Notices

Posting instead of drinking

Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Posting instead of drinking

I am still in a horrible frame of mind. Angry, resentful and exhausted. The perfect hat trick for a relapse.

I'm on week 9 and this is always the danger zone for me. It's also a bad time of year. Weather is miserable, it's dark all the time and its ramping up for the Christmas break. Two weeks of festive nightmare.

Sorry for being so negative. I'm just sick of this. I want my positive and grateful attitude back. I have my stuff packed to go swimming, counselling and a meeting planned in the next couple of days.

I need to turn around and keep going in the right direction or I'm going to end up drinking again and I'm struggling to connect with why I don't want to.

So here I am on a Sunday night. I'm sober and I'm posting instead of drinking.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well then keep on posting if it helps! Maybe go back through your post history and see the exact reasons why you quit and how good you've felt when the days aren't so low. Also: just get through right now. This hour. This day. Do you have a sobriety counter app? If so open it up and think about how awful it would feel to have to hit the reset button.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Indoor swimming is an awesome idea!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling right now, Gabe. It sounds like you have some good plans in place to help you through this. If there are events around Christmas that are stressing you, can you consider skipping them?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Well then keep on posting if it helps! Maybe go back through your post history and see the exact reasons why you quit and how good you've felt when the days aren't so low. Also: just get through right now. This hour. This day. Do you have a sobriety counter app? If so open it up and think about how awful it would feel to have to hit the reset button.
I've heard about these apps, I'll have a look and see if I can find out about them. Posting does help. It stops me drifting from here and it helps me focus on the commitment I've may. The support really helps, thank you.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I've heard about these apps, I'll have a look and see if I can find out about them. Posting does help. It stops me drifting from here and it helps me focus on the commitment I've may. The support really helps, thank you.
The one I have is for android and is called "Sobriety Timer". You can add anything in there that you were addicted to. I've added Alcohol, Marijuana, and Nail Biting (my poor teeth were begging me to stop).
Old 12-08-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Indoor swimming is an awesome idea!
It's one of the best things for me. It really reduces anxiety and gives my mental health a boost. I've not been well, so not been able to go. I think that's a big part of feeling like I do now. X
Old 12-08-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry you're struggling right now, Gabe. It sounds like you have some good plans in place to help you through this. If there are events around Christmas that are stressing you, can you consider skipping them?
I'm skipping most of them. I am going to do Christmas day with the family but just for a few hours. I'm scared of all the time I'll have. 16 days. I'm going to spend this week working out a timetable to fill the time with positive things.

Holidays are a big problem for me. I've done this 3 times this year; had 2/3 months sober then relapsed when I'm off work. I'm just feeling defeated but I'll have to dig deep and work out a way to get through it. Thanks Anna.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
The one I have is for android and is called "Sobriety Timer". You can add anything in there that you were addicted to. I've added Alcohol, Marijuana, and Nail Biting (my poor teeth were begging me to stop).
That sounds really good. I'll check it out. Thank you 💞
Old 12-08-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm skipping most of them. I am going to do Christmas day with the family but just for a few hours. I'm scared of all the time I'll have. 16 days. I'm going to spend this week working out a timetable to fill the time with positive things.

Holidays are a big problem for me. I've done this 3 times this year; had 2/3 months sober then relapsed when I'm off work. I'm just feeling defeated but I'll have to dig deep and work out a way to get through it. Thanks Anna.
I'm new to this so I'm just spit-balling but what about doing some volunteer work to fill the time? Anything to get you out of the house and away from boredom.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Look I feel you. Go take that dip. Get out of Your head. Let some Zen take over. Holidays? Are just Holidays . dont worry bout that. Focus on the now thats it. Hang in there. You won't regret it. ✌
Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Look I feel you. Go take that dip. Get out of Your head. Let some Zen take over. Holidays? Are just Holidays . dont worry bout that. Focus on the now thats it. Hang in there. You won't regret it. ✌
Ah, thanks man 💞 I think getting out my head any way that doesn't involve booze is a good idea just now. This can't last forever.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Okay, I'm feeling pissed off but for the right reasons. I'm NOT going to get stuck here.

Swimming stuff packed, clothes ironed and alarm set.

Thank you everyone. Will check in tomorrow and will start taking control back 💞💞
Old 12-08-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am still in a horrible frame of mind. Angry, resentful and exhausted. The perfect hat trick for a relapse.

I'm on week 9 and this is always the danger zone for me. It's also a bad time of year. Weather is miserable, it's dark all the time and its ramping up for the Christmas break. Two weeks of festive nightmare.

Sorry for being so negative. I'm just sick of this. I want my positive and grateful attitude back. I have my stuff packed to go swimming, counselling and a meeting planned in the next couple of days.

I need to turn around and keep going in the right direction or I'm going to end up drinking again and I'm struggling to connect with why I don't want to.

So here I am on a Sunday night. I'm sober and I'm posting instead of drinking.

I'm on week 9 and this is always the danger zone for me.

You are going to get through this continue to week 10, 11 and 12.
the danger zone will be a thing of the past.

Sorry for being so negative. I'm just sick of this. I want my positive and grateful attitude back.

Sometimes I just have to go with the negative. It will make the positive that much better when it does return. And you are walking through your fear and posting here! That is growth for sure

[B] ramping up for the Christmas break. Two weeks of festive nightmare.

Try and take this two week break as a time of self care/not worry about anything besides nurturing yourself and rest.

I always felt like hell coming back from a *break* from work when I was drinking alcoholically. No quality sleep/hungover/sick from overindulging in more poison than normal from all the *free* time

Sounds like you have great plans for exercise , mind clearing and more time for recovery.
Congrats on nine weeks that is amazing
Old 12-08-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The title of your thread is so true- much more productive. Well done Gabe.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling a little more positive Gabe
Keep moving forward!

D
Old 12-08-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can relate to anyone that says "two weeks of festive nightmare". That stuff isn't negative to me at all, it's just reality. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

around here, there are agencies that are crying for volunteers to serve meals to others during this festive nightmare, or deliver baskets, help at the foodbank...that kind of thing.
connecting that way might help with getting your head space back in a more positive direction.
just thinking of least’s constant encouragement towards gratitude.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is a hard time of year, Gabe. I’m so glad you posted. You are not alone. Glad you are skipping some of the events and going for a swim. I also find massage and yoga classes to be a good way to de stress and manage my feelings. What about also reading a good recovery book? There are so many great ones.

Keep being strong. I know you can do it!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Posting instead of drinking is a good idea. I second the suggestion of volunteering somewhere. Swimming would also be good.

Whatever you do, just don't drink!