Notices

has anyone struggled in an aftercare program?

Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

has anyone struggled in an aftercare program?

Im a few months into recovery and I go to AA meetings, continue daily readings and listen to a recovery podcast.

My Intensive Outpatient Program was great and I went into a weekly aftercare program that meets for once a week for a year. Its is available for all who complete the IOP so members come in and leave at different times.

I want to complete the year in the program buts its been a bit of a struggle. The recovery staff doesn't facilitate the meetings so the weekly meeting is done by a former who volunteers to run the meeting. A great deal of our meeting time is spent listening to the more vocal members talk about their relationship ups and downs, ongoing family feuds, headaches at the job and stuff like that. There is also quite a bit of cross talk between folks sharing details about stuff like cooking recipes, sports, the weather and other things. The talk about alcohol and recovery seems very secondary. A big part of me wants to stick it out but then another part of me feels like this meeting is not very productive.

Has anyone done an after care program and was it helpful in recovery?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm that's a tough one. It seems to me if you think it's counter productive and not helping you then maybe something more individualized (like CBT) may be more beneficial?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't been in an after-care program. But, it sounds like you've given it a good try and it's not helpful for you at this point. As cantsleep said, maybe some type of therapy would be more helpful? I think, ultimately, we know what is right for us and what works for us, so follow your instinct.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i dunno but i'd lean towards you sticking it out a bit longer. a big part of recovery is commitment, and doing the next right thing even when you don't really wanna. sure folks may be talking about the Patriots or a pumpkin pie recipe sometimes, but it's part of their SOBER life. and that is what aftercare and meetings etc are about - learning how to live life on life's terms AND do it sober.

i tried to keep in mind when i was in early recovery that i didn't know jack doodly about living sober, so i withheld as much judgement as possible. that is not to say i was super good at it!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it helpful but knew there was a time for it to end....red flags if the focus isn't treatment/recovery.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can’t go wrong with quality AA meetings with decades of sobriety in the room. If the aftercare meetings are not helping then knock them on the head and try different types of meetings.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will give the aftercare a couple more tries but then Im going to look into individual therapy which was one of my early options before IOP. If I stop with the aftercare, Ill have time to do the individual therapy.

I do continue to go to aa and secular meetings and I get a lot out of those. They've become more of a priority for me as I've felt my focus on the after care meetings starting to become less enthusiastic.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

What are you doing to help the meeting along different lines?

Sobriety is action. We have to get busy or we will relapse and we may not have another recovery in us. "Doing" AA means working those 12 steps. Do them now.

Your choice. Get active or sit and watch..... Welcome to Your Sober Life. Whatcha gonna do?

I wish you the best in your sober journey!
Love and hugs,
~SB
Old 12-10-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi ciowa,

Yea that whole thing you described sounds a bit strange and disturbing to me. Why put up with it any longer than you have to? Try something else and see if that's better for you. You can always go back.

Wishing you the best!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are in a sick meeting unfortunately and IMO best to get out of it.

Find a literature based meeting / book study ... it'll be a world of difference.