Notices

A Sober Thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Sober Thanksgiving

Hi All! Just wanted to wish you all the Happiest of Holidays! I'm going into my third sober Thanksgiving, although I don't post much I read here everyday which was (is) a big part of my sobriety plan that has worked wonders.
My Thanksgivings used to consist of waking up at 7 or 8 am, pounding beer then trying to "sleep it off" before going to moms house for dinner where I would count the minuets before I could leave and resume my drinking alone at home...ugggh what a terrible way to exist.
Thank you all for your daily contributions to this great place! And a special thanks to Dee, Anna and all the forum leaders for sacrificing a lot of time, energy and sometimes frustration to keep this place open for those who need support and encouragement to just make it one day sober.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you, JScatt. Congrats on the 3rd sober Thanksgiving.

Mine used to fly by in a blur. I'd start out ok, and never meant to over indulge. My family always had cocktails & my mom would make something called Artillery Punch. So - I didn't even have to wait to go home and drink. I remember waking up the next day & wondering what I said or did. So very sad.

I'm so thankful we don't live that way anymore.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. Congrats on your third Sober Thanksgiving.
I would be sick on Thanksgiving- The ever before it would be a big drinking day for me. so either drink or be very uncomfortable, sick to my stomach/ headache..panicky- trying to hold it together.
Grateful today that I am relaxed, sober and full from being to eat and enjoy my food.
I wish everyone a sober thanksgiving full of well being.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Hey I get that, I used to drink alone all the time. I had more fun talking to myself while I was drinking …. Those days are over and congrats on the 3 years i cant wait to say that

Keep on keeping on ~ Joe Dirt
Old 11-28-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

D
Old 11-28-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
My Thanksgivings used to consist of waking up at 7 or 8 am, pounding beer then trying to "sleep it off" before going to moms house for dinner where I would count the minuets before I could leave and resume my drinking alone at home..
That was a depressing thought! Welcome to the good life.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving

This is my 2nd sober turkey day!

Ain't life grand...
Old 11-28-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking use to control my Thanksgiving. The night before kicks off a holiday weekend, automatic drinking. Start out Thanksgiving hung over, anxiety and all that misery. Have to drive about an hour to see family. Cant wait to get there and get a drink. Just enough to calm my nerves, I'm not gonna drive all wasted again this year. That would be just crazy on a holiday weekend. Start out ok but then I need to slam some beer and grab another shot, dinner will be ready soon and i need a good buzz before the food kills it. Darn, I ate too much. I'm usually a craft beer drinker but I'm gonna need some scotch or something with enough alcohol to get past all this food in my stomach. I have to drive and I hope I dont get pulled over. Not that I'm concerned enough to control my drinking, it just doesn't seem to be an option. I'll take a moment to fantasize about a day when they legalize drunk driving. That's what it use to be.

Today I enjoyed visiting with family. I remember everything. I had a couple helpings of food and didn't give a crap about maintaining a buzz. I enjoyed the drive there, I enjoyed the drive home. Not that I can afford to get tickets but its not the end of the World if I get stopped.

I'm not going to wake up hung over tomorrow trying to remember what I did or said and trembling with anxiety.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

This was my first sober Thanksgiving with my drinking in-laws. So like others, usually it's Wed. night - kicking off Holiday weekends, I'd drink to blackout. Then I'd drag my ass out of bed for thanksgiving, get to the in-laws and have a hangover, be tired as ****, but hello Southern Comfort! I'd try to go slow because I didn't want to make a fool of myself. I'd always feel ill at dinner, everything was so warm and hot and so many people, hung over and trying to maintain a buzz but not get drunk - the typical things that ended up in frustration, anxiety and wanting to jump out of my skin to get home and finish my normal drinking proper.

This year - none of that. I went later and brought my own car. Sure there were drinks but nobody was slamming anything and without the crushing hangover or trying to stay with it but drink game going on I was able to relax. I loved all the food. It was delicious and not tainted with taste buds dulled by booze.

I had a cheesecake, pumpkin pie and ice cream. So I did indulge on my sugars tonight, but sooo tasty.

I ended up staying until the end despite my worries I couldn't handle being around the alcohol. I was surprised. It's those sober muscles being built.

It was awesome today! Planning on many sober Thanksgivings to come.

I came here to post Sober Thanksgiving but I saw yours JSCatt, congratulations on 3 sober Thanksgivings. Happy Holiday!
Old 11-28-2019, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope it's been a good Thanksgiving for all!
Old 11-28-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for your message of hope. And congrats on your third sober Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I kind of posted a thread on this subject . oops didnt see it. Anyways yes this was first Turkey day sober it was great. All the food was made with sober love. The real deal. Before I would prep all the food then not eat so that my buzz was consistent. Then wonder why I was a wreck. Fast forward now at 209 days sober. Did all things except booze. Look forward to next turkey day. Counting the days till then. ✌
Old 11-29-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It was my 7th sober Turkey Day! Some of the folks in attendance were having a beer or a glass of wine but it didn't bother me in the slightest. I hope it was good for everyone here.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies and sharing your before and after stories!
Old 11-29-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on all who had a sober Thanksgiving or any sober day for that matter!

Very grateful for my 33rd or maybe 34th sober Thanksgiving and 14th Thanksgiving without sugar & bingeing.