Notices

11 months today 😄

Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 months today 😄

Coincidence l quit on New Years Day, but I think there are four or five of us here who did so.

Nothing exciting to report. It’s long since become the norm not to drink. I get the “urge” maybe twice a week and feel a glass of red would be nice. But as I’ve said before, I’d have a glass one day and another the next and so on. Nailed on certainty. That “urge” in my case is actually thirst, and a glass of water does the trick.

Highlight of the eleven months has to be a liver fibroscan in August giving me a score of 7 (normal stiffness, no scarring) and no longer any detectable fat. Fatty liver is becoming more and more common with drinkers and overweight people (and sadly, people with some medical conditions), and it should be taken far more seriously.

Two years ago, I was an obese slob with BMI 32. Now I’m about to do a triathlon. That wouldn’t be possible as a heavy drinker. So many things become possible without booze.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

11 months is wonderful, Hodd. Look at you - doing a triathlon. Happy to hear the great news about your progress.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats..that's impressive and a big indicator of the changes you've made in your life.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Congratulations on 11 months and turning your health around. I’m not a runner so a triathlon is unfathomable for me. Very impressive. Good luck with it!
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 11 months sober! Thank you for the encouraging post.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
Congratulations on 11 months and turning your health around. I’m not a runner so a triathlon is unfathomable for me. Very impressive. Good luck with it!
😀 I wasn’t a runner either. Someone new to running actually said to me recently, “It’s OK for you. You’re slim and can run OK.” I promised to show them my photo from two years ago.

I should point out there are various forms of triathlon from “sprint” through to “Ironman”. I’m going for the shorter option. I’m certainly not a natural runner, and I can barely swim.

Don’t say “unfathomable” 😃 It doesn’t have to be running or anything sporting, but us ex-drinkers can devote the time we’d wasted on drinking to something far more constructive and challenging.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Hodd

D
Old 12-01-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love inspiring stories.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats!
You got this.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Hodd!

Triathlon, great! Ironhodd already has a nice ring about it!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hodd and good luck in the triathlon. Impressive.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ravel View Post
Congratulations, Hodd!

Triathlon, great! Ironhodd already has a nice ring about it!
I’ll ask Dee for permission to change my name 😀

In case anyone’s imagining some supreme athlete, stop right now. What I will say is we owe it to ourselves to do something different, something challenging, now we’re off the booze, preferably something that would benefit from us staying sober. Put it this way, in our tri club meal recently, some people had a beer, maybe two, but no one was a heavy drinker (I can spot them).
Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations !!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hodd, such a brilliant 11 month achievement! A triathlon, how super, I hope you do really well, but just to compete is awesome.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good goin'.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's amazing Hodd. Huge congratulations on your sober time and best of luck with your Triathlon!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time, amigo.

Good luck with your tri.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

😀 I wasn’t a runner either. Someone new to running actually said to me recently, “It’s OK for you. You’re slim and can run OK.” I promised to show them my photo from two years ago.

I should point out there are various forms of triathlon from “sprint” through to “Ironman”. I’m going for the shorter option. I’m certainly not a natural runner, and I can barely swim.

Don’t say “unfathomable” 😃 It doesn’t have to be running or anything sporting, but us ex-drinkers can devote the time we’d wasted on drinking to something far more constructive and challenging.
Point taken. Once upon a time I turned to yoga for meditation, stress relief and to lower my blood pressure. It worked. I took classes all day, every day deepening my practice. I loved it so much I did a year long teacher training program (plus other continuing education courses) and began to teach. Once a week but then 5 times a day, every day of the week. I’m retired now as the wear and tear was too much but I have the same mindset with my other projects which is why I have 1000 bars of handmade soap curing on shelves above my bed . No running for me, I have bad knees and shin splints courtesy of the US Army but good luck with your triathlon. I’ll be cheering from the sidelines .
Old 12-02-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post, congratulations Hodd!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
Point taken. Once upon a time I turned to yoga for meditation, stress relief and to lower my blood pressure. It worked. I took classes all day, every day deepening my practice. I loved it so much I did a year long teacher training program (plus other continuing education courses) and began to teach.
To me, that’s worth numerous triathlons and then some! Respect. I do one yoga class a week (not very successfully yet &#128512 and have had one-to-one classes and tried to read about it. It’s something that gets better the more you understand it.

Is it fair to say you never see an unhealthy person doing yoga, or is it a chicken and egg question?