was born not to make it, you can make it.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Life on life’s terms faced with no chemical crutches; feel the emotions and face ones fears. As long as one stays sober and lives honestly and actively works to recover then things all level out and serenity can blossom in time.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do have an interview Monday so lets see how that goes.

Fingers crossed for you - hope it goes well.
Things might be rough - but believe me they would be much worse if you were drinking. 6 months is amazing. You're stronger than you think.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest that you start practicing gratitude every day. It can change your whole life and make you happier too. Give it a try, what have you got to lose?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 12-15-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck on your interview!!
Old 12-15-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck with your interview tomorrow!
Old 12-16-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I hope the interview went well. I think seeing your psychiatrist and getting back on meds sounds like a wise idea. Hopefully you can put the anger over the past in the past and move forward.