Notices

Suggested Vitamins & Minerals for Withdrawal?

Old 11-28-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggested Vitamins & Minerals for Withdrawal?

I have come across a few websites which propose a list of supplements to be taken in order to help with withdrawal. I am on day 18 today, and as I sit here typing this at 2 am I'm unable to sleep and feeling a bit anxious (not really anxious, but it is slightly unpleasant).

One website I have found, which appears to be non-commercial (or at least it's not overtly commercial) suggests these:

1. Multivitamin
2. B Vitamins
3. Vitamin C
4. Vitamin D3
5. Magnesium
6. Omega 3
7. Glutamine
8. L-Tyrosine
9. 5-HTP
10. L-Theanine
11. N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
12. Korean Red Ginseng
13. Milk thistle
14. Passion flower
15. Rhodiola Rosea
16. Ashwagandha
17. Mucuna Pruriens
18. Kudzu Root

I have been taking Magnesium, B Vitamins, Glutamine , Vitamin D3, Omega 3 and Milk Thistle. However I am keen to try Rhodiola Rosea - as reviews seem to indicate it reduces anxiety.

I'm just wondering what supplements other people have taken. Has anything been particularly beneficial?
Old 11-28-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I appreciate there's a variety of health advice out there.

I'll just weigh in with my usual caveat here and suggest that everyone sees their doctor before starting any kind of supplement, especially if you have a chronic health condition or are on medication.

I know everyone wants to feel great as soon as possible but withdrawal is painful for a reason.

I took a multi vitamin, Not sure if it did any good but it didn't do any harm.

That said I honestly think eating well, keeping hydrated and sleeping as much as one can is just as good if not better than dosing up on vitamins for most people.

just my .02

D
Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I appreciate there's a variety of health advice out there.

I'll just weigh in with my usual caveat here and suggest that everyone sees their doctor before starting any kind of supplement, especially if you have a chronic health condition or are on medication.

I know everyone wants to feel great as soon as possible but withdrawal is painful for a reason.

I took a multi vitamin, Not sure if it did any good but it didn't do any harm.

That said I honestly think eating well, keeping hydrated and sleeping as much as one can is just as good if not better than dosing up on vitamins for most people.

just my .02

D
Absolutely. I'm just getting desperate.

I'm looking at passion flower as a way to calm myself naturally.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had people recommend lavender to me for anxiety. Didn't seem to help me much, but it smells nice

D
Old 11-28-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

St. John's Wort helps with anxiety or nervousness.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

During the first few months I spent everyday in one of my local parks, I would pack a lunch, grab a book and sit at a picnic table and read for hours on end, when the reading became boring I would walk around the park a few times. I have to say that those park visits were huge part of keeping me sober considering I had so much time every day due to losing my job because of alcohol. Three years later and still sober I still spend my days off reading and having lunch at the park. Sometimes being out in the fresh air and sun shine can be the best vitamins for the mind and soul
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My doctor knows I take a multi-vitamin. I always let him know if I add any supplements. He knows all the meds I take so can advise me if a new supplement would interact with any of my meds.

I agree 100% about being outside and in the fresh air and sunshine. A nice walk with my dog always makes me feel better.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

In the long run I found that there was no magic pill or supplement that was able to help with my anxiety - both the clinical type and the withdrawal related. Bottom line, withdrawals are uncomfortable. I did not start getting regular sleep for many weeks after I quit. Chronic alcohol abuse literally changes our brain chemistry, and it takes time for it to normalize again.

Cutting way back on sugars and caffiene was helpful initially. Getting exercise, even just a walk, helped too. Avoiding stimulation before bed like TV and internet was also helpful for the insomnia. For my clinical anxiety i also needed some help from a counseling perspective, and have learned a lot of things related to mediation and mindfulness that have made a huge difference in the long run.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't underestimate what the benefits of a little exercise are. Take a walk. Take another!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

B vitamins in particular thiamine and b12 I was prescribed masses of them and I have to take them for the rest of my life for the damage to my nervous system. They made a big difference in helping the shakes, memory fog and anxiety that I had even weeks after stopping drinking. Out of all the things you listed put those vitamins at the top.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My doctor prescribes Multivitamin, Thiamine and Vit B complex - so it might be worth speaking to your doctor? Apart from that, just my personal experience not medical advice, I found Valerian and St Johns Wort really helped in the first few weeks for anxiety etc. And sleep or calm tea is also really good!
Old 11-29-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We get so depleted in ... everything...I for one had so much alcohol running thru me at all times that even when I ate/ate well, I just couldn't retain the nutrients I needed.

B12, potassium (*sidenote: I learned that dangerously low potassium can kill you), and throw in a multi was the simple and effective path.... WITH TIME.

I know things feel desperate at first, as you said - but it took me far longer than a couple of wks (even months) to see the effects in real terms. Hydration is hugely important, too. That's still a top priority w me, all day long.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

B12, potassium (*sidenote: I learned that dangerously low potassium can kill you), and throw in a multi was the simple and effective path.... WITH TIME
It's really dangerous to supplement potassium unless it's doctor prescribed. Be super careful supplementing with anything without a doctor's suggestion.

I think there is a big problem with listing 20+ different supplements on an addiction site. First of all, we tend to take anything at any time to make us feel better. Just look at that thread a couple days ago where the person took 10 ibuprofen and a handful of SSNRIs looking for a high.

Combining a bunch of unregulated supplements is dangerous, you don't know what can happen with different combos of stuff in high doses.

Okay, stepping off box now.

Auchie, I drank herbal tea. I didn't take any meds, I had decided I was going to let my body find its way back. It did. It took time, way longer than a couple weeks. I listened to quiet instrumental classical music, I took walks outside, I stopped watching the news, I watched comedies, I stayed away from difficult people, I cleaned my house, I cooked good food and I waited. The walks outdoors are so good.

This will pass. I hope you don't throw a bunch of pills and supplements at it.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's true, I was drinking pots of hibiscus tea because it's good for the liver, then read in high doses it's bad for the liver! Switched to pots of chamomile tea and dehydrated myself as it is a mild diuretic lol. Typical addict can't do anything in moderation. So apart from b vits which I think are the important ones I just have a healthy diet, as that keeps everyone else alive and well.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you to everybody who has replied, there are some useful suggestions here which have been noted.

Many people are suggesting walks outside, which sounds ideal except that I am suffering from agoraphobia at the moment.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's really dangerous to supplement potassium unless it's doctor prescribed. Be super careful supplementing with anything without a doctor's suggestion.

I think there is a big problem with listing 20+ different supplements on an addiction site. First of all, we tend to take anything at any time to make us feel better. Just look at that thread a couple days ago where the person took 10 ibuprofen and a handful of SSNRIs looking for a high.

Combining a bunch of unregulated supplements is dangerous, you don't know what can happen with different combos of stuff in high doses.

Okay, stepping off box now.

Auchie, I drank herbal tea. I didn't take any meds, I had decided I was going to let my body find its way back. It did. It took time, way longer than a couple weeks. I listened to quiet instrumental classical music, I took walks outside, I stopped watching the news, I watched comedies, I stayed away from difficult people, I cleaned my house, I cooked good food and I waited. The walks outdoors are so good.

This will pass. I hope you don't throw a bunch of pills and supplements at it.
Yes, you're right. I will be careful what I take and everybody should check to determine what is safe to take.

I am off work at the moment, and unfortunately cannot afford to take months off.

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
That's true, I was drinking pots of hibiscus tea because it's good for the liver, then read in high doses it's bad for the liver! Switched to pots of chamomile tea and dehydrated myself as it is a mild diuretic lol. Typical addict can't do anything in moderation. So apart from b vits which I think are the important ones I just have a healthy diet, as that keeps everyone else alive and well.
I have been drinking chamomile tea too, along with red bush tea.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Many people are suggesting walks outside, which sounds ideal except that I am suffering from agoraphobia at the moment.
Paranoia, delusions, hallucinations and fear are all part of early recovery. I went to AA meetings even though every fiber of my being screamed, "NO!!!" at the suggestion. I had serious PTSD, was afraid of my own shadow - literally - and I can relate.

That's why we keep saying, "Take a walk outdoors." Because even though it seems scary, it's the way out.

No pun intended.

Here, this was helpful. I had to get out of my head. Don't let those fear thoughts spin around in your head all day, they build up that way. Break the habit.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry about your Agoraphobia Auchie. During my heaviest drinking times the anxiety was so bad in the morning I couldn't imagine getting in my car and driving to work which led to losing a great job but I always mustered enough courage to get me to the liquor store at 6am even though I was extremely paranoid being outside. After about a week sober I couldn't get enough of being outside, not only relaxing in the park but getting back to my hobbies.
I had blood work done about at about two weeks sober which showed vitamin D was low probably from living like a vampire/lack of sunshine.
For me a multi vitamin and healthy eating does the trick.
Maybe a blood work would be a good start for you?
Old 11-29-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

a lot of supplements are worthless, altho we may experience a placebo effect. nor do many supplements have an immediate "cure" effect. for example, one cup of chamomile tea does not resolve sleep issues. it is more likely that as a nice warm drink, which smells nice and maybe has some sweetness added, it just feels nice.

remember the age old maxim that recommends chicken soup for a cold? there is actually some science now that supports that. because of the real food ingredients IN the soup. "Studies have shown that a hearty bowl of chicken soup may help you to clear nasal congestion and have a mild anti-inflammatory effect that can help ease cold symptoms".

we can so much for ourselves by just eating real food.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have to be very careful with supplements cuz some that are supposed to be calming actually work the opposite for me! Rhodiola made me very anxious as does SJW,Theanine,some forms of magnesium,,too many B vitamins,etc best to try one at a time in small doses and see what works for you,milk thistle is supposed to be good for the liver but if you're on any medications it can interfere with the dosage,best to consult your doctor about any supplements and congratulations on 18 days!💗
Old 11-29-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
I have to be very careful with supplements cuz some that are supposed to be calming actually work the opposite for me! Rhodiola made me very anxious as does SJW,Theanine,some forms of magnesium,,too many B vitamins,etc best to try one at a time in small doses and see what works for you,milk thistle is supposed to be good for the liver but if you're on any medications it can interfere with the dosage,best to consult your doctor about any supplements and congratulations on 18 days!💗
That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I have orders of rhodiola and theanine on the way, among other things. I will be cautious.